Weird Video Problem with DCDivx

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

Who here wants a pony?

Total votes: 0
Doomhem
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weird Video Problem with DCDivx

Post by Doomhem »

Alright this is my problem, I burned Dragonball Z episode 233.avi onto a dc disc. Its an anime. I converted the .avi into a smaller, compressed version of it reducing the size. I burned it onto a disc, booted with DCDivx. The sound is great, and I can see picture BUT!!! the picture is all garbled. Its like watching a really poop version of some movie (like a bootleg copy from the theatre). I followed the http://consolevision.com/dreamcast/dcdivx/ guide step by step. WTF is going on? I used bitrate of 300 kbs at first (because the guide said so). The picture was still screwed up. I then used 500 kbs (it was still screwed up). And I used 700 kbs bitrate (picture was still messed up). Basically the quality is really poop, but the movie streams and plays well. Its not something that you can simply ignore. Whats up with this? IM me at Jawaad000
My screen name Jawaad000 has three zero's in it. Please contact me through that or through this forum. Thanks a lot. Do you think it could be a problem with the screen resolution? BTW I AM USING Divx Codec 5.01?

Could it be the codecs fault? do I need to upgrade my codec to 5.02? or do i need to use an older version?
qwerty
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

What were your original file settings? If the quality of the original was bad to begin with, recoding it is definitely not going to help. Of course, resizing it is also going to eliminate a lot of detail. The DCDivx for dummies tutorial says to resize to 320 x *, but I always resize to 352 x * and have never had a file play poorly at that resolution. Try that and see if it helps.

It's also possible that you're simply not used to DCDivx video. It's not DVD or even VHS quality, but it can look very good if your original file was good to begin with.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
IvanIverson
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by IvanIverson »

when you resize a video, should it not matter? Because shouldn't it be the smaller the size the sharper it should look? Like if you play a video on your computer at 340x280 resolution, it looks crystle clear. Then you make it full screen, it gets all blurry and blocky. Just something I've been wondering.
yodanut
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by yodanut »

IvanIverson wrote:when you resize a video, should it not matter? Because shouldn't it be the smaller the size the sharper it should look? Like if you play a video on your computer at 340x280 resolution, it looks crystle clear. Then you make it full screen, it gets all blurry and blocky. Just something I've been wondering.
Actually it's totally the opposite. Whenever you 'shrink' a movie to window size, you're not really taking advantage of its resolution. If you have a movie with 640 x 480 resolution and one with 320 x 240, the movie with the higher resolution will look twice as detailed at full screen, or be twice as large in a window (if you haven't modified the settings). DCDivx always makes the movies full screen, which is why you always aim for the highest resolution possible.
Metroid Evolution
Helping evolve the Metroid series.
IvanIverson
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by IvanIverson »

What I meant was: If a movie was 500x500 and you resize it to say 250x250, wouldn't the 250x250 be sharper?

Nevermind though cus i thought when you resize it only make the screen smaller but keep the bitrates and whatnot the same. The same as when you resize a video while playing it in window media or whatever. But I see that when the video is resize the bit rate actually stay the same, does it.
dcemuromplayer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuromplayer »

whats with that poll?? :?: :?: :?:
anyone who owns an emulator is a warez using software pirate

or they just stare at the main menu all day long!!!!! :)