Do you think Sega will return to hardware manufacturing

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Do you think Sega will return to hardware manufacturing

Post by CupNoodle »

This is probably gonna make some people laugh or get mad, but do you think Sega will ever go back to the hardware biz? I know they are just for software now, but man, wouldn't it be great?
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

I'd actually like to have Sega stay software-only, to tell the truth. Sega hardware really hasn't made it since the Genesis, and costs them millions in development, time and money that could be spent on working on games. If Sega can take those extra resources now, and devote 100% of their time developing even better games for other systems, then good. I'd much rather see top of the line Sega software on a Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft machine than pretty good software on Sega hardware. Cause, hey, it IS all about the games.
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by arcticfeather »

if sega made consoles again it means you get all the good sega games on one console - no need to buy 4 consoles to get them all!!
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

They will most likly go back to hardware in the PS4 era.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

http://www.dreamcast2.com domainname is bought by sega...

anyway I'm 100% sure sega will go back 2 manufacture hardware,they r exploiting game son all consoles so the fanbase grows and then boom sega exlusive on a sega console!!!besides sega is also busy buying up other compnay's like midway(mortal kombat)
come in peace and leave in pieces

life is hard but the frontside of a train is harder
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

clessoulis wrote:They will most likly go back to hardware in the PS4 era.
Oh man the PS4 ive heard that they are gonna use super-nano-cell chip technology and a lot of companies are gonna help, toshiba, IBM, panasonic, RCA, GE, Nintendo, and even Quaker Brand Oatmeal!, oh and the graphics are gonna be awesome... :roll:
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

Clessoulis, I have a feeling you pulled that information straight out of your ass. As far as Dreamcast2 is concerned, that system was in development before the original DC bombed, and was based off the Niaomi2 board, if I remember correctly. Copyrighted names and webdomains don't always mean that product is in development or is going to be released, it is just a good way for a company to protect their property and leave open future design. Squaresoft has the name Chrono Break copyrighted. Does it mean there is a third Chrono game in development? No. Does it give them the option to make one should they decide to? Yep.

Again, I hope Sega stays developing software for other systems.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

They probably shouldn't make another system for awhile. I know despite the support Sega has from this site a lot of people are very sore at the price they paid for sega consoles that died. My friend bought a Sega Saturn back when it first came out. Actually 2 of my friends did and they both will never buy another Sega System again. I personally won't buy any more consoles from Sega until I see it last awhile.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

NeonGenesis wrote:Clessoulis, I have a feeling you pulled that information straight out of your ass. As far as Dreamcast2 is concerned, that system was in development before the original DC bombed, and was based off the Niaomi2 board, if I remember correctly. Copyrighted names and webdomains don't always mean that product is in development or is going to be released, it is just a good way for a company to protect their property and leave open future design. Squaresoft has the name Chrono Break copyrighted. Does it mean there is a third Chrono game in development? No. Does it give them the option to make one should they decide to? Yep.

Again, I hope Sega stays developing software for other systems.
Your totaly right I pulled it out of my ass. Hence why I said I guesss.

Selfbooting for Noobs
anal=probe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by anal=probe »

Well, I think software is what they are best at, so I think it's good they are concentrating on that. I just wish they would put more effort into their PS2 games. REZ, Headhunter, and Virua Fighter 4 look great, but I've heard not so good things about Crazy Taxi, and Sega Sports Tennis.
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

VF4 looks treable. PLay it on the Naomi 2 japanese coin ops.(the usa screens are crappy reso so it dosnt look like the japanese ones)
It was a treable port if your comparing it to the orginal.

Selfbooting for Noobs
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

NeonGenesis wrote:Squaresoft has the name Chrono Break copyrighted. Does it mean there is a third Chrono game in development? No.
Actually a third "Chrono" game is in the works.
And the name: Chrono Break.

And you cannot copyright a name. You probably meant trademarked.
No signature.
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

It would definitely be nice to get all of Sega's games all on one console like with the Dreamcast. I do not think that they will go back to hardware for a while. When was the last time that 4 consoles were viable at any time in the history of gaming? If Microsoft get's out of the game, then I think that it could happen. Actually, if I was Microsoft, I would license the Sega name and put it on the next Xbox. If Sega's name was behind the Xbox, I really think that it would do a lot better than having MS in Japan. As for the US, it probably doesn't matter. Most casual gamers are simply Sony slaves. Don't get me wrong, I think that the PS2 has some great games on it, but I really do not think that the system is that much better than the Dreamcast with respect to power as well as the available titles within the same time. I really think that Microsoft is in it for the long haul so I do not anticipate Sega getting back to hardware anytime soon. However, if they did, I would be right there to buy their console.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

If only Sega Dreamcast would Have been based off of Naomi2 hardware then I think it would still be pounding it out right now.

I good contract will sure be a mandotry thing if sega makes another system.

EX: You get the SDK for free and liscesning for free by sega if you sign the MMGC(MustMakeGamesContract) It would say that you any games started on this Sega System must be finshed and the company must make at least 10 games which must all get a 7 or higher rating in 3 magazines.

That would assuse alote of good games for the Next System and devolopers would jump for the opertunity to devolope for free.

Selfbooting for Noobs
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: Do you think Sega will return to hardware manufacturing

Post by someoneElse »

Jabba2442 wrote:This is probably gonna make some people laugh or get mad, but do you think Sega will ever go back to the hardware biz? I know they are just for software now, but man, wouldn't it be great?
Hardware? Probably yes at one point or another. Console? No.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Sultan of Saturn
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by Sultan of Saturn »

Free SDK and licensing? That would never happen. Console makers make their money simply due to licensing. Currently, the range is about $8-$11 on the current consoles (I don't know about PSX). Considering the fact that every company that is selling a console is selling it from the start at a loss (save Nintendo), companies like Sony, MS, Nintendo, etc. need to make some money and it is through licensing. Now the idea of free SDKs and all other development tools, documentation, hardware, customer support, etc. would be a great idea. However, I still don't see Sega jumping back into those murky waters until: 1) They start making some serious money, 2) They surpass EA in the sports market (sales), and 3) one of the other console makers quit. Four console makers is more than what the market can bare.
Formerly Known As "Chalavet".....
drunkensailor
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by drunkensailor »

xbox is done pretty fast though,and sega will probably start a new console in like 4 or 5 years I think/hope
come in peace and leave in pieces

life is hard but the frontside of a train is harder
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

anal=probe wrote:Well, I think software is what they are best at, so I think it's good they are concentrating on that. I just wish they would put more effort into their PS2 games. REZ, Headhunter, and Virua Fighter 4 look great, but I've heard not so good things about Crazy Taxi, and Sega Sports Tennis.
Well crazy taxi is a VERY old game now ^^;

As for Tennis, its a lot better than Smash Court Tennis on the PS2 - that game is poo, the charcters look unrealistic, and theres nothing that makes me want to play it like Segas tennis game.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Strapping the SEGA name on a second X-Box? Assuming Sega games began exclusively coming out on that console, that'd actually be a good idea. You'd have the hardcore sega fans getting bad ass sega games on a console that couldn't possibly die, being backed by an uber big corporation like MS, and you wouldn't have that feeling of being a dirty sellout all the time if you bought it.

Now, what would be uber sweet: Full DC support on the console. Imagine running KOS only on a platform that's like a bajillion times more powerful than the current DC? Okay, I'm sure there's enough flaws in that one to show that I know dick about devving, but that feature alone would make me want to nab one. Unless, of course, Sega actually developed a security protocol that Echelon couldn't get around besides physical impossibility...
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Well Sega didn't fire over 200 people in their hardware department for nothing