Its about a problem I'm having with the DreamSNES

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
Juggalosaiyan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Its about a problem I'm having with the DreamSNES

Post by Juggalosaiyan »

When I save a game onto my VMU (it's an official Dreamcast VMU) it shows that they are there but when i try to load the game up it resets my Dreamcast. So therefore if I want to play the game I have to delete the saved file and start all over. Please, someone take the time to read this message and help me solve my problem.
Acquana
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

. . . help?

Post by Acquana »

The poor chap above isn't the only one with this problem. Are we missing something? This is the only time in my searchings on the boards that I've seen someone mention this problem . . . :oops:
Acquana
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

. . . help?

Post by Acquana »

The poor chap above isn't the only one with this problem. Are we missing something? This is the only time in my searchings on the boards that I've seen someone mention this problem . . . :oops:
retropunk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by retropunk »

It works like a charm for me. You're not bringing it up in the VMU explorer are you? If you just load a game like you normally would on the SNES, it works fine.

I haven't checked them all, but it works for Zelda and Chrono Trigger.

Rob.
Acquana
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Uh . . .

Post by Acquana »

Mm, no. I open up a game and it doesn't recognize that I have anything saved.
retropunk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by retropunk »

What games are you having problems with?

Rob.
Acquana
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Acquana »

I've been trying on Super Mario AllStars and Super Metriod
Juggalosaiyan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Juggalosaiyan »

I don't get it. I've tried a bunch of RPG's (even Chrono Trigger) and they seem to work unless I delete my saved game. :evil:
Juggalosaiyan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Juggalosaiyan »

What is the VMU Explorer?
Ainshi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Ainshi »

I too am experiencing problems. I am using one of those Massive Memory Cards that has the serial port connector. It's worked for every game i've ever played on the dreamcast, and i dont see why dreamSNES would work different, as the massive card merely has 8 seperate memory cards in one. In Chrono Trigger, I got to the Cathedral savepoint, went ahead and saved, and the game did change the first spot to reflect my current position, characters, etc. However, restarting the game I find that the game was not in fact saved. I know I read somewhere that if you go back to the menu while in game you can save there, but i can't seem to find any save state-like option.

EDIT: I've also noticed mention of loading icons in the corners of the screen, one of them being a VMU icon. The only loading icon I get is the SNES console one, no VMU. Does that mean, then, that DreamSNES is not identifying my VMU? When i run the Maple Bus scan on the secret menu, it identifies controller 1, with "Sub 1- MEMORYCARD - LCD - TIMER", though the only LCD my memory card has is one to display which one of the 8 blocks is currently activated.

I know this is now quite a long post, but it seems to me that DreamSNES is identifying, but not correctly, my memory card, and thus not saving properly. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (And no, I haven't tested other games yet, i will test Terranigma later).
Warped Mind
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Warped Mind »

I've mentioned it already, but I think it may have something to do with large block-size. Every SRAM file that has been corrupted is always 5+ blocks in size.
Ainshi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Ainshi »

Somewhere online - possibly the compatibility webpage that is sticky'ed at the top - says that a Chrono Trigger save is 3 blocks.
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

Ainshi wrote: I know I read somewhere that if you go back to the menu while in game you can save there, but i can't seem to find any save state-like option.
When you have autosave turned off, you must return to the dreamsnes menu (by holding the analog stick to the left or hitting the 'Z' button if available) after saving in-game in order to save to the memory card.

Sometimes you must wait several moments for the VMU icon to appear onscreen after saving in-game.
Ainshi wrote: EDIT: I've also noticed mention of loading icons in the corners of the screen, one of them being a VMU icon. The only loading icon I get is the SNES console one, no VMU. Does that mean, then, that DreamSNES is not identifying my VMU? When i run the Maple Bus scan on the secret menu, it identifies controller 1, with "Sub 1- MEMORYCARD - LCD - TIMER", though the only LCD my memory card has is one to display which one of the 8 blocks is currently activated.
The purpose of the 'SNES icon' is to show what combination of controllers/lightguns/multitaps are being emulated by dreamsnes. This icon will change every time you plug/unplug a controller into the Dreamcast, to reflect what the emulated SNES console will see.

All of these 3rd party memory cards falsely report to the system as having LCDs and timers in order to have full compatability in commercial games.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Juggalosaiyan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Juggalosaiyan »

So, does anyone know how to fix the problem? :?:
I_quit_pso
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by I_quit_pso »

well,after restarting ff2 and seiken densetsu about 4 times each,ive noticed,now keep in mind,im no programmer,but,each game will save even if theres not a option to load(ive deleted so many bogus saves on my vmu from starting a rom that sucked)my theory,and i stress the word "theory" to the extreme here,is that too many saves causes the vmu to not load when the vital roms are loaded,now ive dedicated 1 bank on my 4bank vmu to my rpgs saving ONLY my final fantasies(well 1 at a time,i mean cmon who keeps more than 1 ff going at one time?)now when i feel like playing super boutuden or star wars,or any rom that doesnt have a load option,i use a different vmu,but when im in a serious rpg,cant risk losing my save file so i keep 3 saves for 1 game in 3 different location kinda mood i use my rpg vmu,im still not sure why some saves wont load after saving(yes i know about auto save and returning to the menu,being thats the only way i like to save my games)believe me,after having played ff2 9 times through on the orig snes cart only to have a low game battery delete my save every time i get to the moon :evil: i know how maddening it can be to have to start a game all over after putting so much effort into it

so,to sum it all up,until someone with some knowhow finds this bug,keep the vital saves on a diff vmu and play the short few rounds of mk2 on a different one
paranoia is just reality on a finer scale
Juggalosaiyan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Juggalosaiyan »

I've completly deleted everything on my Dreamcast VMU. I started up the dreamsnes and played chrono trigger. After I got to a point where I could save it, I saved it. I restarted the dreamcast and checked if it had saved to my vmu. It did. Then I started up the dreamsnes and tried to play chrono trigger. It just restarted my dreamcast. So I know it isn't how many saves you have because chrono trigger was the only file I had on there. So I dont know if its my dreamcast,the vmu, or just the dreamsnes.
I_quit_pso
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by I_quit_pso »

Did you make a new dsnes disk? you know,like found an added a few more roms? if so when your roms.lst loaded,did it have the exact same name for the game as it did before?

ie:Chrono Trigger vs CHRONO_TRIGGER

it wont load the save if the rom is named differently,what i do is copy my roms along with the lst then have dcfactory make me a new image,if ive added any roms,i simply type the names myself(making sure that the rom name appears exactly as it sposed to in the lst file)thus carrying over all my over old rom titles and i havent lost a save file in ages

ahhh,finaly back on the moon in final fantasy 2,the last time i was at
this point in the game i was 13yrs old,now i will finally beat the game without losing my file to a bad battery.....who woulda thought itd take me
10 years to do it........
Juggalosaiyan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Juggalosaiyan »

Just to wonder, but when do you'll think the new one is going to come out?(I'm asking this because I'm still having the same problem.) I'm not asking the exact date of when the new one is coming out, because their are some people who like to yell at you for asking that. So when do you think? :D
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

not all memory blocks for d/snes are 3 blocks when not corrupt. play lufia 2, it's 18
I_quit_pso
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by I_quit_pso »

i think a new dsnes will come out when the mods here can go for oh i dont know........at least 4 weeks without seeing a "whens the next version...." question,at the rate those happen,we should see a .98 or .99 or "gasps" 1.0 sometime in 2006

dont mind me,just had a few too many DDEs in morrowind on xbox

pent up anger and all