XBox Hard Drive HACKED!!!!!!!!!!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
GhosT^x0
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

XBox Hard Drive HACKED!!!!!!!!!!

Post by GhosT^x0 »

Front page news, ladies and gents... let the evolution begin.

http://www.xboxemu.net
WHAT??
Jordan
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Jordan »

is this good or bad?

Good for emulation....

Bad considering piracy...

I never had a problem with pirating games in the past (PS, DC) but I love Xbox so much that i would be very upset to see Bill's great efforts stomped on by some fucking snot nosed hackers. Just buy your xbox games and keep the system alive. Yes this news has nothing to do with game piracy at the moment but if its only been out for 2 weeks, i can smell the damn pirates within next month or so...
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

No problem with DC piracy eh?

sheesh. You don't find it sad at all the DC died so early, and SEGAs stocks bottomed out and they have now offically said they are never going to make another piece of hardware again?

Piracy *KILLED* the DC. And pretty much crippled SEGA.

Twat. :x
Jordan
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Jordan »

i never meant it like that...I just never had an understanding of the consequences of piracy then...and plus...the DC was already cancelled when i began

twat+2 :)
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

oh, well <sarcasm>"thats alright then"</sarcasm> :roll:
Kami

Post by Kami »

Nyarlathotep wrote: No problem with DC piracy eh?

sheesh. You don't find it sad at all the DC died so early, and SEGAs stocks bottomed out and they have now offically said they are never going to make another piece of hardware again?

competition with another console KILLED SEGA which in turn made them making a last ditch effort with the dc which then killed itself. It was known from the start that if the dc wouldn't make it after a bit it would be dropped or sega would be gone. Shit happens consoles die its just a cycle it's gotten shorter but then its just like that ol' law in the pc industry where technology just keeps coming!
Enki-14
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Enki-14 »

One of the things that killed the dc was sega itself. More like sega of japan. they used money to keet the japanese market going when there was no market. They cancelled games for the US. Made statements about games that never came out (ex: Toejam and Earl 2). The truth is that. Sega had a big enough user base in america to keep the dc alive. ( around 5 million units) But SOJ figured since they weren't making the money directly then they didn't care. While our games(and the UK's) get cancelled japan still sees more games. Now I'm not sure how many games we'll get her in the US. Earlier this year sega said about 30-40. But we all know that sh*t didn't happen. And that was for the fiscal year! We should still see more games untill march 2002. But where art thou? Don't et me wrong, I love sega as a company, and as a creator of the best games avaiable. It's just that the dc could have had at least one good more year here in the states, if they wanted to make games on other consoles in japan then they should. They shouldn't have dealt us this deck of fixed cards. But, its old news, the past is the past. I just hope they support the gc with some good content.
And if anyone doesn't believe what I say do some research. The dc still gets better web broswer updates(than the US or UK) and more frequently too. Shenmue 2 is another great example. They didn't have to cancel it, they could have made another ver for the x-box, and still released the dc ver. Man, I really need to end this or I'll type forever!!! :|
Katana_

Post by Katana_ »

It is trash Sega of America is not keeping the promise about keeping th DC alive til march.... unless they purposely hold NHL 2k2 til then.... they could atleast do something for us gamers.... i mean the DCs in the US have peaked due to the christmas season this year...
Bling_
YATTA!
YATTA!

Post by Bling_ »

all im saying is the only reason i kept my DC was for tenn is 2k2 and nhl2k2..so far one of the two is unbelievable...now is nhl2k2 even comin out!!!???...oh and i cant wait till supercast implents online play!!!! :?
It's Thinking,
cKy_Bling
"I like my beers cold, and my homosexuals flamin'!"
http://www.ckymusic.com
DAMN RIGHT I'M A SPAMMER!!
SiliconJesus
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Xbox hard drive cracked

Post by SiliconJesus »

Well, not quite. While it is now possible to get your HDD password (to unlock it), it is not going to be achievable for the common warez kiddie wanna' be Windows user. It requires a logic probe and some general knowledge of the ATA specs. Seeing as how the vast majority of users here cannot even figure out how to make a self booting emulator CD I seriously doubt that this will pose a problem for Mr. Gates et al. Also, the Xbox will not boot off of the hard drive. Unlocking the hard drive simply will net you the contents of the dashboard and 3 partitions with data cached for the last 3 games you played but the dashboard parts are unusable as they are a propreitary format and must be signed using presumably a key from Microsoft.

While I'm sure that we will in time see a fully hacked Xbox, I wouldn't exactly hold my breath for it....especially if you are a Packard Bell AOL user that begs for ROM's and cannot figure out how to make a selfboot DC CD.

It would somewhat be in the best interests of MS to allow a "homebrew" devkit with extremely strict licensing. i.e. for non commercial usage and distribution as well as a "non compete" clause in there so the homebrew people don't code anything that would directly impede the game developers. Also, if this code used a different signing key than commercial games as well as a different bootstrap method it would: a) Satisfy the desire for things like MAME, etc...and b) Avoid having the "homebrew" devkit used to pirate commercial games as the structure and signing key would be completely different. If this never happens, so be it....but in that case I think you will see the pirates hack the Xbox for piracy sake...and the legitimate?? emu programmers and hackers will simply follow their lead as with the DC scene. Nothing is 100% secure and unhackable...NOTHING.....so I have no doubt's about the fact that it will eventually be accomplished. Let us hope it is accomplished by Xbox friendly hackers and NOT the warez pirates for the sake of copying commercial games.
PR#6
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Hmm whatever happened to SiliconJesus...
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

where did this come from :o
MetalGearRay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by MetalGearRay »

Nyar Mk I wrote:No problem with DC piracy eh?

Piracy didn't kill the DC. Poor system sales and marketing killed the DC.
Look at how many people copied PSX games. They SURE killed the PSX, didn't they? :roll:
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

MetalGearRay wrote: Piracy didn't kill the DC. Poor system sales and marketing killed the DC.
Look at how many people copied PSX games. They SURE killed the PSX, didn't they? :roll:
piracy had a part in the DC's death
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

this topic is old news... i say it should be closed.
Full-Bodied
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Full-Bodied »

404NotFound wrote:this topic is old news... i say it should be closed.
or flipped to Null/Junk :!:
"The constitution gives me the right to bare arms, arm bears and everthing in-between!"
Sir Slash

Post by Sir Slash »

Well its sad that the XBOX hasn't even been hacked, and this topic is pretty damn old....... where are these so called mod chips?? its all BS
WELCO
ME
TOT
HE
NEX
T
LEVEL

JDCreationz
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by JDCreationz »

Damn Mods.....
I'll do it then........ :twisted:

TOPIC CLOSED.

ALthough nothing happens, i still feel good inside :P
dcemuromplayer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuromplayer »

ThE_WaNdErEr wrote: TOPIC CLOSED.
It's still open.
try it again :P
anyone who owns an emulator is a warez using software pirate

or they just stare at the main menu all day long!!!!! :)
Adri_Magnon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Adri_Magnon »

Hey,

Can we please just agree that Pirating is the sole reason that killed the DC. I have several important paradigms in my DC life, and that is one of them. I have built all my assumptions on that and to rethink them now would be really tough on me. Howsabout we just never mention that there was competition between consoles and between Sega departments and lets never read this site below:

http://www.atani-software.net/segabase/ ... tory1.html

I appreciate your help in upholding my general dislike in challengining my assumptions, considering another's point of view, researching my oppinions and changing my mind when I can just argue irrationally against any that challenge me.

Thanks,

Adri_Magnon