Compatibility/Bug/Benchmarks (Updated August 1st, 2002)

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DarkStalker »

Ok.. another small update due to interuptions over here. Added 15 games to bring the list up to 804 games total.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

how do u test these so fast? it takes me like an hour to test like 20...

i think i give up O_o
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DarkStalker »

404NotFound wrote:how do u test these so fast? it takes me like an hour to test like 20...

i think i give up O_o
Well, time is something I have a lot of right now.
Speaking of testing, I've been working on the next update. Might hit around late tonight or late tomorrow, depending on how many I end up testing. I've got another 100 ready to be added to the list. I just might finish off the second CD tonight.
donnonotin
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by donnonotin »

that idot thing was funny! :lol:
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DarkStalker »

donnonotin wrote:that idot thing was funny! :lol:
Er.. what?
Another update that I have had ready most of the day already but I wasn't able to post about since DCEmulation.com was down for a while. Added 118 more games bringing the total up to 922 games. This completes all from 0 through E. I'll start on F tomorrow.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

You know what? You should be testing your games with CPU optimizations turned OFF,since it breaks some games.Are you testing the games thoroughly,or you just spend 10-20 seconds per game?
I don't have as much ROMs as you do,but I have all the KEY games(US,PAL and Japanese)and I test every game by playing it several times and watching the intro/ending sequences to the end.
So I am curious how do you manage to test that much ROMs in a short time?

Nakamichi,the Thunder Dragon.
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DarkStalker »

Most people don't play with CPU optimizations off for the simple reason that they want the speed that the optimizations bring. Each game that I have tested so far that are broken with CPU optimizations on are also broken with them off. As far as I've seen, the optimizations haven't broken a single one of the 922 games that weren't already broken. I'm testing that as well and will report when turning off CPU optimizations lets you run a game that was otherwise broken.

As for the testing, you really don't need to play all the way through a game to be able to have a general idea how fast they run. That's all the benchmarks really are supposed to be, a general idea of how well they run. My benchmarks come from real play. Usually at least 2 or 3 levels.. unless there are certain levels based completely on Mode 7, scaling, rotation, or massive amounts of sprites on the screen (200+), there really isn't that much flux from level to level. I'd say that I spend somewhere around 5 - 10 minutes on each game. No, these aren't just 30 second examinations. How am I doing them so fast? lol.. I'm not. I just have a lot of free time on my hands. I have to say that I've spent somewhere around 50 - 60 hours already just simply testing games (that doesn't include the actual updating of the list itself). I have to say that taking the time to play these games (and figuring my way through a bunch of Japanese prompts) has shown me a lot of games that are special or fun in one way or another that I might not have ever gotten to know about.

I'm sorry that you seem somewhat perturbed by what I am doing. Seems like the fact that I am doing this at all and that I have the time to do it is ruffling a few feathers and I don't know why. We're all on the same side here, helping players find out if their favorite games run and run well as well as helping Markus, Per and Peter develop and fix problems with DreamSNES. You have given me an idea though. Perhaps I should go back and get benchmarks for CPU optimizations off as well. Maybe even with sound emulation set to Stereo and Off. It would take even more time, but maybe it'll be worth it. (I just hope that after all this work, they don't release v0.9.8 in the next few days.. lol.)

Well, to show that I'm not trying to show any of you up or "beat you to your own game" or anything else you might be perceiving me to do, I'm offering to host your lists as well on my webspace with it's own subdomain, if you'd like. That way, if there is some sort of problem with the boards (such as the site being inaccessable like it was last night), your list is still viewable by whomever.

I honestly don't know why it feels like there is some animosity here towards me and what I'm working on.
sqrt(-1)+1
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sqrt(-1)+1 »

You are rightly running with CPU-opts on. If there are any games that breaks with them, they should be found and marked for automatic downgrade to CPU-opts off in a later release of DreamSNES.

I'm impressed with all the work you have done so far. Kudos.
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DarkStalker »

Just a small update. I needed to take a small break from testing games to do other things. My next update should be sometime tonight. It will be about 120-130 games and will encompass all games that begin with the letter F.
Have fun.
Monti Rock
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Monti Rock »

Thanks for doing what you're doing...I haven't downloaded the upgrades (I've got 9.3!), but if it can play super robot wars 3,4, and EX, then I'll upgrade.....or may be until a miracle like a cheat option is opened... :lol:
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DarkStalker »

After a ton of family problems that had to get sorted out, I finally went back to benchmarking DreamSNES games. Right now, I added all games starting with F. I plan on having more done in the next day or so. Have fun.
DarkStalker
Tank-X
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Tank-X »

DarkStalker wrote:After a ton of family problems that had to get sorted out, I finally went back to benchmarking DreamSNES games. Right now, I added all games starting with F. I plan on having more done in the next day or so. Have fun.
DarkStalker
Sweet. Welcome back :D
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Sweetness, to the top this goes.
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DarkStalker »

Updated the list with about 104 games bringing me up to a revised total of 1187 games. I'm starting to move things around a little bit, to try to conform to the latest GoodSNES. I'll be adding a few things here and there, feature-wise. These changes will be gradual.
Enjoy.
quasio
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by quasio »

I checked some of the games you posted and I think you try some games to fast. Example: Desert Strike.

On your looongDClist it's listed as 100% (white color) but it is not! Maybe this is why. I played the game, my chopper lifted from the boat and flew around over the water = 100%. No slowdowns whatsoever. Then I flew to the mainland, started the first mission and suddenly all went slow. Flew back out over the water and speed came back. I turned trans. off and the game had almost full speed all the time, but the minimap (start button) went crazy then.

Desert Strike is a yellow :P

(Worst is Donkey Kong Country... owowow)
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

quasio wrote:I checked some of the games you posted and I think you try some games to fast. Example: Desert Strike.

On your looongDClist it's listed as 100% (white color) but it is not! Maybe this is why. I played the game, my chopper lifted from the boat and flew around over the water = 100%. No slowdowns whatsoever. Then I flew to the mainland, started the first mission and suddenly all went slow. Flew back out over the water and speed came back. I turned trans. off and the game had almost full speed all the time, but the minimap (start button) went crazy then.

Desert Strike is a yellow :P

(Worst is Donkey Kong Country... owowow)

do you have it on the same settings as he does? mono sound?
quasio
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by quasio »

Yes, with mono... I almost had the same settings, just "Autosave: No" and "Fullscreen: Smooth" but doesn't affect performance it says anyway. Otherwise same. And Desert Strike had slowdowns!
DarkStalker
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DarkStalker »

quasio wrote:Yes, with mono... I almost had the same settings, just "Autosave: No" and "Fullscreen: Smooth" but doesn't affect performance it says anyway. Otherwise same. And Desert Strike had slowdowns!
I'll take another look at it but I don't remember having any problems with it at all. There are some games like DKC where there are frameskips but the game still runs at full speed. I'm using DreamSNES's timing counter for this, just keep that in mind.
Thanks for letting me know and if you see anything else you disagree with, let me know.
Glad to see that someone's getting some use out of it.
quasio
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by quasio »

Hehe, yes, i'm on it! I just have 76 SNES games soooo... those will keep my busy for a while :P

But, if so, why frameskip? I'm no expert at this at all, just want to play games.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

great job

Post by Quzar »

I think you ppl are great for providing this service. But will there ever be varients of list made by its status, or using alternate settings?

Keep up the good work.