GLdc integration into kos(-ports) - can I help ?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
T_chan
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

GLdc integration into kos(-ports) - can I help ?

Post by T_chan »

Hello,

I think there is a global feeling that GLdc became a good alternative for libGL...

Is there anything I can do to help merge it into kos(-ports) ?
Has there also been a general reflexion on how to integrate it -
hard break (there are some breaking changes after all) or soft transition via co-existence / conditional switch ?

I'll have some free time beginning of january, if I can help facilitate the process, please tell me...
kazade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: GLdc integration into kos(-ports) - can I help ?

Post by kazade »

Right so my thoughts on this are as follows:

- GLdc is probably ready enough to be moved into kos-ports
- It should replace libgl as the "default" GL implementation, but libgl should remain installable
- libgl shouldn't be built + installed by default, GLdc should...
- However, I don't know whether it's possible to make it switchable somehow so if someone wants to then install libgl?
These users thanked the author kazade for the post (total 2):
Ian RobinsonSiZiOUS
T_chan
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by T_chan »

"Not built by default":
probably better indeed if you want to avoid to always have to regression-test both solutions...
But that means that libgl will only still work for x versions, until the changes to kos become too many to fix libgl.
Positive is to let people focus on only 1 lib, and let the past vanish quietly & silently.

"Switchable":
The libs and includes are links, so that should be easy to make switchable I suppose, eg via a small helper script if really needed.
You could also think of an extra variable in environ*.sh that (un)blocks the build with all the rest of kos/kos-ports

The examples... are more tricky:
- GLdc defines a glkos.h, libgl uses glut...
ideally there would be only 1 set of OpenGL examples, not 2...
But even if we go for 1 set of examples, some examples are not supported at all by libgl, so there would be separate folders for some examples anyways...
So not sure if it's worth the effort, I suppose it's better to just have a folder next to the kgl samples folder...

- Personal feeling - just an idea - there is some dreamcast-specific things (#ifdef) in the OpenGL (GLdc) examples...
Ideally this would be even more obfuscated,
so that people can just drop any OpengL program & it can compile for kos... or at least with very minimal effort...
But that would eg mean the usage of an extra widely used/cross-platform library for eg the pad input...
... and could be done in a later step after the merge...

(based on a very quick analysis)
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

Just wondering Kazade,
When GLdc will be integrated in kos-ports, do you will maintain/upgrade it directly in kos-ports?
I usually "transfer" the ownership of my projects as soon they are included in KOS official trunk but I wondering if really this is a "good" practice...?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

There is no reason that things absolutely have to be in the KOS sourceforge git repository.

I would recommend that things designed for KOS specifically get mirrored there and on the KOS GitHub organization (for safe keeping), but it isn't a hard requirement by any means.
kazade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kazade »

I can certainly mirror GLdc (and ALdc) over to the KOS GitHub organisation - that's easy enough. Once I get Driving Strikers launched I'll try to sort it out.
These users thanked the author kazade for the post (total 2):
T_chanbbmario