this particular VMU mini-game won't run at all

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
beautifulman
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

this particular VMU mini-game won't run at all

Post by beautifulman »

i've tried Visual Memory Simulator on windows, and also Vemulator & Visual Memory Emulator on android, none of them were able to run this particular VMU minigame that i have.

i have the VMU bios file in all instances and have configured the emulators correctly according to the documentations provided by their respective creator, and yet none of them could run this particular VMU minigame.

i've also tried using Dream Explorer running on DEMUL, but that didn't work either.

so does anyone know of any VMU emulators out there that i can use to run this particular VMU mini-game that i have?

alternatively, is there a way to transfer the minigame directly to the VMU itself using just a PC and a special cable? (my dreamcast died back in 2002)

many thanks for your help!
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: this particular VMU mini-game won't run at all

Post by mankrip »

Try ElysianVMU.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
beautifulman
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by beautifulman »

ElysianVMU was the first thing i searched for, but all the downloads seems to have been removed by Falco Girgis himself

http://forums.elysianshadows.com/viewto ... 659#p91659

falco posted all the builds to ElysianVMU on his forum which is the link above, but as one can see it is no longer available.

seems like nobody else has uploaded the ElysianVMU package to anywhere else, i've been searching for these past 2 days and found nothing.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

beautifulman wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:05 am ElysianVMU was the first thing i searched for, but all the downloads seems to have been removed by Falco Girgis himself
... uhm, wut? My psychotic little brother got pissed off at our team and deleted 5 years worth of news and project content on our forums. I do not understand how a simple "this topic has been deleted" message means "Falco Girgis himself" deleted his own work. If you don't mind, the next time something gets deleted on a forum for a project with a team of 8+ people with multiple moderators who aren't even on the team, please don't jump just assume I went there and personally deleted my own work for some reason based solely on the fact that a thread is missing... I don't mean to jump up your ass, but this kind of conclusion is how half of the Elysian Shadows fake news and misguided anger towards me originated.

I work my ass of on ElysianVMU. It's BY FAR the most capable VMU emulator in existence, and it's very much still an alive, ongoing project. I have a guy working with me to create a new VMU specific programming language to encourage more people to work on it. I have another guy creating one of the most ambitious VMU game undertakings ever who can only use my emulator, because it's the only one with enough feature support and hardware accuracy to be useful to him. I also have another guy working on a new website for the project that is not complete yet: http://vmu.elysianshadows.com

Now until the new site is launched, here's the link to the Dropbox where the automated builds get shit out from:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rai7db85bqq5 ... P6kVa?dl=0

These builds are in a constant state of Flux, as EVMU is part of Elysian Shadows, which is a massive project where code changes are happening continuously. It might be stable one minute and unstable the next (they share the same cross-platform back-end). The website will be where we will host the stable builds, but this direct link will give the newest, most feature-complete builds at the price of not having been tested or verified as far as stability goes.

If you don't mind, whatever this VMU game is, I would love to hear your feedback. I'm very passionate about the VMU and have gone to extreme lengths to emulate it. I am not aware of a single ROM that doesn't work (including Japanese BIOS), so if this doesn't work properly, I would want to address it immediately, as that's absolutely not acceptable to me for an emulator like EVMU. Even if it works, can I get a copy of this ROM for our validation/verification tests? Because it sounds quite obscure and must be using some of the most obscure features if it's not working on the other emulators.

There is a very very small list of known EVMU issues that I just haven't gotten around to fixing quite yet, since they're very minor, not game breaking, and I'm super busy with Elysian Shadows.

If you're interested, I would love to hear from you, your thoughts on EVMU, and more about the game in our Discord chat:
https://discord.gg/kpTY6w

We have a group of 50-100 fans and backers in there, the whole Elysian Shadows development team, and a small community of VMU developers we've attracted with EVMU at all times... If you have any VMU-related questions, the sheer amount of knowledge in there will surely help you out. Thanks so much.
beautifulman
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by beautifulman »

my apologies, i incorrectly assumed that you had taken down the files on your forums due to personal reason.

thank you so much for re uploading the files, the VMU mini game now works perfectly with the fantastic VMU emulator that you have built.
(the vmu game file originally came from bswirl.kitsunet.org)

thanks so much again for all your help! Thank you! :grin:
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Oh, thank you so much! Can you tell me which game it was? I'm curious to know what the heck it's doing that the other ones are not handling properly, because during all my research, I'm also intimately familiar with all of their internals too. As incomplete as they are, they pretty much do everything I would expect for the majority of VMU games minus some hardware features and a liiiittle bit of accuracy. :lol:

No problem, man. We have a lot of cool features for EVMU and the VMU in general coming your way soon (and Dreamcast with Redream), and we're hoping to really make EVMU the one-stop tool for BOTH gamers and developers on the VMU, drastically reducing the barrier to entry on the platform and making it much easier for hobbyist developers to get into. I think between the new high-level VMU programming language, getting EVMU launched on all platforms and interopable with Steam, and then bundling it and doing interop with Redream will breathe a new life into the VMU!

Still need to get EVMU launched on mobile devices, though, but that's coming. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you find any issues or want any fancy new features!