Making Homebrew CDI/GDI Images

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DLDrago
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Making Homebrew CDI/GDI Images

Post by DLDrago »

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I can't seem to find a way to make a homebrew image. I'm looking for a solution that uses Ubuntu Linux 20.04 on Windows 11's Subsystem for Linux.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Making Homebrew CDI/GDI Images

Post by |darc| »

DLDrago wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:23 pm I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I can't seem to find a way to make a homebrew image. I'm looking for a solution that uses Ubuntu Linux 20.04 on Windows 11's Subsystem for Linux.
For homebrew CDI images, check out mkdcdisc, a newer tool that's part of the Simulant project. It's a really simple command-line tool that takes an ELF and gives you a CDI.

For homebrew GDI images, this is a little more complicated. GDI files represent GD-ROM images, but KalllistiOS out of the box won't read GD-ROMs as the original author wanted to prevent piracy and never foresaw a future in which people would make their own "GD-ROMs", so you'd need to patch KOS for your homebrew project to be able to read the disc. Use GDIBuilder, and make sure your 1ST_READ.BIN is not scrambled as a GD-ROM doesn't require that.
These users thanked the author |darc| for the post (total 2):
UndeadDCIan Robinson
It's thinking...
DLDrago
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Making Homebrew CDI/GDI Images

Post by DLDrago »

Got it. I'll use a CDI with that.