Can't get default CodeBlocks "Hello World" program to work

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
dreamslut
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Can't get default CodeBlocks "Hello World" program to work

Post by dreamslut »

I'm trying to just get the basic "Hello World" application to work that is the default Codeblocks project when you create a new Dreamcast Project. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I downloaded Codeblocks 17.12, DreamSDK, Python2.7, and SVN client, setup all three and then ran Codeblocks. I created a new Dreamcast project, set it to Debug build, hit build, and I'm met with this message:

DreamSDK\msys\1.0\opt\toolchains\dc\kos\kernel\fs\fs_dev.c|133|undefined reference to `_arc4random_buf'|

I also cannot use KallitstiOS Ports under the DreamSDK Manager to install ports. I get the following message:

inished processing dependencies for libbz2.
- Cannot openmake[1]: *** [validate-dist] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/toolchains/dc/kos-ports/libbz2'
make: *** [depends-check] Error 1

Is one related to the other? I'm on Windows, everything installed fine, but it seems like make isn't being run? Is there a way around this? I'm wondering if the libraries from the ports aren't being installed and the application won't compile because of it.

Thank you.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Can't get default CodeBlocks "Hello World" program to work

Post by BlueCrab »

With regard to the first issue you will need to update the version of KOS that is installed inside of DreamSDK. Unfortunately, there was a bug with older toolchain versions (which I assume DreamSDK is still using) that was corrected yesterday in KOS' git repository. I've never used DreamSDK myself, so I can't comment on how to update things, unfortunately.

As for the other issue, it seems like something isn't installed properly... Unfortunately, since I've never used DreamSDK, I can't comment on that either... But I'll try to see if I can bring this to the attention of someone who might know what's going on.
dreamslut
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dreamslut »

Thank you for your help.

If you're not using DreamSDK what are you using? I'm new to the scene, so if that is a stupid question I apologize. Are you just downloading KOS from GitHub and just using that in your typical IDE/editor? DreamSDK is primarily just to organize libraries for the Dreamcast, correct?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

dreamslut wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:17 pm Thank you for your help.

If you're not using DreamSDK what are you using? I'm new to the scene, so if that is a stupid question I apologize. Are you just downloading KOS from GitHub and just using that in your typical IDE/editor? DreamSDK is primarily just to organize libraries for the Dreamcast, correct?
That isn't a stupid question at all. After all, we all have to start somewhere, right?

I'm actually the lead maintainer of KOS, so my setup is a bit different than a lot of other users, probably.

I build my own toolchains from scratch using the patches included with KOS to build all of the important parts. I just use Pulsar as my text editor, rather than something of a heavier IDE.

My understanding of DreamSDK (which might not be 100% accurate, as I've never used it, like I said) is that it is essentially a pre-built set of packages that allow you to get up and running on Windows with minimal fuss.
dreamslut
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by dreamslut »

Wow, nice to meet you. This is a very cool project you have going on here. I never thought I'd be trying to work on Dreamcast games in 2023 but here we are! Thanks for help making it possible.

DreamSDK seems to auto-install a lot of things (different tabs on the program allow you to do different things, like download KOS ports), but I'm still having problems with it so I'll look into using KOS + toolchains myself, just like you are doing. Always seems to be better to get to the meat of it rather than relying on some program to do it for you.

Take care.
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

BlueCrab wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:47 pm My understanding of DreamSDK (which might not be 100% accurate, as I've never used it, like I said) is that it is essentially a pre-built set of packages that allow you to get up and running on Windows with minimal fuss.
100% accurate :)

Try to use the latest R3-dev version available here
I hope that I'll be able to release the official R3 one day, as this one have a lot of good changes.