Best Self Boot Program

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
SurXes
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best Self Boot Program

Post by SurXes »

i know nothing about self-boot programs i tried this link for Stu5555's program and it wouldnt work i couldnt find the server is the link dead? anyway can someone tell me an easy to use self boot program thanks

[also MP2 file? i can put any MP2 file with the dreamsnes plain files and it will play at the main menu? whats an MP2 file anyway?]

[so far i have burnt the Nero 6.9mb Version 0.94 image it worked fine and im thinking of burning "Nero CD-ROM (ISO)" ROMDISCS but i have some questions i read in the "DreamSNES v0.94Rom Disk Burning Tutorial Nero" that i should name the folder games, and i read in a post that i had to name it ROMS so it would work, and when using the Nero CD-ROM (ISO)" ROMDISCS do i still need to add an MP2 file? i got this file from a post in the forum i dont remember who posted it but the file is named QBB_more_ini.zip it has a lot of ini files theres a dreamsnes one too ]
~.::?urXes 6raffiX::.

"Distributor local street corner contributor"~J5
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Try suse's selfboot toolkit. Get ithere
It's very easy to use.

An MP2 is an audio file like MP3, only it the previous version of an MP.

Also I tried different MP2 and MP3 files with DreamSNES and they did not appear. DreamSNES still worked fine but I guess you can only have "beautyis.mp2" in the sounds folder.
You can try putting in other mp2's in there it won't hurt in any way because they emulator will still run. Let me know if they work though.
Last edited by DeGamer1 on Thu Jan 17, 2002 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
SurXes
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SurXes »

umm, i dont have any MP2's all i the MP's that i would like to try a MP3 can i get a converter somewere?

Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

um, just to clear up what DeGamer said, MP doesn't stand for "music player" it stands for MPEG layer x, so MPEG layer 1 compression is called MP1 (but its not used much) MPEG 2 = MP2 and so on.

I believe you can extract an MP3 to a .WAV and then recode it using MPEG2 audio compression - I'm not sure of any programs that will do this offhand; possibly VirtualDub or TMPEGENC (or whatever its called) as I believe they both have audio, video and audio+video compression options. You will probably need the MPEG2 encryption codec as well, but I wouldn't know where to find it - there may *possibly* be a WinAMP plugin of some sort that will do it, but as I say haven't done much experimentation with it.

The DreamSNES readme certainly *seems* to suggest that you can put your own .MP2 files in and play them, but to be honest I was never bothered with trying, as like you most of my compressed music is in the .MP3 format (with the occasional .ra or .wma in there for good measure ;) )
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

you can get dssbs from colsolevision here:
http://www.dcvision.com/files/dssbsfinal.zip

since the old 2.49 version was just uploaded onto the old message boards, when the bords were changed, so was the link... sorry bout that, but the final version is better anyways (since there was a non-working option in the last one)...i of course feel that my kit is the best, it allows you to burn with 4 differant burning programs (actually there might be more that will work with the .bin files, and i can make .iso files as well) but SBB looks better and will allow you to burn selfboots without any outside programs (well, they are outside, but cdrecord is free to download and distribute, so its just included), so it has its high points...samme with suse's kit, it basically does like mine (same commands/programs used minus cdwin/fireburner support) except with more instructions (which is good for some people and bad for others) and individual batch files for each emu/app (instead of one auto-detecting bat)
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Disco gets my vote for best self booting kit as well, for what its worth - I'm gonna have to remember that link of his as well, as I have a feeling I'll be pointing people that way again soon enough...
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

hey Nyarlathotep,
just use DSMORS to keep the link close (thats "disco stu's method of rememboring stuff"... just pm yourself with it...thats how i keep links close at hand)hehe 8^)
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Yup. It'll do as a workaround - I normally just send people to lilmuckers site nowadays since I noticed hes got *all* of the self boot kits hosted on there... but he probably doesn't have your 'final' edition... but you consolevision boys need all the hits you can get right? :P

Out of interest, how come theres no 'self boot progs' page on consolevision? (yeah, like DC Emu can talk... :roll: ) if I hadn't noticed your release on the news, I'd never have known about it / been able to find it... as I think 3 of your members now have self boot kits out, it might be something to think about - for one thing, I can send most burning probs to http://www.consolevison.com/hypothetica ... _page.html and save repeating meself 20 times a day! :P
SurXes
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SurXes »

discostu55555, when i try to download it it just stops a 69% with 1 second left.

Nyarlathotep, that link doesnt work cannot find server.

Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Yeah, probably because it doesn't exist - hence the name hypothetical_selfbootpage....

Thats why I was suggesting they make one; it would make my job a lot easier :P

But I believe Spaz-O-Matic is planning on doing pretty much exactly that... in the meantime, you might want to check out lilmuckers site at http://www.spider-console.co.uk which has mirrors to most of the different self boot progs out there, so you can mix and match to find what solution works best for you (but I personally can't get his kit working right - it seems to delete the ISO when you try and make a NERO image of it)

ho-hum.

And of course, when I get MY RPGfinished, Im planning on making a site with some self boot progs and tutorials on, as, well, 90% of all posts in General Help are probs with ROM disks...
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

Out of interest, how come theres no 'self boot progs' page on consolevision?
i dont know... im not one of those "consolevision boys" so i dont have a say in what there site has up (although i toyed around with the idea for a selfboot page for either here or consolevision, but i just lost interest because of certain "things")... they do host burner0's page, so you can get SBB from there (but he hasnt updated in quite some time (no QBB or QBB ini's... SBB ini's are getting out of date with all the updated emu releases)and suse already has his own page, so i dont think a selfboot app page is really needed all that much, but a dedicated place hosting all the kits would be nice for downloading and comparison...
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

um.... have you looked at burner0's page recently?

Its now a psychology essay, with a tiny text link to his self boot page at the top...

Not that its not an interesting read, I just feel a bit funny sending people there...

Yeah, a self boot apps and tutorials page is *definitely* needed *somewhere*... just a question of time and effort...
discostu55555
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by discostu55555 »

just click the link at the top of his page...