Elysian Shadows Kickstarter Live NOW!

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Elysian Shadows Kickstarter Live NOW!

Post by mankrip » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:09 pm

Yes, we're in good terms. Life was rough for both of us so I understand how things can get abrasive sometimes. I'm also difficult to deal with from time to time (as many people here know).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 24 times

Post by BlueCrab » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:02 pm

GyroVorbis wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:18 pm
Elysian Shadows fan Discord channel https://discord.gg/kpTY6w
Just wanted to point out that the Discord invite there seems to be invalid.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:16 pm

BlueCrab wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:02 pm
GyroVorbis wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:18 pm
Elysian Shadows fan Discord channel https://discord.gg/kpTY6w
Just wanted to point out that the Discord invite there seems to be invalid.
Whoops! Thanks so much... I forgot the invites expire if you don't modify them.... shows how new I am to discord. :lol:
Elysian Shadows - "Next-Gen" 2D/3D RPG coming to Sega Dreamcast, Steam, OUYA, and Smartphones
http://www.elysianshadows.com
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:32 am

Countdown to 2019....
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:56 am

Any updates after 2 months? thanks
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Three is magic
radgegames
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by radgegames » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:18 pm

I noticed that there hasn't been an update on the website for almost a year now, so I went to the social media accounts and I have to say even after I read this entire thread I still think this project is glorious. Don't get me wrong I can understand the frustration with development concerning the fact the game is WAY late and some of the reactions were probably not the most professional but after watching the last dev a thon and really listening to GyroVorbis explain the logic behind ESTK and the level of detail they are seeking and the number of ways they are outperforming unity I really do hope development finishes with this project as a whole and I hope things go well for the dev team in their future projects. Now I'm not a backer for the project but I think the fact the developers are still heavily working on this or at least seem to be just from their passion alone really says something and personally, I'd probably still be down to buy the game once it releases.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:32 pm

:(
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Nico0020 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:05 am

law56ker wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:32 am
Countdown to 2019....
Countdown to 2020!

At this point Falco, why not release what you have to the community and call it a day? That wouldn't stop you from working on your game in your spare time as a hobby, but at least the backers who wanted your toolkit would get it and could make their own projects with it.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by |darc| » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:04 pm

Nico0020 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:05 am
law56ker wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:32 am
Countdown to 2019....
Countdown to 2020!

At this point Falco, why not release what you have to the community and call it a day? That wouldn't stop you from working on your game in your spare time as a hobby, but at least the backers who wanted your toolkit would get it and could make their own projects with it.
Cause he's still working on it? I mean, I see him talk about it in the Discord regularly.

No idea if he's making actual real progress or if things are just going around in circles like vaporware though.
It's thinking...
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:04 pm

can't wait for my pressed dreamcast disc, well hopefully my dreamcast still works
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel
Been liked: 3 times

Post by I.M. Weasel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:14 pm

Its been 6 years and you havent put out anything yet??? That $$$ could have paid you a full time salary for 7 years or a team for 1 year to actually produce this thing.

If I hired a company to make me a game for that amount it would be out in the year, even on the shitty OG katana devkit.

You dont have depression or whatever. You're a sociopath, scam artist, and a professional baby. You stole peoples money and you probably deserve jailtime for fraud.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 pm

I.M. Weasel wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:14 pm
Its been 6 years and you havent put out anything yet??? That $$$ could have paid you a full time salary for 7 years or a team for 1 year to actually produce this thing.

If I hired a company to make me a game for that amount it would be out in the year, even on the shitty OG katana devkit.

You dont have depression or whatever. You're a sociopath, scam artist, and a professional baby. You stole peoples money and you probably deserve jailtime for fraud.
Yea. Him and his whole project were a failure. Any decent person would have come forward and said "Sorry everyone, we tried our best but we just couldn't do it. Thank you for all your support and patience," followed by releasing everything they have made up until this point to try and satisfy some of their backers. There are a lot of honest, generous and hardworking devs in the Dreamcast scene these days, and Falco is definitely not one of them. No one would have faulted him for failing to produce a game if he was honest, upfront and humble about everything. Plenty of indie games and kickstarters fail. But instead, he attacked anyone who dared question the status or quality of the project, followed by radio silence on all of the game’s sites and social media.

I don't like to just shit on people, but I just don't care anymore. I tried to understand him or what happened with his team and game, but it just seems like he is a toxic individual and drives everyone away he works with. He claims he takes full responsibility while simultaneously blaming everyone. That kind of arrogant and narcissistic attitude is what turned the community against him. I'm not missing my $60, but I know there are many others that gave him a LOT more of their money and could probably use it right about now.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:52 am

I came back and posted this after I read about this in another forum i go to; and it turned out to be true that diddly has been released. I remember when this thing first started, and now to see that its been 8 years and to see the INSANE amount of money they raised without anything happening. I find it kind of offensive that we helped release this upon the public at large by fostering him and his behaviour.

8 years and 750k or 800k and not a single game? That is just unfathomable

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:05 am

How are you coming up with that $750K and $800K figure?
It's thinking...
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:08 pm

Huh, the screenshot i saw listed thats what the kickstarter made. I guess that was incorrect - looking at the ks page. Well, that completely de-legimatizes some of things i said. what a mess

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:07 pm

I think you might have been looking at the stretch goals chart for added features if the Kickstarter made it over its initial funding. It goes up to $800K, but the Kickstarter made it to $185K.

I have no insight to how the money was spent or as to where it went, but it was funded in August 2014 and was supposed to ship December 2015.
And it wasn't just a DC game, it was also funded for iOS, Android, PC, Mac, and Linux.
$185K from Kickstarter, I don't know how much they made outside of Kickstarter, let's assume $20K
Plus Ouya matched the KS money if they also worked on an Ouya build. So all in all, if we assume they had $400K, that's $400K to pay 7 team members' salaries for a year to build a game that runs on 7 platforms. That's an average $43K annual salary to do that, and that's assuming that the salaries are the only expense the project would ever have, which is definitely not the case as they had to budget money for physical items and other expenses. [according to falco earlier in the thread, this was not how the payouts worked, so this is an average]

It's easy in retrospect to say you could throw that much money at someone and give them a Katana SDK and $400K and have them pump out a DC game in a year. But that's not what they promised and that's not what people pledged for.
You can't just wave a magic wand and convert all the time spent to make 15% of a game on 7 platforms and convert that to 105% of a Dreamcast game and ship it.

It was way too ambitious because Falco thought he could do anything and everything (that should be obvious in retrospect given that his ADHD brain took a detour writing an entire VMU emulator for this game after it failed to ship on time)
Because it was way too ambitious, it was inevitable that it wouldn't ship on time.
Because it wouldn't ship on time, it was inevitable that once the money dried up and it wasn't shipped yet, the team would fall apart.
So I'm not surprised things collapsed by 2017.

None of this is to absolve Falco of blame. He is responsible for the project's failures.
On top of that, like I said before, he is fucking terrible at public relations, I saw that firsthand discussing with him in private how to handle Wikipedia's article for Elysian Shadows, which he did not take my advice on and he and his publicist ended up getting it deleted and salted for a year.

From my perspective it's started a stupid vicious cycle where everyone dogpiles on him, which makes him more averse to just being straight with everyone, which makes him look even less trustworthy, which makes everyone dogpile on him more.

I mean, that's still his fault in the end, and he may well have misspent some/a lot of the money, I don't know, but I also don't see any concrete proof that the whole project was a fraud and he just wanted to pocket the money and ride off into the sunset or that he deserves to be in prison.

By the way, I said earlier in this thread in 2018 that I believed the game is still being worked on, and I can still say in the last 6 months I've seen proof of that firsthand in more than one way. I also have partial access to the ES private gitlab server.
I'm not saying it will be finished or released, ever, just that if this was all a con job, it was a ridiculously long con job for an audience of 1.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by cube_b3 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:30 pm

Just have to say that I was responsible for the Wikipedia page.
It was my responsibility and he jumped ahead of me, finished the article independently.
As we all know Wikipedia requires articles to be constructed around references and back in the day, I was using my DCS, Sega Addicts, Sega Bits and Sega Nerds channels to post said articles. I had just completed the DCS entry and he couldn't wait for the rest of the media plan to be executed as he had finished the whole article. I conceded and we posted the article prematurely. Rarely does a client ask you to do something and does it themselves. It was a first and last. Positives and negatives. I've not had a client like him.

That said, as soon as the Kickstarter went live and we executed our media plan. I was able to successfully have the article live.
I can also attest it was not a conjob, it was just a managerial fail.
Wish him the best though.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:05 pm

Falco updated his Facebook after a long hiatus:
I've updated Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
I'm done. I've been putting this shit off for so long. Hiding out until the day I am ready for it all, wondering if it's even worth it, but secretly hating myself for not doing it.
I'm back. Block me, ban me, censor me. I don't give a shit. At least I won't hate myself.
Time to stop hiding like a bitch over mistakes I made years ago.
I'm ready to atone.
https://www.facebook.com/gyrovorbis/pos ... 7480817464
So I have obviously spent some serious time away from social media... I moved away to Boston, MA to join AMD, I became a father to a beautiful baby son, and then we just moved back south to the Durham, NC area after I accepted my dream position as a Senior Console Tools Engineer with Nvidia... Have I given up on ES? Lolno. But I needed to distance myself from my social media and online presence...
I think everyone on here knows I was more than a bit of a social media narcissist, and hey, it worked out pretty well for me for years and years, and ultimately led me to where I am today... But there was a darker side. I went from being an insecure nerd to internet fame in a few important developmental years. I absolutely thrived on the wonderful words of affirmation I got from everyone, the praise I got from my peers, and it motivated me to no end... but little did I know, it would also one day prove to be my biggest weakness...
After failing to complete our Kickstarter on time (which sure, I'm more than happy to take full responsibility for), for the first time in my life, I had to experience it all do a complete 180... For the first time I learned what it was to be hated. To have my work shit on. To have my name dragged through the mud, to have horrible, untrue things said about me, to have to confront the fact that secretly I even agreed with half of the claims that I was a failure from the people who I hated, which just made me hate myself more... My source of motivation and inspiration became my source of torment, to the point that I didn't even want to work on my own life's work and on my dream project anymore...
Then when I became a father, I knew I had to distance myself and pull my head out of my ass. I had to rebuild my own self esteem away from all of the superficial, fleeting praise that I had previously been showered with. I had to find a motivation that went far beyond what I could get seeking Facebook "likes" and Twitter "retweets" like a cheap crack whore fiending for her next dopamine fix...
I worked on myself. I stopped a lot of self-destructive habits that I had picked up killing myself for the Kickstarter (read: drug addiction). I spent day and night perusing the scientific and academic literature looking for how to rebuild my physical and mental strength, how to come off of my antidepressants, and how to become happy and healthy again... and eventually... you know what? I found it. I made diet, exercise, fasting, and supplements the cornerstone of my life... Shit, I even took up meditation! With the same rigor and determination that I pursued computer engineering with, I pursued my own health, and I was even fortunate enough to discover that I truly did have the intellectual capacity for a second passion in my life.
After spending my entire adult life weight lifting (and still being fat and metabolically dysfunctional), I just figured I'd never have a 6 pack... but I finally achieved one without much effort. I found out most of what the "scientists" tell you about health and diet is complete fucking bullshit propaganda led by the interests of big food and of a bunch of Harvard professors whose antiquated work has become "too big to be wrong." I got into the best shape of my life. I felt better after age 30 than I ever was able to in my 20s, and I even found happiness... Well, mostly. Except for the nagging feeling that I could never truly be happy or live with myself without finishing this game... What would I say to my son, as I teach him to fight for his dreams and to never give up?
But then as I was gearing up to crawl my sorry ass back onto social media platforms, something funny happened. The same social media bastions of freedom where I grew up as a 13 year-old able to broadcast his loud, crude humor and late nights cussing up a storm while pursuing the glory of computer engineering--inspiring an entire generation along the way--had suddenly changed. No longer were people able to say what they want here. No longer could a little ADHD kid with a big mouth organically work his way up from nothing with a less-than-politically correct attitude. No longer could someone make a living or even a side income on such platforms without self-censoring or spreading a message that was even remotely against the mainstream.
Nope. I had to confront the sad reality that the majority of the kinds of posts and videos that I grew up making, that built my audience, that made me relevant, that even allowed Elysian Shadows to get as far as it did, are no longer welcome or appreciated today. That YouTube rankings are more about how much you're paying for advertisement or how much money you're making them than they are about audience engagement. That free exchange of ideas was replaced with censorship. That being "offended" became more important than being right. That entire political groups were being censored and voices were being silenced just for disagreeing with big tech. That many of these amazing doctors whose work helped me find my own health and fitness, whose views I could literally verify in the medical literature were now being deleted, censored, and silenced just for having the audacity to question the media's narrative surrounding COVID... That no matter how big you think you are, you can have the entire thing ripped away from you for slipping up and saying something that can be misconstrued by a bunch of childish narcissists who see fit to make everything about them.
I've even seen my wife's posts, which I could prove to be 100% true in the scientific literature (and you could as well with a 2 second Pubmed search), be taken down and censored as "misinformation" by the fascist "fact checkers" of Facebook who offered zero actual evidence--not one peer reviewed scientific paper--to defend their stance and conveniently provided no avenue through which to post a rebuttal. Is that how a debate works? Is that how rational human beings in an enlightened society determine what is true and what is false? Based on what information unqualified, uneducated "fact checkers" employed by big tech deem you worthy of consuming?
So where the fuck does this dystopic authoritarian pseudo-scientific Orwellian shitfest of an internet leave me? Other than truly, sincerely sorry from the bottom of my heart that my son can never experience the freedom that I did growing up? Other than me grieving that what was once glorious independence and freedom hard-earned from building an online audience and becoming an "influencer" has now become the worst kind of servitude? Where rather than being your own boss and being judged based on your work and content, everyone else is your boss, and the sum worth of your digital existence is to be weighed against their arbitrary standards?
It's not even about political correctness or being "offended" anymore. The cancer has permeated into the hard sciences. Where studies questioning mask efficacy or rightfully pointing to metabolic syndrome as the largest controllable risk factor for COVID are ideas that are too "dangerous" to be allowed to freely spread? Are we really that stupid? Are we really that easily manipulated and controlled? Are we really that evolutionarily unfit to confront ideas that challenge our own? Were our ancestors so weak, we wouldn't be here right now.
It leaves me wondering if there's a point. It leaves me wondering if I really do want to come back to it all. To know all of the pain and hardships that spending so much time in the public eye entail, especially after the mistakes I've made, and the penance I know I have to pay... and now I know that the rules of the game aren't even fair. Everything you've worked for, every post you've made, every meaningful piece of content you've contributed to these platforms that could have inspired dozens of kids to pursue engineering or science can be removed at a moment's notice because they decide that they don't like you or your message? Is that really a fight that's worth fighting? Is that really even the type of audience you want? Is that the kind of platform you want to invest your intellectual energy into? I'm truly not sure anymore.
Anyway, I'm ending the rant here. I'm sure everyone noticed that I went from Facebook addict to gone for years, and I absolutely owe everyone who has ever supported me or my work this explanation, but I really didn't know what to say, and I still don't. I still don't know how to handle it... Shit, I don't know that this post won't be deleted by the "fact checkers" for what I've already said. Just know that I love you all and truly appreciate the support you've shown through all of these years from the bottom of my heart, and I am truly, sincerely sorry for any trouble that my failures may have caused over the years.
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:58 am

Guys I used to have a huge problem with narcissism. Anyway, I just want you all to know I now have a six pack.