GC Xbox or PS2?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
dude322mg
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GC Xbox or PS2?

Post by dude322mg »

Hmmm... Now that the war is starting to hype up, what do you think is best?

I think it's between Gamecube and PS2. Xbox is way over-rated IMO and I think it should fail (although it prolly wont). I think in the long run, Gamecube will dominate game wise. (Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Kirby, Sonic, Mario Kart...)

All I can really look foward to on PS2 is GTA Vice City. And Xbox has MGS 2 coming out. And you can even skateboard!

Personally I only have Gamecube and my bro has PS2. My friend has Xbox but I never found it all that great.
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

I didnt read ur post but GC lags play re and see what a mean.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

I'm a PS2 fan (NOT fanboy!). Overall, I just think it has enough of a grip on the market to hold it's place on the top spot. So, maybe only a third of the games are good, but from the sheer volume of the number of games, that's still a hell of a lot. It's got games like Final Fantasy, Grand Turismo 3, Grand Theft Auto 3, and Metal Gear Solid 2, all of which are the games I want to play (I'll stick with keeping my Mario and Zelda gaming on the 8/16 bit level, thanks). New releases are expected that I am looking forward to, as well, such as Suikoden III, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (The Xbox version of MGS:X, for PS2), Auto Modellista, and more.

I also believe that Gamecube will hold in as second. It does have Mario and Zelda and Pokemon, and (not to insult anyone) I believe it will hold a firm grasp on the younger demographic. It's got it's pros and cons, and it's just not what I'm after.

Xbox, I'm sorry to say, I just don't think will hang on for any other reason than Microsoft pumping continuous money into it. Halo is jaw dropping, and there are a couple of fun games to play, but I honestly feel that it lacks the third party support, especially from Japan, to make it. It's too much of a computer, with the same games and loads of FPS shooters, and will be treated like one, bought primarily by PC gamers, and not console gamers. As computer hardware accels forward, and Xbox hardware can't, I believe the number of games will drop, seeing as Xbox, with it's computer-like-ness, is a perfect place to drop ports of games. When that ability is gone, I think the Xbox will die.

Please, no flames. Not trying to insult anyone, nor am I taking a fanboy stance. These are my opinions. Respect them, and I will respect yours.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Well, I might get a GC.

Cheaper
PSO PSO PSO PSO :D
Sonic games
Mario games
And pretty much lots of games to satisfy my time, cost effectively.

And very low load times.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

NeonGenesis wrote: Xbox, I'm sorry to say, I just don't think will hang on for any other reason than Microsoft pumping continuous money into it. Halo is jaw dropping, and there are a couple of fun games to play, but I honestly feel that it lacks the third party support, especially from Japan, to make it. It's too much of a computer, with the same games and loads of FPS shooters, and will be treated like one, bought primarily by PC gamers, and not console gamers. As computer hardware accels forward, and Xbox hardware can't, I believe the number of games will drop, seeing as Xbox, with it's computer-like-ness, is a perfect place to drop ports of games. When that ability is gone, I think the Xbox will die.
xbox is starting to get its feet off the ground with 3rd party japan support. i cant predict the future, but xbox is doing decent (not that good, but its surviving) in japan right now. when more devs sign on and see the potential, i think xbox can be a contender. right now its situation is comparable t that one of the wonderswan color, definitely not taking the lead, but enjoying a small, but constant niche in the market.
Current Music:
Himekami - Exceeding Love
Little Viking - Future
Nas - God's Son Adam Freeland - Fear
Ibana - Shell / Half Pain
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Re: GC Xbox or PS2?

Post by az_bont »

dude322mg wrote:And Xbox has MGS 2 coming out. And you can even skateboard!
I'd just thought I'd point out that you can't skateboard in MGS2. People assumed you could because pictures of Snake skateboarding were released at the same time as pictures and info on MGS2 were.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

NeonGenesis wrote: Xbox, I'm sorry to say, I just don't think will hang on for any other reason than Microsoft pumping continuous money into it. Halo is jaw dropping, and there are a couple of fun games to play, but I honestly feel that it lacks the third party support, especially from Japan, to make it. It's too much of a computer, with the same games and loads of FPS shooters, and will be treated like one, bought primarily by PC gamers, and not console gamers. As computer hardware accels forward, and Xbox hardware can't, I believe the number of games will drop, seeing as Xbox, with it's computer-like-ness, is a perfect place to drop ports of games. When that ability is gone, I think the Xbox will die.

Please, no flames. Not trying to insult anyone, nor am I taking a fanboy stance. These are my opinions. Respect them, and I will respect yours.
You give such stupid opinions and ask for no flames? oh well...

Xbox being a like a PC means nothing, really... Every console is really just a PC with the exception of not have a x86... heck, the GC has an IBM PowerPC processor in it. Does having a hard drive make something a PC?

All the other consoles can't be upgraded, but the xbox has the LEAST NEED to be upgraded so that isn't a problem.

I agree, it needs more Japanese 3rd party support to get a good market share.

No good games? What about MGS:Substanance, Splinter Cell comming out, Morrowind, and countless Sega titles?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

az_bont wrote:
I'd just thought I'd point out that you can't skateboard in MGS2. People assumed you could because pictures of Snake skateboarding were released at the same time as pictures and info on MGS2 were.
It's titled MGS2: Substance and yes, you can skateboard.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

NeonGenesis wrote:I'm a PS2 fan (NOT fanboy!). Overall, I just think it has enough of a grip on the market to hold it's place on the top spot. So, maybe only a third of the games are good, but from the sheer volume of the number of games, that's still a hell of a lot. It's got games like Final Fantasy, Grand Turismo 3, Grand Theft Auto 3, and Metal Gear Solid 2, all of which are the games I want to play (I'll stick with keeping my Mario and Zelda gaming on the 8/16 bit level, thanks). New releases are expected that I am looking forward to, as well, such as Suikoden III, Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (The Xbox version of MGS:X, for PS2), Auto Modellista, and more.

I also believe that Gamecube will hold in as second. It does have Mario and Zelda and Pokemon, and (not to insult anyone) I believe it will hold a firm grasp on the younger demographic. It's got it's pros and cons, and it's just not what I'm after.

Xbox, I'm sorry to say, I just don't think will hang on for any other reason than Microsoft pumping continuous money into it. Halo is jaw dropping, and there are a couple of fun games to play, but I honestly feel that it lacks the third party support, especially from Japan, to make it. It's too much of a computer, with the same games and loads of FPS shooters, and will be treated like one, bought primarily by PC gamers, and not console gamers. As computer hardware accels forward, and Xbox hardware can't, I believe the number of games will drop, seeing as Xbox, with it's computer-like-ness, is a perfect place to drop ports of games. When that ability is gone, I think the Xbox will die.

I have to say GC and Xbox are failure when it comes to games out.

Yes I know that the ps2 has more games because its older.

I mean like gamecube as 2 games worth buying and one i'm not to sure about but alote of people like it. RE and smash brothers.(I dont like smash brothers.

Xbox has DO3 and a couple of sega games.
Alote of people liked Halo but i dont.

LoL anyways these are just my opions.
DNR the current kickass dc programer. Thanks
for the emulator I've been waiting 2 years for.

Thanks to Reaper2k2 also for showing interest into WSC emulation.

Selfbooting for Noobs
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

And as for my opinion...

To me, The brightest future is with the Xbox (Personal Taste). Simply because of the upcoming games... Sure, there are possibilities with PS2, but so far its just gonna be sequels with terrible graphics. Gamecube...Once Nintendo runs out of their classic franchises, Its N64 all over again.

Xbox will have so much ingenuity going...From Xbox LIVE, to all the exclusive Sega Titles, MMORPGs and of course Halo 2...Shit, The Halo series is a good enough reason to own an Xbox.

Once again, Thats MY PERSONAL OPINION/VIEW.
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

404, to put it simple: Blow me. Those are my opinions, I'm entitled to them, and you're entitled to yours. By comparing Xbox to a computer, I am saying that it recieves many of the same games, that it's hardware is based more on "computer" features than "console" ones. It is also my personal opinion that too much of Xbox's support lies in it's ability to port games over to it, and as computer hardware advances, that ability will fade, and support will drop. NOT ONCE did I say that PS2 and GC do not also suffer cons, NOT ONCE did I say "no good games". I said that there are only a couple of games that *I* want to play. The only title you listed that is really of interest to me is MGS2:Substance, and that's going on PS2, as well. I know damn well Xbox has superior hardware, but dammit, it's not what I want to play, and I don't think it will ever advance beyond it's third place hold on the market.

Stupid opinions my ass. They're not your opinions, fine, but don't have a pissy fit and bitch at me about it. For example, I respect Jeeba's choice in using the Xbox. It has the games he wants, and that is fine. I will not bash his decision, and from what I can see, he doesn't intend to bash mine.
Narcissus
TAFKA Token99
TAFKA Token99

Post by Narcissus »

Image WHO LET THE DOGS OUT? WOOF WOOF WOOF!
The only limitations we have, are the ones we set for ourselves...
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Its all about the games that YOU like. Nothing else is more important when choosing a console.

Period.
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

lol, Token :P I'm not trying to start a fight with 404 at all, I'm just not in a happy place right now, and people calling my opinions stupid pisses me off royally. I'll gladly respect everyones opinion on their console choice, I just ask that they respect mine, and telling me my opinion is stupid because I think a different way, well.... who let the dogs out.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

and Jeeba, i love my mario! :D
Sure, graphics are good and all, but I just love all of Shigeru Miyamoto's works, i cannot get enough. Call me a fanboy... whatever... but i'm not insulting anyone else's system. In fact, I'm sure that at some point, I'll have all three.
And another thing (A little off-topic, but i've been waiting to say this), i don't buy all of these "Nintendo only makes remakes..." Hell, any racing game ever made past the Atart 2600 is, in fact, a remake. (Almost) Every game created is a remake of an idea. Zelda: It has come a long way from its roots. It has always been improved apon and has undergone changes. The new Zelda isn't a me-too title in terms of graphics. Mario: Again, a total 180 from its roots. Granted, Mario Sunshine is a lot like Mario 64. But why insult something that hasn't even been released?
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

I'm not a big Mario fan anymore, but I will certainly admit Mario Sunshine looks pretty jawdropping, judging from the commercial that's been on the past few days. I won't buy it, Mario isn't really my thing, but I sure intend to rent it just to play with it for a couple of days. Looks to be really spiffy.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
az_bont wrote:
It's titled MGS2: Substance and yes, you can skateboard.
I saw this news somewhere else but here it is from the newest copy of GamesMaster:

"A skating Solid Snake will not appear in MGS Substance, despite previous reports. Konami included skating footage in their E3 Substance demo but have since confirmed that this will only be a feature in Evolution Skateboarding. Doh!"
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
CupNoodle
Jim Dandy!

Post by CupNoodle »

I hate the system...wars...like Jeeba said, it matters what games you like.
kaze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by kaze »

i would kill this topic, but it would be unfair.
Current Music:
Himekami - Exceeding Love
Little Viking - Future
Nas - God's Son Adam Freeland - Fear
Ibana - Shell / Half Pain
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

I've been a PS2 owner for quite some time, and I dont really see a TON of great games, but the ones that are good really stand out, FFX for example. Or MGS/DMC/GTA3 etc....

As far as other systems are concerned, I was previously tuned into the Xbox scene, mainly because it created with Westerners in mind. That alone is enough to devote yourself to it. But it seems to be suffering from a lack of quality software, at the moment. Sega seems to be the only developer that can really crank out the goodness, and that makes it terribly ironic for me, because I was hoping to see some great American made software. Stupid me. :roll: (Halo not withstanding, because its a single spectacular phenomenon)

So now, I'm left to dream about getting a Gamecube, because from what I keep hearing about Mario, Zelda, and especially Metroid Prime, the system is becoming much more attractive, despite Nintendo's always-present Big Brother way of releasing games. That is to say, they wont release a game that pushes the limits of maturity, ie blood/sex/language.

That aside, if I can afford both, I'll get both. Theyre both great systems.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"