Damn posts keep getting locked before I can defend myself...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by toastman »

The only reason people steal software is because it is easy.

No other reason. And approximately 95% of the crap you warezed you will hardly use. Don't tell me you actually have a use for Windows XP Corporate. You could have upgraded to XP Home or Professional for a fraction of the cost of Corporate but since its all free anyway, just get the biggest. I'm sorry but even though I could get all the latest games and albums free, I don't. I don't copy my friends' CD's. I don't record rented movies (mainly because I'm looking to buy, but don't want to unless it is good.). The only mp3s I've downloaded are OC remixes and the last Smashing Pumpkins album (for my wife, it's a free album distributed as mp3s :P ). There was a short point in my life where I did download pirated software, but I don't anymore for mostly the reasons you are not supposed to do d/l warez. (I had like 3 things: Office, MSVS, and Photoshop 5.5). And recording TV shows is perfectly legal.

Trying to justify it by saying: "We all do it." is lame. You cannot justify it. I'm sure your landlord felt justified in taking your dog. Doesn't make it right.

If all cars came with no locks, keyless ignitions, and no alarms, I bet auto theft would shoot through the roof as well.
No signature.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

toastman wrote:The only reason people steal software is because it is easy.

Trying to justify it by saying: "We all do it." is lame. You cannot justify it. I'm sure your landlord felt justified in taking your dog. Doesn't make it right.

If all cars came with no locks, keyless ignitions, and no alarms, I bet auto theft would shoot through the roof as well.
Good points.... and for the record, I don't condone warez, I don't like to talk about warez. But I am guilty of downloading MP3's as are 99% of us. Not you, but most of us are. I just think it was wrong for Kron to say that he lost respect for MO. It's legally not right, and shouldn't be talked about here anyway... I was just saying it's the same principle as downloading mp3's and whatnot... and I think you're right, recording TV shows is legal.
The only limitations we have, are the ones we set for ourselves...
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

MidnightObsidian wrote: That is very true. I own a cracked copy of Flash MX, WindowsXP Corporate, OfficeXP, Adobe Essentials (among virtually every other piece of software in existence). Sure, I use them all the time. Sure, neither Macromedia nor Microsoft nor Adobe made any money. But if you think about it, they wouldn't have made any money whether I downloaded it or not. I don't have hundreds of dollars to pay for software, so I wouldn't have bought it either way. In my opinion, they aren't losing (or gaining) anything. I'm just benefitting.

If software was less expensive, I'd be happy to shell out some money for it. It just doesn't make sense to me to pay fifty dollars for a game I'm going to beat in a week. It takes me several to get that much money.
W00t for you! Why support legitimately free software like all those open source programs you might hear people talk about when you can steal professional quality software? :roll:

Facts for the morally bankrupt

If you think software is too expensive - *dont USE it*. Professional quality, say, art packages are expensive for a reason - they are for *professional* users - you dont need Photoshop to make a sig for a forum when there are *hundreds* of free or shareware alternatives available. Like you dont need Soundforge to trim a WAV and you dont need 3D Studio Max to make a Quake skin :roll:

GIMP is great, a smaller *legal* download than Photoshop and almost as capable, unless you are loking to use photoshop *professionally* in which case you really should be buying your own licence if you are profiting from the use of the software.

The side effect of using high quality but *free* alternatives to software is that the professional software then has to follow suit as it loses customers and either massivel improve its software (a good thing) or turn to a similar pricing model as its competition (also a good thing).

Its also a well known fact that the fact that warez are so easily available on the internet gives the companies makign software of all kinds enough justification to raise the price to compensate - so dont go talking about it being management and bosses losing money; its the people who actually *pay* for the software who get scalped because they are subsidising pricks like you :evil:

Those of you who don't remember such things here is a little story:
Once upon a time there was an internet browser called Netscape, and it was shareware. Then another company came along and wanted to knock Netscapes number one position in the browser market away by giving theirs away *free*; and this browser was called Internet Explorer. Call it a hunch, Id say everyone not reading this in Opera is reading it in IE.

Thats how things work. Companies get successful becuase people buy their stuff or they are reputable. If a lot of people are actively using a free program, it gets more feedback, more development and more popularity - who would buy an MP3 player post-WinAMP?

If a free version of a program is better than any commercial one, there *has* to be either massive improvements in the program or a change to a different pricing model, namely free for inidvidual use or commercially for professional use, which I presume is something you would be happier with than with having to (god forbid) pay for software you use frequently :roll:
Token99 wrote: Why? Because he doesn't share the same views as you? Have you ever downloaded an mp3? Have you ever recorded a song off the radio? Have you ever recorded a movie off of TV or one that you've rented?
A different argument but:
downloaded an MP3 - yeah, all MP3s are illegal, all ROMs are illegal, we're all warezers, I cant beleive the RIAA are allowing http://www.mp3.com to still operate :roll:

recorded a song off the radio - no, but presumably if its aired a lot its to get you interested in the band and eventually buy the album as singles and concerts both do. Id assume its no different to the legal MP3s you can get from sites such as Amazon.com as a taster of the album.

Movie off TV - is paid for by the commercials that fill it

One I've rented - no, I don't have the mind frame that anything I have paid anything for for any amount of time is automatically mine forever.
I dont go to the library and scan all the books I take out either. :roll:
Token99 wrote: Copying your friends CD, recording TV shows, recording rentals, downloading mp3s, downloading pirated software are all the exact same thing
No, theyre not... :?
I hope everyone who goes on about how they're somehow *entitled* to have whatever they want whenever they want it at no cost to themselves gets a job and gets ripped off by someone.
Then again I guess you cant understand what it feels like to see stuff you've worked hard on being ripped off by someone else to make a quick buck :evil:

...and if you feel flamed by the above, don't go assuming that everybody automatically has as little integrity as you do. A lot of people pay full prices for things because thats what the people who made the product are charging, and they are *entitled* to charge what they want for what they have made. and those people get *really* annoyed when someone with no ethics but broadband starts boasting about their warez collections not costing anyoen anything :evil:
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

toastman wrote:The only reason people steal software is because it is easy.

No other reason. And approximately 95% of the crap you warezed you will hardly use. Don't tell me you actually have a use for Windows XP Corporate. You could have upgraded to XP Home or Professional for a fraction of the cost of Corporate but since its all free anyway, just get the biggest. I'm sorry but even though I could get all the latest games and albums free, I don't. I don't copy my friends' CD's. I don't record rented movies (mainly because I'm looking to buy, but don't want to unless it is good.). The only mp3s I've downloaded are OC remixes and the last Smashing Pumpkins album (for my wife, it's a free album distributed as mp3s :P ). There was a short point in my life where I did download pirated software, but I don't anymore for mostly the reasons you are not supposed to do d/l warez. (I had like 3 things: Office, MSVS, and Photoshop 5.5). And recording TV shows is perfectly legal.

machina 2? Good album, and legal :D (http://www.spfc.org/news-press/articles ... nt_id=1302)

Sure, I've warezed, but only old games I can't find. If I could find them, and it would give money to the developers, I probably would. Some exceptions, but there are reasons.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Nyarlathotep wrote:no ethics but broadband
I'm sorry for interrupting the vibe here, but that is one great quote. :D

atf: Yes, Machina 2. I went through the trouble of making a cover and label for it as well.
No signature.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

Nyarlathotep wrote: ...and if you feel flamed by the above, don't go assuming that everybody automatically has as little integrity as you do.
Ummm... I'm not condoning warez. I don't feel flamed by the above, you have a right to your opinion. You're absolutely right, people can charge whatever they want for whatever they create.
Nyarlathotep wrote: A different argument but:
downloaded an MP3 - yeah, all MP3s are illegal, all ROMs are illegal, we're all warezers, I cant beleive the RIAA are allowing http://www.mp3.com to still operate
Mp3.com has gotten into a lot of trouble, it started out being a garage band site. Alannis Morissette (I believe) owned a lot of stock at the beginning of Mp3.com and put her music on there. Slowly and surely other artists put their music on there also. Just within the last 2 years it's become more of a mainstream place for popular artists and pushed most of the garage bands aside (for monetary reasons I'm sure).

The thing is, if you're going to argue a point, you have to stick to your guns. You can't say, downloading pirated software is bad, then turn around turn on Kazaa and download your new favorite song. Or download some non-PD roms, because in the laws eyes it's all illegal. I'm comfortable with the way I come to conclusions in my mind, and I don't believe everything I read and hear. I surely don't believe half the crap that's fed to us as children, but hey, I'm a free thinker. So for the record...
I DON'T CONDONE WAREZ, I DON'T CONDONE THE USE OF NON-PD ROMS, I DON'T CONDONE THE DOWNLOADING OF MP3'S... but lets run a poll and see who's innocent...
Lupin[lvl]
Gentleman Thief
Gentleman Thief

Post by Lupin[lvl] »

Token99 wrote:The thing is, if you're going to argue a point, you have to stick to your guns. You can't say, downloading pirated software is bad, then turn around turn on Kazaa and download your new favorite song.
people are arguing what they feel are right and wrong. and people are explaining why the illegality or legality of something is right. that does not mean they live by legality. they are talking about what they feel is right, and this coincides with legality, some more than others.

this is why person X will say downloading DC things is wrong, as they feel they have an understanding of how it is negatively affecting a positive industry, and at the same time will feel okay about downloading mp3 XYZ because they also feel they have an understanding of the industry, but feel its affecting a negative industry negatively, so it does not bother them. though that is a hypothetical person X

and to say joeA shouldnt loose respect for so n so is not right. you loose respect for someone when you feel their opinion holds no weight because it is irrevertibly skewed from your own. to say one should respect everyone for voicing their opinion in the correct way, that does not mean you should respect someone for the opinion expressed
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

Exactly what Midnight said.

Nyar, Kron, and Toastman, you would be sick if you went to http://www.deviantart.com

An extremely large majority of the people there have pirated art software, which I have no problem with at all. I myself, have recently been interested in 3 Dimesional art, so I picked up the latest software and have been looking for tutorials. I really feel strongly that using warez as a means of self expression is not wrong at all.

The fact is, just as Midnight said, I wouldn't have bought them if I could. Plain and simple.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

It's just so funny to me, because people have these super strong opinions and the only reason they have those opinions is because it's in their industry. Well, I'm in the music industry, and I still download mp3's. It's wrong according to the legal system, and it'll happen to us if we ever get discovered that's for sure. What I don't understand is how someone can defend the principle of something, but think that it doesn't apply to all areas of the same subject. I'm not bull headed, but excuse me if I don't believe that everyone on this board hasn't downloaded a non-PD or mp3 they didn't own, it's the exact same thing... period.
Last edited by Narcissus on Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
MidnightObsidian wrote: That is very true. I own a cracked copy of Flash MX, WindowsXP Corporate, OfficeXP, Adobe Essentials (among virtually every other piece of software in existence). Sure, I use them all the time. Sure, neither Macromedia nor Microsoft nor Adobe made any money. But if you think about it, they wouldn't have made any money whether I downloaded it or not. I don't have hundreds of dollars to pay for software, so I wouldn't have bought it either way. In my opinion, they aren't losing (or gaining) anything. I'm just benefitting.

If software was less expensive, I'd be happy to shell out some money for it. It just doesn't make sense to me to pay fifty dollars for a game I'm going to beat in a week. It takes me several to get that much money.
W00t for you! Why support legitimately free software like all those open source programs you might hear people talk about when you can steal professional quality software? :roll:

Facts for the morally bankrupt

If you think software is too expensive - *dont USE it*. Professional quality, say, art packages are expensive for a reason - they are for *professional* users - you dont need Photoshop to make a sig for a forum when there are *hundreds* of free or shareware alternatives available. Like you dont need Soundforge to trim a WAV and you dont need 3D Studio Max to make a Quake skin :roll:

GIMP is great, a smaller *legal* download than Photoshop and almost as capable, unless you are loking to use photoshop *professionally* in which case you really should be buying your own licence if you are profiting from the use of the software.

The side effect of using high quality but *free* alternatives to software is that the professional software then has to follow suit as it loses customers and either massivel improve its software (a good thing) or turn to a similar pricing model as its competition (also a good thing).

Its also a well known fact that the fact that warez are so easily available on the internet gives the companies makign software of all kinds enough justification to raise the price to compensate - so dont go talking about it being management and bosses losing money; its the people who actually *pay* for the software who get scalped because they are subsidising pricks like you :evil:

Those of you who don't remember such things here is a little story:
Once upon a time there was an internet browser called Netscape, and it was shareware. Then another company came along and wanted to knock Netscapes number one position in the browser market away by giving theirs away *free*; and this browser was called Internet Explorer. Call it a hunch, Id say everyone not reading this in Opera is reading it in IE.

Thats how things work. Companies get successful becuase people buy their stuff or they are reputable. If a lot of people are actively using a free program, it gets more feedback, more development and more popularity - who would buy an MP3 player post-WinAMP?

If a free version of a program is better than any commercial one, there *has* to be either massive improvements in the program or a change to a different pricing model, namely free for inidvidual use or commercially for professional use, which I presume is something you would be happier with than with having to (god forbid) pay for software you use frequently :roll:
Token99 wrote: Why? Because he doesn't share the same views as you? Have you ever downloaded an mp3? Have you ever recorded a song off the radio? Have you ever recorded a movie off of TV or one that you've rented?
A different argument but:
downloaded an MP3 - yeah, all MP3s are illegal, all ROMs are illegal, we're all warezers, I cant beleive the RIAA are allowing http://www.mp3.com to still operate :roll:

recorded a song off the radio - no, but presumably if its aired a lot its to get you interested in the band and eventually buy the album as singles and concerts both do. Id assume its no different to the legal MP3s you can get from sites such as Amazon.com as a taster of the album.

Movie off TV - is paid for by the commercials that fill it

One I've rented - no, I don't have the mind frame that anything I have paid anything for for any amount of time is automatically mine forever.
I dont go to the library and scan all the books I take out either. :roll:
Token99 wrote: Copying your friends CD, recording TV shows, recording rentals, downloading mp3s, downloading pirated software are all the exact same thing
No, theyre not... :?
I hope everyone who goes on about how they're somehow *entitled* to have whatever they want whenever they want it at no cost to themselves gets a job and gets ripped off by someone.
Then again I guess you cant understand what it feels like to see stuff you've worked hard on being ripped off by someone else to make a quick buck :evil:

...and if you feel flamed by the above, don't go assuming that everybody automatically has as little integrity as you do. A lot of people pay full prices for things because thats what the people who made the product are charging, and they are *entitled* to charge what they want for what they have made. and those people get *really* annoyed when someone with no ethics but broadband starts boasting about their warez collections not costing anyoen anything :evil:
I can proudlly say that I legally own some good programs.

Photoshop
MicroMedia Director
Win XP professional
Sound Forge
DiscJuggler *It was only $20*
3d studio Max.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

clessoulis wrote: I can proudlly say that I legally own some good programs.

Photoshop
MicroMedia Director
Win XP professional
Sound Forge
DiscJuggler *It was only $20*
3d studio Max.
.... :roll:
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

I'm not shitting you. My dad works for a computer company so I get all my software for free.

Selfbooting for Noobs
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

I don't care if you are telling the truth or not, but the list did nothing to add to the discussion, and that is why I made that post.

On to the discussion.
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

O ok I thought you where calling me a liar.

Selfbooting for Noobs
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

*oops* :oops: double post... see below
Last edited by Narcissus on Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

Lupin[lvl] wrote:you loose respect for someone when you feel their opinion holds no weight because it is irrevertibly skewed from your own.
No I don't, maybe you do, but I respect people's opinions even if they differ from my own. I don't agree, and sometimes I don't understand, but as long as it's not hurting me or making society a more dangerous place, who am I to judge someone else for their opinion. Do you really lose respect for people that you decide opinions are skewed because they are different from your own, just because you don't agree? Who is anyone to judge me or anyone else on this board for that matter?
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

Token99 wrote:
Lupin[lvl] wrote:you loose respect for someone when you feel their opinion holds no weight because it is irrevertibly skewed from your own.
No I don't, maybe you do, but I respect people's opinions even if they differ from my own. I don't agree, and sometimes I don't understand, but as long as it's not hurting me or making society a more dangerous place, who am I to judge someone else for their opinion. Do you really lose respect for people that you decide opinions are skewed because they are different from your own, just because you don't agree? Who is anyone to judge me or anyone else on this board for that matter?
exactly
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

Can't we all just get along?

That being said, Nyar is right on a couple of things. I personally used to warez PC applications like photoshop and the such, but then because of a deep hatred of all things microsoft, I started using linux. Nearly everything is free on linux, and it's more often than not of near or better the quality of a warezed product. If you don't want to spend money on software, I'd recommend using linux. IT'S FREE!!!

[quote]There is a big differance between downloading warez Dreamcast games and NES, SNES tg-16 roms.. If you can't understand that you need help. [/quote]

There is no difference. Illegal is illegal.

Finally, respect is a funny thing. If it's simply given, it can be taken away quite quickly, but if it's earned, you tend to need a really good reason to take it away. I can understand people losing respect for people on the boards, but mainly because respect was simply given.

I've got to agree with Token on this, I personally think that opinions are opinions, and if you judge people only on their opinions, you tend to run into a religious war (Ireland).

But really, no Canadian football fans out there? Should be a good game.
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Token99 wrote:
So in other words, you respect clessoulis just as much as say nyar.
Interesting.

Who are we to judge? We are people who must live in this world. If I cannot be the judge of who I respect, trust, love, etc based on my own feelings then what the hell am I doing here.

Short summary:

ROMS, MP3s, games, applications, etc. that you have not purchased or are not in the public domain are illegal to download and own. That is a fact. Correct?
Major publications will not showcase web sites with questionable content.
So by keeping that crap off the site we have an opportunity to grow and be seen by those publications (EGM anyone)
Also Boob, Consolevision, and this site have come under fire from big companies for the implication of hosting illegal software. Consolevision even had to change servers because of this.
No signature.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

toastman wrote:So in other words, you respect clessoulis just as much as say nyar.
I have no personal opinion of either because I don't personally know either. Nyar obviously presents himself more clearly and states facts to support his opinions, and maybe is more intelligent. But does that mean I should "respect" Nyar more for those reasons? No. I
would rather hold an intelligent conversation with Nyar for those reasons, but that doesn't make him more of a man in my eyes.
toastman wrote:Who are we to judge? We are people who must live in this world.
I personally don't care what anyone thinks of me, I'm comfortable with the man I've grown into the past few years. If you feel the need to judge me for my opinions and beliefs before you get to know me on a personal level, well then I don't know what else to say other than that's pretty shallow.
toastman wrote:Short summary:

ROMS, MP3s, games, applications, etc. that you have not purchased or are not in the public domain are illegal to download and own. That is a fact. Correct?
Major publications will not showcase web sites with questionable content.
So by keeping that crap off the site we have an opportunity to grow and be seen by those publications (EGM anyone)
Also Boob, Consolevision, and this site have come under fire from big companies for the implication of hosting illegal software. Consolevision even had to change servers because of this.
I agree with the fact that things of this nature shouldn't be discussed on the boards, because of legal purposes.