Unable to--hehe

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
Rustcoal
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unable to--hehe

Post by Rustcoal »

---

when i try to save using dreamsnes on the dreamcast, it says unable to write block number 199 on the top in red letters with a vmu next to it.
i am using a madcatz memory card, and there is nothingwrong with it cuz i just saved nfl2k and it loaded just fine. then i deleted all my files on the memroy card, but still, it says" unable write block number 199"when i saved nfl 2k, it took up 191 bocks, but i still tried to save on dramsnes, but it said unable to write block number 8.

i have this cd with just the dreamsnes program, then i press open and switch the programs with a roms disk. does this affect anything with my saving? oh, and yes, i have it on autosave- yes..

anyone ever had this happen to you? if you know exactly how to fix this, please post.
Rustcoal
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Rustcoal »

damn it! somebody post a reply on how to fix it!
Juggalosaiyan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Juggalosaiyan »

Some people say it is not working cause its not an official Dreamcast memory card.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Do you have an empty memory card? it seems that you don't have enough room... or you might wanna try reformating the card.
Juggalosaiyan
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Juggalosaiyan »

I've never had this problem because I have an official Dreamcast memory card. But a lot of people have had this problem, so I think instead of people having to buy official Dreamcast memory cards, DreamSNES should fix the problem.
mrinsulto
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mrinsulto »

i use a vmu, so i could not care less if they fix it or not, just buy a dam vmu, there like 6 bucks!!!!!
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

My performance mem card saved fine with DSNES

I agree with mrinsulto just buy a VMU there no more then 10 bucks anywhere.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
sqrt(-1)+1
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sqrt(-1)+1 »

I've never seen anyone report this before acctually. The error means that the VMU is broken in some way that makes it unable to save to block number 199. It's not the usual "need 199 blocks to save". It's "block number 199 is screwed up".
Adri_Magnon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Adri_Magnon »

Hi,
Rustcoal wrote:damn it! somebody post a reply on how to fix it!
Hey, be a little bit more polite. People have other things to do with there time then answer questions. They could have been out or at work or had a bad connection. I'm actually surprised they answered you. If you want to say something sarcasticly to make a point - fine. But if you start demanding people to tell you the solution to your problem then whatever happens to you happens.

Imagine this:

You get up in front of all the posters here at some convention. You ask for help and then while the silence is still you demand that somone answer you. Would you do that? If so, you've got some balls and very little tact.
Rustcoal wrote:when i try to save using dreamsnes on the dreamcast, it says unable to write block number 199 on the top in red letters with a vmu next to it.
i am using a madcatz memory card, and there is nothingwrong with it cuz i just saved nfl2k and it loaded just fine. then i deleted all my files on the memroy card, but still, it says" unable write block number 199"when i saved nfl 2k, it took up 191 bocks, but i still tried to save on dramsnes, but it said unable to write block number 8.

Just because NFL2K saves to it doesn't mean that the card is completely fine. But if it did, it would give the following possibilities:

1) The Dreamcast is Broken
2) DreamSnes files were corruped when burnt.
3) DreamSnes can't read the MadCatz.
4) DreamSnes might be an older version.
5) Other possibility?

1) The DC saves commercial games fine so it likely is NOT a broken DC.
2) Could be, but then I don't see why it would let you play the games. You can always reburn the disk slower. But that could waste a disk so explore other options.
3) Very possible. To verify, use a regular VMU. If you don't have one, buy or borrow one. If they cost around $6 then the decisions so far are to burn a new disk or buy a card. The logic points to the card.
4) Perhaps the newest version, IF you have the older one is able to read MadCatz. It is free to find the documentation that came with yours and to get the update info from the web. You could also, after having posetd here, gone to the DreamSNES website and e-mailed the authors/programmers to ask if they have recieved any similar e-mails.
5) Think about what else it could be and answer the questions that the problem asks.

If the situation happened to me I would follow this course of action:

1) Get a Sega VMU. Try it. If it works the problem is solved.
2) If not, burn a new disc. If the problem is solved then all is well. Try the new disk with both memory cards. If it works with both, then take the one bought earlier back to the store for a refund.
3) If none of those worked, read the documentation of the version you have and the version that is newest. If nothing is mentioned, go on to the next step.
4) Post on DCEmulation and perhaps emial the makers of DreamSNES. If no answer is provided, give the authors and members of the board 24hours to respond. If you feel like it, see how many people have read you post. You can then ompare that to how many people have read posts and answered them around the time yours was posted.
5) Wait and take your mind off the problem by playing NFL2K, going for a walk, listening to music, etc.

Hope that helps in someway.

Cheers,

Adri_Magnon
Rustcoal
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Rustcoal »

thanks adri... so ill just ask this; anyone ever saved dreamsnes using a madcatz memory card??