My 3D game engine

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
MigDps
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: My 3D game engine

Post by MigDps »

Hi all, I have some progress in the development of the engine, not much to show but some interesting changes, first of all, I decided to redesign the architecture of the engine itself to make it more flexible and improve its performance and the results have been very good!.
To give you an idea, with the previous version I could show about 5k polygons at 60 fps with static lighting and no animation, but the new version reaches almost 12k polygons at 60 fps! so the change has been worth it. :grin: This architecture allows to modularize more the code and better order the data, it's more cache-friendly I guess. :mrgreen:

On the other hand I have also added support for physics! Making my own physics engine was not an option (too much for me :D ) so I have opted for the old Bullet Physics, I have used this library in some other projects, maybe it is not the most efficient but it is very flexible, for basic collisions I think it will be enough. For now it supports box collisions and sphere collisions, I would also like to add convexhull collisions, and some other options like constraints, springs, and things like that. I leave you a video of how is the process to export the physics from the editor in blender to the engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLamskNc2Mc

The next thing I would like to do is work on the 2d part, and in the editor in Blender, add support for compressed textures (being able to export them from the editor already converted) and improve the file system, right now all the models, material cameras, etc... are exported in plain text format, of course that makes loading very slow, so my idea is to export it directly in binary format to make it more efficient and have fast loading times.

Aaand I think that's all, greetings! :wave:
These users thanked the author MigDps for the post:
|darc|
MigDps
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Re: My 3D game engine

Post by MigDps »

To test the last changes I have prepared a more complex scene. I have used a small scene extracted from the Silent Hill 3 game... who knows, maybe Dreamcast would have been able to run Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4. :mrgreen:

And here the video: https://youtu.be/01gykdhrcNI?si=IWsMbZTqTbtfbC3R

:wave:
These users thanked the author MigDps for the post:
Ian Robinson