Font.h ?

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
hlabrand
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Font.h ?

Post by hlabrand »

Hello everyone!
I'm very new to development for the Dreamcast, so apologies if my question is trivial :)

I'm trying to compile FrotzDC (https://github.com/c99koder/FrotzDC/), which hasn't been touched in 15 years...
I installed KOS successfully, and the compilation of FrotzDC stops when compiling "src/dc/dc_init.c", with a "file not found" for "font.h" (which is included on line 11 of the dc_init.c file).

I read somewhere that KOS has been updated with a major version a few years ago, so maybe that's it? Maybe the "font.h" file has a different name, or is somewhere different? Or do I need to find it somewhere online and put it somewhere?

Thanks in advance :)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Font.h ?

Post by BlueCrab »

That looks like it is a file that should have been part of the FrotzDC code, not part of KOS (the fact that it is in #include'd with quotes and not angle brackets is kinda the giveaway there). So, unless there's a different copy of the source code floating around (or that file isn't actually needed), you might be out of luck, unfortunately.

There's probably plenty of other potential issues that might be caused by the much newer KOS version that exists now than what was around back then, of course.
hlabrand
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by hlabrand »

BlueCrab wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:39 pm That looks like it is a file that should have been part of the FrotzDC code, not part of KOS (the fact that it is in #include'd with quotes and not angle brackets is kinda the giveaway there).
Sorry, I just rephrased my error message cause it's in French, but it is indeed in angle brackets :
src/dc/dc_init.c:11:10: erreur fatale: font.h : Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type
   11 | #include <font.h>
      |          ^~~~~~~~
compilation terminée.
Makefile:73: recipe for target 'src/dc/dc_init.o' failed
I also tried <Font.h> and <biosfont.h> (I saw a file somewhere in KOS that had that name?), and neither could be found.

I dug a little deeper and found a compiled version, but it's possibly old; it might just be enough for my purposes, although I'd have liked to compile it from source (if possible, if KOS hasn't changed too much, as you mentioned...). If anyone has another idea, let me know :)

EDIT: there are 3 "font.h" on my install of KOS:
/opt/toolchains/dc/kos/examples/dreamcast/kgl/demos/specular/font.h
/opt/toolchains/dc/kos-ports/libtsunami/inst/include/font.h
/opt/toolchains/dc/kos-ports/libparallax/inst/include/font.h

any of these sound good?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Ah, I looked at a different file than the one that you're mentioning there. That said, I'm still sure that the font.h it is referencing is not part of KOS at all. Any of the KOS-related .h files would be included as something like <plx/font.h> or <tsu/font.h>, not just as <font.h>; or they'd have something in a Makefile pointing to the libparallax/libtsunami include directory (which was not the way that most people would have done it).

Looking at other repositories by the same author, it appears that they had a set of common functions that had several header files like "sys.h", "font.h", etc. In fact, font.h is probably referring to this file right here: https://github.com/c99koder/DCSquares/b ... ude/font.h . That said, just having that file will likely do you very little good, as you will have to also copy over other things from that repository. That said, it should at least give you a starting point. You likely will run into trouble though, as it appears that the font code is using KGL, which has had a lot of changes over the years since then...
hlabrand
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by hlabrand »

Ah, thank you so much! I'll see if it's something I want to pursue further ; might be time to explore another route, from the sounds of it.