Dreamcast emulator for PC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast emulator for PC

Post by tekkaman1 »

Hello,

My Dreamcast is busted so I was playing Grandia 2 the steam version. But I'm stuck because after about 40 hours of gameplay now it keeps crashing. The developers said that it's based on the Dreamcast version and that it's possible to transfer the save files back and forth from Dreamcast to the PC version. I'm tired of the game crashing on PC so I would like to play it using an emulator for PC. The save files from the game say GRANDIA2_000.VMS and GRANDIA2_001.VMS. Is there an emulator that support those ? I tried flycast and it runs the game well but I 'm unable to transfer the files as they're named differently and are not the same size.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: Dreamcast emulator for PC

Post by cube_b3 »

My DC copy of Grandia 2 crashed.

NullDC is another emulator don't know how to convert steam save files though.
tekkaman1
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tekkaman1 »

The thing is, that according to the pc game developers the game is based of the Dreamcast version and they even advertised that you could transfer the saves from the Dreamcast to pc. They talked about that like it was a feature. What I would like is transfer the save to an emulator.

I´ve had such bad luck with this game. I bought this game twice for Dreamcast. Twice the game got disk rot. I have Sega CD games that are still in perfect condition. But this game in particular loves to rot. And now the pc version sucks. It´s so hard to play this game. It´s frustrating.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I hear you my collectors copy of Grandia is useless.
The illegal download version of it came on 3 cd's.

Tin foil theory but anytime a Dreamcast game had more data than you'd expect on a CD. The GD would die early.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I don't think any emulators interface with .VMS game saves directly, they typically use a .bin disk image and the VMS files are saved inside.

Perhaps try VMU TOOL PC? https://sizious.com/download/dreamcast/#vmu-tool-pc
I think you might be able to insert the save files into a VMU image using that.
It's thinking...