DC and ethernet

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
gloomy andy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC and ethernet

Post by gloomy andy »

im goin to do a management course for a year in september and the accomodation ive got has ethernet access but no phone line

i really dont wanna loose PSOver2 so i was wonderin if there was anyway to run my DC through my comp when the comps connected to an ethernet ....

any suggestions?
EVIL RATS ON NO STAR LIVE
Sqrl175
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Sqrl175 »

u can try the pc to dc networking if u have some time and patience. it might not work, but u could try it, methinks theres a tutorial in one of the stickys. if this doesnt work or u just have an extra 100 or so bucks to blow, u can get a bba (broadband adapter) to hook up ur dc to ur broadband connection.
kickin' the funk that smells of skunk
gloomy andy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gloomy andy »

so im probably gonna have to go through bba teritory?

i dont wanna loose pso :(

can anyone give me more specific advice? i need a game plan by september
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

http://www.consolevision.com/mterlouw
this should get you started
BIGWILLY_DC
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by BIGWILLY_DC »

Here is a website that may help you. I havent had time to try it yet.
http://home.elp.rr.com/terlouw/ConfigurePC.htm
Your sig is far to big (dimensions), please be a bit more thoughtfull to other users <('_')>
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

If your using a PAL Dreamcast (aka one bought in England or Europe) you wont be able to get it to work, because PAL modems are incompatible x_x
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

aren't there schematics to make pal modems work on the website? all it does is add some voltage to the modem, that the modem would normally get from a socket
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
gloomy andy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gloomy andy »

Gmc wrote:If your using a PAL Dreamcast (aka one bought in England or Europe) you wont be able to get it to work, because PAL modems are incompatible x_x
uh-oh :(

so it cant be done?! :(

BOO :(

i dont really wanna mess with the modem - but i can always get a second dc to try it out with and then just swap modems over ...

if someone could help me out with this that'd be a massive help and id buy you a beer/coke

and remember im movin at the begining of september

Thanks for any help! :)

'Offer only applies to UK residents. You have to be over the legal age to claim a beer as your prize. Beers consist of a pint of lager, bitter or ale from either my or your local pub. Coke consists of a pint of soft drink, ice and lemon is optional. Proof of ID will be required to claim the beer prize. Offer not available to those outside UK, not is it available in nightclubs. No cash alternative availavble. For more terms and conditions please phone the following number .... .........'
xjasonx
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by xjasonx »

if someone could help me out with this that'd be a massive help and id buy you a beer/coke
i have a US modem i could ship out to you fairly cheap. let me know if you want/need it.
gloomy andy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gloomy andy »

xjasonx wrote:i have a US modem i could ship out to you fairly cheap. let me know if you want/need it.
would puttin a US modem into my PAL machine actually work for this?

if the answer is yes and your modem is reasonable priced then SELL IT TO ME PLEASE!!! :D

thanks people for anymore help concerning this
:)
Soilwork
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Soilwork »

Hey,
I remember I tried that PC/DC connection a few months ago and if my memory's good, the tutorial says it won't work with french Dreamcast modems, not PAL modems. Let me check..
Some people have reported that newer Dreamcast modems don't work with this. I don't know why they wouldn't, but a few people have told me that switching to an older Dreamcast modem made everything all of a sudden start working. Go figure. Also I'm told French Dreamcast modems don't work either.
That's a quote from the older version of the tutorial (cached in Google, since it doesn't seem to be available anymore), maybe they got more info about the problem later.
Anyway it didn't work for me (of course), but it's definitely worth trying it Andy
"And then... I'm glad I found true friends..."
"Avant de mourir, je suis heureux d'avoir eu des amis..."
gloomy andy
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gloomy andy »

hmmm i cant see why there'd be a difference between french and uk modems

arent all PAL dreamcasts basically the same?

anyway i havent actually tried to run it through my pc yet
my pc is only 56k at the mo (till i move) but if its gonna work it would work with a 56k surely!!

well i'll have to make sure ive got all the right cables and maybe test it out!

---
PS any news on the US modem thats up for grabs? :D
Soilwork
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Soilwork »

Well I don't know, but we're not supposed to have exactly the same sort of phone network, are we?
"And then... I'm glad I found true friends..."
"Avant de mourir, je suis heureux d'avoir eu des amis..."
Xeaon13
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Xeaon13 »

Seems pretty basic.

Dreamcast Modem > Phone Line > Comptuer Modem > Using software/windows config > Network Card > Cable Modem ect. > Internet.

Like that yeah? :)
ndr008
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ndr008 »

I have been swearing like hell to get this damn PC DC server to work. I am on windows XP anda UK PAL DC. First I bought a 56K VOICE modem coz i read that non voice modems didn't work with the XP method. Then nothing happened, the DC never began to dial, so I tried building that line simulator, but no luck, I am not sure that I built it right, but I am almost certain that the problem is related with the telephone wire voltage. Most probably the circuit displayed there didn't work because US modems require porbably lower voltages, just like their appliances (US ~ 140V, UK ~ 240V) the modem needs the required voltage to be able dial. I think it is just like a telephone, if there is no telephone line hooked up, the buttons wont make any beeps when you press them (unless it runs on batteries). Please I hope this helps someone, so that I can be helped. ;)
revengeofLaEternal
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by revengeofLaEternal »

ndr008,
if the DC never even dials out, then I think it is the DC's modem that's the problem. Try the line voltage simulator again or look into getting a US modem (preferably an older one, and no, I'm not selling mine 8) ). Good luck.

Now I have a question for whoever can answer it:
Does anyone know where I can get the DC LAN adapter? It is not the BBA that costs $100+. It is strictly for internet use (from a commercial software standpoint).