Segagaga translation in the works

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Segagaga translation in the works

Post by mankrip »

Juan wrote:Maybe via Sega Forever.
GameCentral for Metro.co.uk wrote:We recently spoke to Sega exec Mike Evans about the project, which was all his idea, and he even has plans to include games previously not released in the West, such as infamous Dreamcast game Segagaga.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

It has been exactly 13 years and 4 months since this thread was started. Still no update. I'd say the translation will be released the same day that Rand finally replies to Barnolde.
Mistyhands
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mistyhands »

I'm wanting to start the translation back up but honestly the compression of those PVR files was stumping me. Anyone got any clues?
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

It has now been exactly 15 years and 4 months since the start of this thread. Just think a person that was born on the day this thread was created would now be a sophomore in high school! I'd say the translation will probably come out the same day that DreamSNES 1.0 is released.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Calavera wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:24 am It has now been exactly 15 years and 4 months since the start of this thread. Just think a person that was born on the day this thread was created would now be a sophomore in high school! I'd say the translation will probably come out the same day that DreamSNES 1.0 is released.
17 years even.
Months are hard to keep up with. ;)
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

cube_b3 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:11 am
Calavera wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:24 am It has now been exactly 15 years and 4 months since the start of this thread. Just think a person that was born on the day this thread was created would now be a sophomore in high school! I'd say the translation will probably come out the same day that DreamSNES 1.0 is released.
17 years even.
Huh? The thread was started on August 28th 2006. I posted that on December 28th 2021.

2021-2006=15 years. Then the four months of September,October,November,December and you get 15 years and 4 months.

At the time of posting this it has now been 16 years and 3 months exactly!
These users thanked the author Calavera for the post:
cube_b3
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

More than enough time to learn japanese, show some dedication folks.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Just stopping in for the first time in 2023. If the Segagaga English translation was released today I'm not sure I'd even be interested in playing it at this point. Even so I'd HAVE TO play the darn thing all the way through since I've been waiting for over 16 years for the translation to be made! Has anyone here ever played the game with a guide? Is the game even any good or worth playing here in the 2020s?

cube_b3 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:11 am 17 years even.
In just a little more than 4 months it will be 17 years even! I'll try to remember to come here and celebrate the occasion with you. :lol:
These users thanked the author Calavera for the post:
cube_b3
Frogbull
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Frogbull »

When I saw this thread, I was :-o
Next I saw Calavera posts, now I'm :(
La-li-lu-le-lo!
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Stopping in again, this time for the first time in 2024! In 3 days it will be 17 year and 7 months since this thread was started. There are people who were born when this thread was started who are now Juniors(possibly Seniors) in High School. Theoretically someone who was born on the day this thread was started could have become interested in learning Japanese and translating games at a young age. They could have decided they were going to translate Segagaga at age 12 and spent the last 5 and a half years working on it and released it today! :lol:

When this thread was started smartphones weren't even a thing. People were still using Motorola Razr flip phones. The first Iphone would come out around 10 months after this thread was started. And now you could play Segagaga using Google Translate on your smartphone! It wouldn't be perfect but it'd be better than waiting for this translation to be released! The reason I'm posting this is that I tried playing Segagaga using Google Translate on a smartphone and it actually worked fairly decently. It would be kind of annoying to play the whole game that way but it is possible.

It probably won't be much longer and an AI will be able to translate the game into English. I don't know a ton about AI but I'd think even with what we have now AI could make the job much easier.

It is a shame a translation for Segagaga never came out. There are some weird obscure games that get English translations. I would have thought a game like Segagaga with a unique premise would have gotten a translation sometime in the last 23 years. It was released March 29th 2001 so just 4 days short of the 23rd anniversary. If I remember I'll be back on August 28th to celebrate the 18th anniversary of this thread. In just 5 months this thread will be an official adult! :)