GD-ROM Cable

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GD-ROM Cable

Post by btm4k »

Does anyone know where to find the kind of cable that connects the back of the GD-ROM drive? It is:

AWM 2896 80C VW-1 -F-

After doing some research,
I know that AWM stands for: Appliance Wiring Material
2896 is the type of wire.
80C means 80 degrees Celsius.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

h

Post by jaredfogle »

Is this also for the entertainment center friendly DC? Any way, its probably a regular ribbon cable.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

h

Post by jaredfogle »

I just realized that my post help you in no way whatsoever. I just tried to take one apart and I cant find my jewlers screwdrivers.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

This is deffenately not a normal cable. Its almost paper thin.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

h

Post by jaredfogle »

I still cant find my damn screwdriver. does it look etched?

i know what your talking about... are you getting a longer one so yuo can put it in a case?
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

I want a longer one so I can make pop down when you press a button.

Dont even try to understand what I just wrote. I don't think it will work. To change the subject a little, I took one end of the cable out. The thing is too hard to put back in. I'm afraid I'll break it.
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

[quote="btm4k"]I want a longer one so I can make pop down when you press a button.

Dont even try to understand what I just wrote. I don't think it will work. To change the subject a little, I took one end of the cable out. The thing is too hard to put back in. I'm afraid I'll break it.[/quote]

Dont grab the cable to push it in. There is like an extra little reinforced bit of plastic under the pins themselves, grab that to push it in.
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

NiGHTSFTP wrote:
btm4k wrote:I want a longer one so I can make pop down when you press a button.

Dont even try to understand what I just wrote. I don't think it will work. To change the subject a little, I took one end of the cable out. The thing is too hard to put back in. I'm afraid I'll break it.
Dont grab the cable to push it in. There is like an extra little reinforced bit of plastic under the pins themselves, grab that to push it in.
Thanks for the tip, but the plastic thing is too small. I should not have taken it out to begin with.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

h

Post by jaredfogle »

im sorry but i cant help it,

"I want a longer one so I can make pop down when you press a button"

what the hell?

i just had to comment on that
Xeaon13
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Xeaon13 »

Im also after a longer cable to.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Re: h

Post by btm4k »

jaredfogle wrote:im sorry but i cant help it,

"I want a longer one so I can make pop down when you press a button"

what the hell?

i just had to comment on that
Alright, I was thinking of making a door inside my PC case that pops down so its horizontal when you press a button. Then after loading the CD, you fold the door back up. Oh, I thought of an example: The drive folds down like a mailbox door.

BTW, I finally got the cable in. Thanks NiGHTS.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

h

Post by jaredfogle »

ooooohhhhh ok now i get it
Xeaon13
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Xeaon13 »

If you fine one please let me know. Also interested.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

I read somewhere that they go for about $50, which I think is rediculously expensive. Go to Ebay and get a broken DC for $5. The cable should be in there.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

I've found that this is the same exact cable as the one for the controller ports inside the SNES. Actually, I think the SNES one is a little longer. If you swap them, you might be able to come up with some cool GD-ROM drive mods.
Xeaon13
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Xeaon13 »

btm4k wrote:I've found that this is the same exact cable as the one for the controller ports inside the SNES. Actually, I think the SNES one is a little longer. If you swap them, you might be able to come up with some cool GD-ROM drive mods.
Nice, have you tested it all work? I might pick up one. Please let me know :) Also whats the exact length please?
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Xeaon13 wrote:
btm4k wrote:I've found that this is the same exact cable as the one for the controller ports inside the SNES. Actually, I think the SNES one is a little longer. If you swap them, you might be able to come up with some cool GD-ROM drive mods.
Nice, have you tested it all work? I might pick up one. Please let me know :) Also whats the exact length please?
No, I have not tested it. However, it is the exact same as the DC one. It would work. The length is 4 inches.
diabolus
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by diabolus »

from another thread:
the manufacturer of the dreamcast gdrom cable is printed on the cable, sumitomo. so i browsed around, and came across this:

http://www.sumitomoelectricusa.com/scri ... c/sumi.cfm

perhaps they may be of some help. another interesting thing i found out is that this same cable is also used in HP 842c printers. i'm not sure, but they may be in some dell laptops too. maybe i can find a parts dealer for one of these companies that sells the cable.

that's all i could find out, though. the best place to find these cables are broken dreamcasts, actually. i need to go to work now, but i'll continue searching for a solution. if you can, try contacting sumitomo at the address on that page, and please let us know what they say.
they're difficult to find, i've been trying. is good to know they're used in a bunch of different appliances, so maybe we could get them from say, a dell parts website or something. keep your eyes peeled. dang flimsy cables!
woof.
diabolus
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by diabolus »

well, i completely missed the snes thing. serves me right for not reading before i posted. yes, please let us know if it will work, as well as the snes model and such.
woof.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

diabolus wrote:well, i completely missed the snes thing. serves me right for not reading before i posted. yes, please let us know if it will work, as well as the snes model and such.
I have the older model SNES. It will work.