PSO Questions & Answers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

gilouxsme
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PSO Questions & Answers

Post by gilouxsme »

Thanks for your help. Another question, I try to use my serial number from my Japanese version to register but it wasn’t possible ( in the game not on Sylverant), what is the problem? Is the serial already used , or the Japanese serial number can’t be used ?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Assuming you are talking about in the game itself, serial numbers/access keys from the Dreamcast version are region locked and version locked. You cannot use a Japanese key with a US or European disc (or any other combination where the key and disc don't match), and you can't use a v1 key with v2 (or vice-versa).
gilouxsme
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by gilouxsme »

I get it ! Well I have to reset my second character then and restart with the Japanese cd game and record the serial. Thanks for your very quick answer. I guess that if I reset the Dreamcast memory it will also reset to default settings for the IP and DNS ( I will have to rewrite it)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

gilouxsme wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:21 am I get it ! Well I have to reset my second character then and restart with the Japanese cd game and record the serial. Thanks for your very quick answer. I guess that if I reset the Dreamcast memory it will also reset to default settings for the IP and DNS ( I will have to rewrite it)
Correct on all counts.
KeiNishimaru
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by KeiNishimaru »

Alright, got a concern/problem.

Basically, my Dreamcast just died and I already registered my keys over at the site to my account. Connected to the server in game just once, and I’m aware of the “shared keys” sort of thing we got going on. I’m asking if my keys now fall into them in spite of me still owning the game with the same keys? Would I still be able to play with no consequence, would there be a way of notifying something about it? To know that it’s still my key that I’ve always had even though it would now be on a different board?

Thanks in Advance.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

No, playing on two different consoles does not make your serial/access key shared.

In fact, since you registered them on the website, everything should be fine using them on a second console -- you should have the same guild card number and any stuff you have from server events should be available on your new console (as well as the old one if you somehow were to get it fixed, or any other console you were to play on).
jurassicfetus
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by jurassicfetus »

Currently playing phantasy star online for the first time on my primary Dreamcast. Got it all set up for online mode.
Just bought a second Dreamcast and threw a MODE in it. Is that set up still able to connect phantasy star online to the server or not?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

There's nothing inherent in the MODE that would prevent you from connecting to the server.
Matt S.
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Matt S. »

A few JP players have been trying out PSO PC, however they appear to be having some issues with typing with IME - I'm suspecting this is a modern OS issue, as they are on Windows 10/11, or perhaps even just not knowing how to switch to IME in-game.

If using the patch which allows typing without an IME, IME inputs appear to be accepted by the game, but always get registered as ??? in chat. On the other hand, using the default client just doesn't pick up the IME at all and no keyboard inputs are accepted, and there doesn't appear to be a way to alt+shift (or equivalent) between English/Japanese.

I tried it on my end under Wine as well (using fcitx/mozc), but I suspect this is a Wine issue as no IME input makes it to the client at all regardless of the IME patch.

Has anybody been able to use CJK characters in PSO PC on modern operating systems? I would have thought they'd just work since this version of the game was released for CJK. Thanks in advance.

Edit: To be clear, JP font is set up in the options, and the client parses Japanese itself fine from other players on other systems, it just cannot be typed.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The IME works under Windows 7, but direct input does not work, so it's impossible to type English except by using Japanese mode and starting your message with a capital letter so the IME knows what you're about to type is not Japanese. The IME patch is a simple hack to disable the IME and force direct input to work for English players, but as you noted, this means that if you try to use the IME, everything you type turns into ????, because the IME is no longer processing your input properly.

The only solution is to use Windows XP or earlier, where both direct input and the IME work properly. I've tried to find somebody who could make a proper fix so that input would work correctly on Vista and later, but nobody who has such skills is interested in PSO PC; BB gets all the development interest.
"Fear the HUnewearl."