Burning CD with Linux (& cdrecord)

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
dc_mcgee
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Burning CD with Linux (& cdrecord)

Post by dc_mcgee »

Can anyone help out with burning a CD with Linux? I searched the forum earlier and found a reference to cdrecord. I've gotten that installed, but when I run cdrecord -scanbus it doesn't find my ATAPI CD-ROM (an HP 9100), and I tried the README's but frankly they're over my head.

Does anyone have any advice, or a better solution?

Thanks,
McGee
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

You have to activate SCSI emulation in Linux for CDRECORD to work. You can try recompiling the kernel with SCSI emulation enabled for your CDR drive.
dc_mcgee
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dc_mcgee »

Okay . . . from what I've read, my Linux box's kernel is 2.4.8, so support is built into the kernel -- BUT, I still have to configure the boot loader so it looks at my burner as a SCSI device. I'm reading up on that now, but that does make sense?

- McGee
sparkster
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by sparkster »

just add this to /etc/lilo.conf where the entry for your kernel image is:
append="hdX=ide-scsi"
except replace X with the letter of your cd writer
if you need more info go to linuxdoc.org and look under how-tos for the cd-writer how to
Ender
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Ender »

Um...just in case you didn't already know, even if SCSI emulation is supported by the kernel, that doesn't mean that it's enabled. Try what sparkster said, but if it doesn't work, you're going to have to recompile your kernel.