btm4k's 'Console Case' log

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by btm4k »

Sub Woofer wrote:This sounds VERY cool.

Can't wait to see the final result!
I can only hope to make a final result. I am stuck on where to put the Dreamcast, I am thinking of either putting it at the top and cutting a hole for the disc, or putting it in the front with a hole. Either way, I need to figure out how to make a perfectly round hole. Any ideas?
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Days 10, 11:

I've been repainting the case, and have finally done all of the sides. I rode a bike to the hardware store and got some primer for the plastic door and drive bay covers.
Last edited by btm4k on Thu Jul 25, 2002 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NullBot_TheRevenge
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by NullBot_TheRevenge »

put it in the top.. easiest way to do it.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

NullBot_TheRevenge wrote:put it in the top.. easiest way to do it.
Do you know how to cut a huge perfectly round hole into metal? I wish I did.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

h

Post by jaredfogle »

Does the hole have to be perfectly round? Well, use a compass or somehow trace it then cut a rough hole with something, then use a oh-so-trusty dremel to perfect it.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Re: h

Post by btm4k »

jaredfogle wrote:Does the hole have to be perfectly round? Well, use a compass or somehow trace it then cut a rough hole with something, then use a oh-so-trusty dremel to perfect it.
I've heard of a dremel, but what exactly is it?
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

All people should own a Dremel tool :P

A dremel is a small rotary tool that spins at up to like 35,000 rpm, and does wonders for detail work like that.

http://www.dremel.com
With more than 150 available accessories, you can use it to cut, sand, shape, drill, buff, grind, polish, rout, etch, clean and more. You'll use it on all kinds of materials. Metal, wood, ceramics, glass, plastic, drywall, leather, laminates, stone. Practically anything.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

wow

Post by jaredfogle »

A dremel is an absolute necessity. You can get them for like 60-80 at hardware stores.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Day 12:

I screw the PSU shut and mounted it on my case. With that, I also mounted the switch, fan, DC serial port adaptor, and power strip. I also added some buttons, one for the fan, one for the system toggle switch. I still either need a black or blue light to put in there. :P I also rode my bike about 3 miles to Radio Shack to get a Y adaptor for the phone line connection, and a color coded (red/white/yellow) A/V female connector to add to the back. The bad part is that I left my backpack with $40 and supplies from Radio Shack at my church. Oh yeah, I primered/painted the door for the case and the buttons for the fan and system switch. This looks very cool. I also need a Dremel. I need to find someone who would let me use one. I cant insert the DC untill I find one. I've done pretty much everything except for putting the consoles in there. How am I supposed to solder stuff about 2 mm apart? And if I screw up, I'm screwd badly.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

h

Post by jaredfogle »

Be very careful when doing fine point soldering. Its not something someone can tell you how to do over the internet. Fine someone who can, and have them either show you how, or do it themselves.
NPerez
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by NPerez »

Whether you get this thing completed or not, I still think that you're fucking amazing...good work, keep up the updates. This is very interesting!
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

LOL its funny to find that people are actually reading this!

For the hole at the top, I've decided to take the case to a machine shop. For the soldering, I can only hope to find someone to do this for me. Otherwise, I'll have to cut holes in the front and mount the whole system with it.

BTW, I got my backpack!
Wagh (Original)
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wagh (Original) »

btm4k wrote:
NullBot_TheRevenge wrote:put it in the top.. easiest way to do it.
Do you know how to cut a huge perfectly round hole into metal? I wish I did.

uh actually I do. I've got a laser cutter at work. so :P
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

Darn it! I hate doing this, but I have hit the empty money hole. In other words, I'm in debt, which means I can't buy more stuff untill I find some money.

My paypal address is: btm4k@hotmail.com :P JUST KIDDING :P

I have to PAUSE my updates again.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

h

Post by jaredfogle »

I know how you feel, one time I was putting a DC into a old CD player case and I ran out of money smack dab in the middle of it.

When I finished, the final product was a DC that went along better with my AV stuff, had better ventalation, and loaded top style like an old VCR. My next test will be to fit one in a DVD player case, with the dvd player still in there, I just need to find one thats got space in teh case (i didnt mean to make it sound like that). Maybe a apex or a sampo....
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Re: h

Post by btm4k »

jaredfogle wrote:I know how you feel, one time I was putting a DC into a old CD player case and I ran out of money smack dab in the middle of it.

When I finished, the final product was a DC that went along better with my AV stuff, had better ventalation, and loaded top style like an old VCR. My next test will be to fit one in a DVD player case, with the dvd player still in there, I just need to find one thats got space in teh case (i didnt mean to make it sound like that). Maybe a apex or a sampo....
Cool! If i could only get tray loading to work. Its not gonna happen though.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

yeh

Post by jaredfogle »

Thats why it loads like an old beta VCR. I couldn't get it to slot load, although that would be so awesome.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

I just got back from Oregon today. My 4 DC controller extension cables have arrived. I'm still waiting for the A/V switch and the SNES/N64 extensions to get here. I need some help on where to find 2 NES controller extensions. Thats it.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

YES!! My other controller extensions have arrived! I now have:

2 SNES
4 N64
4 DC

I wish I could say the same for the NES. I am still waiting for the A/V switch to arrive. Now I gotta figure out how/where to mount all this stuff.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

I've been talking to someone about the soldering for the cartridge extension. He was telling me that it should be easy to do. That means I'll probably be starting it soon. This will be so awesome if it works. The problem is that my consoles have been taken apart for months, and I've been touching the parts. I have to test them to see if they are still working. The really bad thing is that my SNES for sure is not working, so I want to see if it's just the power adaptor or the actual system.

WOW! Just now I got a good idea for the NES extension. I will use an ethernet cable (RJ45). It's color coded. I'll try to get about 10 feet from a friend. (5' for each extension). YES! Its gonna work! This is gonna be so cool when its done! Just wait and see...