buying a dreamshell SD-Adaptor from dc-sd.com

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
beautifulman
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

buying a dreamshell SD-Adaptor from dc-sd.com

Post by beautifulman »

anyone bought one of these dreamshell SD-Adaptors from dc-sd.com?

here's the site if anyone is interested.

http://dc-sd.com/p/1/dreamcast-sd-adapt ... cardreader

i know that these sd-adaptor has some compatibility issue due to the slow serial port of the dreamcast, but i still want to give it a try anyway.

thanks for letting me know!
nv0bdizc
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: buying a dreamshell SD-Adaptor from dc-sd.com

Post by nv0bdizc »

I bought one off a seller on eBay so I'm not sure who originally made it. It wasn't manufactured for task, rather it was obviously a USB->SD card adapter that had been modified, there were even a few strings of hot glue left hanging around the connector.

As a gaming peripheral it's pretty sub-par: many games either outright don't work and the ones which do work have been altered for a less-than-ideal experience (music had to be removed, video cut-scenes are choppy etc). However, homebrews do work rather well with it due to being smaller and less media intensive.

Having said all that it's a very nifty hacking tool when used in conjunction with Dreamshell. I can get my own code transferred and executing on the Dreamcast without having to perform any hardware mods and price-wise It compares very favourably to similar devices for other platforms, so for that use-case I'm definitely getting the <$15 worth of value out of it.
beautifulman
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Re: buying a dreamshell SD-Adaptor from dc-sd.com

Post by beautifulman »

thanks for the detailed reply!

by the way, is there a list of known working games on the dreamcast SD-Adaptor?

also how much did you buy it for? the ones i found on ebay are quite expensive at $20gbp

thank you!