Best RPG/ADVENTURE on DC?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
SpiderW
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best RPG/ADVENTURE on DC?

Post by SpiderW »

What is the best RPG or adventure game on DC?
I have PSO and Evolution but I am looking for a game that has a FF style (or size) map with heaps of different towns and cities, I want a PSO style battle system... Or anything original but turn based (errr....) will do. And a story of the quality of the original Phantasy star series....
And most importantly days (not hours) of addictive gameplay!

Can any DC game live up to that? If not just tell me the verry best RPG and adventure games on DC so I can decide what to get for Xmas!
Swapabam
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Swapabam »

thats a tough question.... id have to say my favorite rpg on dc is skies of arcadia. yes, its turn based but its fun as hell.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I can tell you to avoid TimeStalkers. That game is just downright disgraceful. Looks like they spent about 1 month making that game, the dungeons are just randomly made and its boreing :(
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

i bought TimeStalkers when it first came out... first rpg on DC? Take My chances right? Bzz Wrong

I played 20 minutes of it and then set fire to my feet
Last edited by Jeeba Jabba on Wed Jan 09, 2002 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

Yes, Timestalkers is a shocker.

MOVED FROM NULL TO DC DISCUSSION!!! WHAT THE...?
Heliophobe_
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe_ »

Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but Skies of Arcadia, hands down.

Great looking game, lots to explore, and some of the best developed characters and coherent storyline that I've seen in an RPG. It's my understanding that it was made by the team responsible for the Phantasy Star games, so that should be enough to convince you.

It's very much in the mold of Final Fantasy VII, the game system itself isn't terrible revolutionary, but it's very well refined.

(and the Dark Rift gave me chills. Still does.)
Holly Hasney
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Holly Hasney »

Grandia2 is a fantastic game that didn't get the respect it deserved IMO :)
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Heliophobe wrote: Not that I'm an expert on the subject, but Skies of Arcadia, hands down.

Great looking game, lots to explore, and some of the best developed characters and coherent storyline that I've seen in an RPG. It's my understanding that it was made by the team responsible for the Phantasy Star games, so that should be enough to convince you.

It's very much in the mold of Final Fantasy VII, the game system itself isn't terrible revolutionary, but it's very well refined.

(and the Dark Rift gave me chills. Still does.)
Dark Rift? Wasnt that a 3D Fighter on N64 ?
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

No its something on Skies Of Arcadia, as far as I renember.
AmadeusZull
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by AmadeusZull »

skies of arcadia and grandia are top notch -

don't read any more reviews or previews - just got buy those games -

grandia is 20 and soa is 30 - go buy them

I am no longer an ACE@ite. Never will I kiss his feet is what I don't. And that I don't, is good I do.
Jodo-901
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Jodo-901 »

No doubt Skies Of Arcadia is THE best RPG for DC with Grandia II pulling a close second. If you like "D&D" type games Record Of Lodoss War is good too. I dissagree about TimeStalkers though. Yes it is very goofy, and isn't a long story. But if you like "dungeon" type games it can be a lot of fun. I think the problem most people have with this game is that the "leveling-up" system is a lot different from the standard, and opperating the menus take a little effort to understand.
Kiss My Dreamcast!!!
MadGun68
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MadGun68 »

IMO, Time Stalkers IS horrible. I just recently forced myself to play completely through it since I bought it. Honestly, it seems like they eventually just cut the development and released it.. Unfinished.

I thought I'd like it. If anyone has played Azure Dreams on the PSX, you'll notice that this game is basically a bad ripoff of it. AD has the same leveling system, a better system for upgrading houses/etc and at least had a decent storyline.

Near the end of the game, I ran across these things called "Hard Bugs" (I think that was their name. There are several versions of them in the different dungeons.) The Hit % for my character was 65%. After 5 minutes of fighting them without one single hit, I wound up capturing them just to end the fight. (Had to do that more than once too.)

There are a lot of other "funny" things about the game too.

The best IMO would be Skies. Second would be Grandia 2. I don't know if I'd ever bother with anything else. Evolution was "okay." Evolution 2 was less okay than that.
Tails Prower
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Tails Prower »

Like everone says Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2. get em both. although i would set fire to both of those games for another Gundam game on DC :)
404NotFound wrote: hey mrinsulto or whatever your name is, for the last time
A DREAMCAST IS NOT A PLAYSTATION2!!!
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

gundam...:shudder: they suck horribly and ironically enough the best out of the three were released in american. at least you didnt ask for another macross game. now m3 was horrible
Current Music:
Himekami - Exceeding Love
Little Viking - Future
Nas - God's Son Adam Freeland - Fear
Ibana - Shell / Half Pain
Wagh (Original)
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wagh (Original) »

Dr Zoidberg wrote:MOVED FROM NULL TO DC DISCUSSION!!! WHAT THE...?

MOVED TO THE TOP OF DC DISCUSSION WHAT THE...?
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Skies of Arcadia is #1 Grandia is #1.1. Has anybody played D2. I haven't played it yet. Is it worth buying?
CanadaKicksAss
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CanadaKicksAss »

Skies of Arcadia is an excellent game. There is only 1 problem with it, there are far too many random battles in the world map...They become so boring especially when your trying to fly to the other end of the map and you have to go through all the battles. Other then that though the game is great, one of the best RPG's ive ever played
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Once you get the book of polarity if you fly above or below the clouds you don't get the random battles.
CanadaKicksAss
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CanadaKicksAss »

Calavera wrote:Once you get the book of polarity if you fly above or below the clouds you don't get the random battles.
Oh i never played the game the whole way through
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I think Skies of Arcadia is a decent game, but you can tell that the FF series has a lot more work put into it then Skies of Arcadia ever seen. And yea the Random Battles suck on the worldmap. I played it a good ways into the game (well Id guess 30 percent of the game actually) and never found that Book. Is it hidden or in a pretty obvious place? If its one of those things you get near the end of the game then what good is it? Right now I am in a mine and its a pain in the ass. If you go the wrong way you gotta start all over again and there is no savepoints. I was in there like 2 hours and I had to quit cause of something and haven't touched it since. The Battles also seem to go on forever sometimes. You get into these battles and there is like 6 different things you gotta fight. And you go through all of them and get crap exp for it.

All in all its a decent game, best RPG for DC at least. But its still no comparison to the Final Fantasy series, or any other Square RPG for that matter. It could have used a lot of tweaking. Hopefully the GC version will have some changes to the random battles and how long they last. If there is some major improvements on the GC version I might consider getting it someday.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665