Best DCDivX Settings?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best DCDivX Settings?

Post by az_bont »

I'm trying to convert some movies into DivX to play on the Dreamcast and I don't know what settings to use. The guide at Consolevision says to use 500kbps or up it to 700kbps for VCD quality. I tried converting the Resident Evil trailer to 300kbps, 500kbps and 700kbps but all of them had macroblocks. Even with 500kbps it was quite noticable, but that could just be because it's a fast-moving clip.

So, my question is: What are the best settings to use for a complete film, from DVD? The kind of films I plan on doing would have a fair amount of action in them (I plan on doing Mission Impossible, Lethal Weapon 4, Austin Powers 1/2 and some others) but aren't non-stop action all the way through. What would be the best settings? Is there any way I can up the resolution at all?

And help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Mr. Superbad
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Mr. Superbad »

What resolution are you encoding at, and what resize filter are you using?
What is the sound encoded at?
What codec are you using?

I don't think there is a way to totally eliminate macroblocks, although results are better when you rip from dvd's, and the higher the resolution the video is at the more noticable they become.

The best results i've had have been using resolutions that equal around 70,000 - 80,000 pixels of resolution or less (ex 352x240, 416x176, 384x206, 356x192) and encoding at 450-540kbps video and 48-64kbps 22hz-32hz mono audio (anything less sounds like crap to me), for 29.97fps videos. I prefer precise bilinear filter, although it doens't seem to make a big difference. I've heard bilinear is better for reducing the size of a video and makes it more easily compressable.

The best quality video i've had so far has been 356x192 at 500kbps and with a max quantisizer of 10, with 64k 22hz mono audio, which resulted in an average video bitrate of 540kbps. Lots of action in the movie with no skipping or freezing.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I used the guide at ConsoleVision. I don't know why but for some reason when I used DivX 4.0 it produced a file size about 25% smalled than when I used 5.0. Anyway here's a link to the guide: http://www.consolevision.com/dreamcast/ ... ndex.shtml

If I lowered the sound to 32kbps would I be able to gain much kbps? Or would it be miniscule and wouldn't really make a noticable difference?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Mr. Superbad
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Mr. Superbad »

az_bont wrote:If I lowered the sound to 32kbps would I be able to gain much kbps? Or would it be miniscule and wouldn't really make a noticable difference?
Yeah, there is a tradeoff between video and audio quality. If you make the audio quality lower, you can make the video quality higher, but I couldn't tell you by how much.

I've read about people encoding at 700kbps at 23.97 fps and having their videos play fine with 32kbps mp3 audio. Or you can always decimate the framerate by 2 for real high quality, but i find it to be too jerky.

I haven't been able to play a file encoded above 550kbps without skipping, so I wouldn't know if there is a huge difference in quality.
soulspaceuk
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

ok...

Post by soulspaceuk »

right... forget your 700kbps...

switch on Psychodynamic Modelling to Normal or Strong & go down to 350kbps on the video - do a 2-pass... DivX might bring the average upto more near 450kbps depending on your video - but it'll look good - the psychodynamic modelling gets rid of blockiness - it takes quite a bit longer to process the two passes, but it's really worth it.. you can get 2 nice looking movies on a CD..

try it.
Jon
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Ok, I used the DIVX guide for DUmmies, but I don't understand how to limit the frames in VDub, sometimes I still get over 100FPS.
XDelusion
Psychotic MOD
Psychotic MOD

Post by XDelusion »

Also on some files when I goto save the AVI I get this message:

Error Initializing Audio Stream Compression:
The requested conversion is not possible.

How do I avoid all this crap, a lot of stuff I get off the net plays fine, but when you want to convert it to VCD or for the DC, you got problems.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

XDelusion wrote:sometimes I still get over 100FPS.
Are you saying that your video plays at 100fps? I doubt it does (maybe you're encoding at 100fps?).
I don't understand how to limit the frames in VDub
In Vdub Go to Video -> Frame Rate to check your frame rate. Click "decimate by 2" to lower the frame rate.
Error Initializing Audio Stream Compression:
The requested conversion is not possible.
Make sure you have the conversion and compression at the same sampling rate (probably 22050hz).
I used the guide at ConsoleVision. I don't know why but for some reason when I used DivX 4.0 it produced a file size about 25% smalled than when I used 5.0.
DivX5.0 (& 5.1) seemed to produce larger video files but the bug was fixed in DivX5.02 :)
jaikben
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by jaikben »

I used the DCDIVXDUMMIES tutorial, and everything went OK, With one movie I got problems with the audio but futher rest everything is working. The only problem I encounterd was the audio ( mpeg3 layer ) but when I downloaded the mp3 encoder everything wokrs fine !! thanks for the people who invented an produced this program and tutorials!!!
You need people like me to put you're fucking at and say that's the bad guy
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

ZacMc wrote:
I used the guide at ConsoleVision. I don't know why but for some reason when I used DivX 4.0 it produced a file size about 25% smalled than when I used 5.0.
DivX5.0 (& 5.1) seemed to produce larger video files but the bug was fixed in DivX5.02 :)
I was using DivX 5.02 anyway. I didn't think it would work but it loaded up fine on Beta 3 of DCDivX.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

encoder

Post by Quzar »

i have taken to re-encodin all my anime collection ((70+gigs)) into dcdivx format. To ensure that i had the best method i did a lot of tests and found that the highest quality that i would get without having problems running was dixv5.0.2 700kbps 320x240(or close to it) and audio in mp3 24000hz(if it is from 48000 if 44100 then 22050) at max bitrate 8 bit stereo. also i always use precise bilinear for resize . DONT ever use nearest neighbor it produces problems similar to aliasing in rendering
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Re: encoder

Post by az_bont »

quzar wrote:i have taken to re-encodin all my anime collection ((70+gigs)) into dcdivx format. To ensure that i had the best method i did a lot of tests and found that the highest quality that i would get without having problems running was dixv5.0.2 700kbps 320x240(or close to it) and audio in mp3 24000hz(if it is from 48000 if 44100 then 22050) at max bitrate 8 bit stereo. also i always use precise bilinear for resize . DONT ever use nearest neighbor it produces problems similar to aliasing in rendering
Thank you - I was hoping to get a combination of settings that would allow me to have 700kbps.