In The Line Of Fire - Kickstarter Launched!

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

In The Line Of Fire - Kickstarter Launched!

Post by PH3NOM »

Alright my friends, we are now live!

I would like to thank you all for following us this far.

And I hope you can find some time to check our project out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/62 ... ne-of-fire

And members of the press are invited to contact us for access to a current early access build!

Last edited by PH3NOM on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogglez
Been thanked: 0

Re: In The Line Of Fire - Kickstarter Launced!

Post by bogglez »

First of all: holy fuck you made it this far. Great kickstarter page and congratulations!
I'll pledge 50 bucks, just have to borrow my girlfriend's credit card. :)

Suggestions:
- There are some typos in the image with the controller.
- The blood-on-screen is a bit too much for my tastes. I prefer such effects to be on the edge of the screen, e.g. Overwatch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gifvFxYufWk
- The model of the crime lord seems too high poly, I doubt you'll be able to use that in-game?
- More info on the multi player would be nice (e.g. weapon arsenal, player count). Especially since the single player gameplay of using cameras etc. won't translate there, I assume.

Work hard!
Wiki & tutorials: http://dcemulation.org/?title=Development
Wiki feedback: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=103940
My libgl playground (not for production): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/libgl15
My lxdream fork (with small fixes): https://bitbucket.org/bogglez/lxdream
juguefre
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Re: In The Line Of Fire - Kickstarter Launced!

Post by juguefre »

bogglez wrote:First of all: holy fuck you made it this far. Great kickstarter page and congratulations!
I'll pledge 50 bucks, just have to borrow my girlfriend's credit card. :)

Suggestions:
- There are some typos in the image with the controller.
- The blood-on-screen is a bit too much for my tastes. I prefer such effects to be on the edge of the screen, e.g. Overwatch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gifvFxYufWk
- The model of the crime lord seems too high poly, I doubt you'll be able to use that in-game?
- More info on the multi player would be nice (e.g. weapon arsenal, player count). Especially since the single player gameplay of using cameras etc. won't translate there, I assume.

Work hard!
Thank you for your support!

-Damn typos.....
-That blood splash is a placeholder and it will be changed soon
-It is, but the process for realistic characters requires to go over that stage, I will make him low poly and will preserve as much details as possible.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: In The Line Of Fire - Kickstarter Launched!

Post by cube_b3 »

Goodluck, man. You had discussed you wanted to go Kickstarter but I didn't expect it this quickly.
You are in a risky spot. Holiday seasons, right after Black Friday sales. People do spend during the holidays, I just hope they still have money left. Me, my bank account is in negative right now. I did crazy black Friday shopping.

I hope you are networked with Indie game developers and they promote your Kickstarter.
If you are not networked with any developers PM me and I'll see if I can get them to share your KS.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

bogglez - thank you for support as always my friend!

Offline Multi-Player will be limited to 2 players per console.
If Online funding goal is reached, 4 players per map will be the initial limit.
But I agree, we will update the KS page to make this information clear.

cube_b3 - thank you for your consideration! We appreciate any support you can gather!
pcwzrd13
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by pcwzrd13 »

Day 1 backer as promised! :grin: I'll make an article about this on Dreamcast Live in a bit. I really hope it makes that online multiplayer tier!
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Definately backing this. You have made some great progress in this with a very reasonable goal.
Although man, the Holiday season is a ROUGH time to launch a kickstarter.
DCtalk is also down currently, which is where a lot of your backers will come from I expect.

I think this project has a lot of potential, but for a kickstarter to be successful you need to be VERY proactive. I am sure you know what you are doing and have done a lot of work and research into your kickstarter, but here is some advice.

Recommendations:
-Contact other Dreamcast Indie Kickstarters and devs and ask them to post an update about your kickstarter in their own. Elysian Shadows, Alice Dreams, Xenocider, Yuan Works, Henshine Engine, Pier Solar, and Tanglewood. IIRC you are already in contact with the DC junkyard, so TOM can easily speak to the hardcore fanbase.
-Especially talk to the team behind Xenocider, ask where they feel what mistakes they made in their Kickstarter.

-Make a visual graphic for stretch goals, also offer small stretch goals for shares on Facebook and Twitter. For example, so many shares on facebook results in the release of a small Alpha that can be played on the DC or new gameplay footage.

- The first stretch goal is a BIG jump from 45,000 to 70,000. I would recommend placing a small goal between those two to help give backers something to reach for.

-Put up a mock-up of your case for the regular and limited edition, as people will always judge a book by its cover. Also most people who buy new DC games are the hardcore collectors, so its best for them to see what they are getting, and the ideas behind the difference between each version.

-As for other backer rewards, make a tier where you can get all three versions of the game for a slight discount - as this will appeal to the collectors.

-Make a press release and send out to all the gamer blogs/news sites. ANY Sega related site or message board. I would also recommend getting this press release in as many languages as you can. Reach out to the community see if there are people who can help translate into other languages.

GOOD LUCK! Keep posting updates on the KS page, show off new material as often as possible. I will be backing and would love to see you hit all your stretch goals.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
dreamcast-news
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dreamcast-news »

News for french lovers : http://dreamcast-news.blogspot.fr/2016/ ... arter.html

GOOD LUCK !!!!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Backed, and tweeted to all of my followers.

Hopefully you all get to that online multiplayer goal. It'd give me a reason to work on the network code in KallistiOS some more, after all. :lol:
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Thank you guys very much for supporting our project, and thank you for your consideration!
Although man, the Holiday season is a ROUGH time to launch a kickstarter.
Yes, we understand this, it was a very difficult decision to launch this project during the holidays.
Our campaign lasts until Jan 15th, we are anticipating the last 2 weeks of our campaign will be the most important.
We are planning to release an Early Access build to the Public before then, so stay tuned!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

PH3NOM wrote:We are planning to release an Early Access build to the Public before then, so stay tuned!
Don't overestimate the demo release. It is an excellent talking point and will generate some excitement but the absolute minority of people will be willing or able to actually test it. You have to show the demo on a Twitch or Youtube channel with lots of subscribers to get some more attention.

Nico0020 wrote:I think this project has a lot of potential, but for a kickstarter to be successful you need to be VERY proactive. I am sure you know what you are doing and have done a lot of work and research into your kickstarter, but here is some advice.

Recommendations:
-Contact other Dreamcast Indie Kickstarters and devs and ask them to post an update about your kickstarter in their own. Elysian Shadows, Alice Dreams, Xenocider, Yuan Works, Henshine Engine, Pier Solar, and Tanglewood. IIRC you are already in contact with the DC junkyard, so TOM can easily speak to the hardcore fanbase.

-Make a visual graphic for stretch goals, also offer small stretch goals for shares on Facebook and Twitter. For example, so many shares on facebook results in the release of a small Alpha that can be played on the DC or new gameplay footage.

- The first stretch goal is a BIG jump from 45,000 to 70,000. I would recommend placing a small goal between those two to help give backers something to reach for.

-Put up a mock-up of your case for the regular and limited edition, as people will always judge a book by its cover. Also most people who buy new DC games are the hardcore collectors, so its best for them to see what they are getting, and the ideas behind the difference between each version.

-As for other backer rewards, make a tier where you can get all three versions of the game for a slight discount - as this will appeal to the collectors.

-Make a press release and send out to all the gamer blogs/news sites. ANY Sega related site or message board. I would also recommend getting this press release in as many languages as you can. Reach out to the community see if there are people who can help translate into other languages.
This @110%! All of these are essential. Do these immediately, do not waste time. Post *daily* updates to your kickstarter/twitter/facebook!

I'd also recommend to lower the stretch goals to 50k for the source code release and 60k for the online support. What you have right now is a truly excellent looking Dreamcast game. The problem you have is that it is in a genre which many are used to play on next gen machines. So while the genre as such might not appeal to everyone, online support in a homebrew game definitely is a BIG BIG deal, same for the engine, source code and tools. That's why I would recommend to drastically lower your stretch goals to make it more interesting for people to invest. And work your ass off on public relations, especially with big(ger) Youtubers and non-scene-affiliated news sites.
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

+1

We really need to introduce the like button here...

@ Christ: Would you be able to translate their press releases into German. I believe that is the biggest market period. Next we would have the english market and lastly French.

We could reach out to SegaGAGA Domain for help with Japanese translations? Though the website hasn't been updated in years... Nonetheless it shouldn't be to hard to find translators.
juguefre
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by juguefre »

Thank you all very much for the advices and support, we are addressing your points.

-Contact other Dreamcast Indie Kickstarters and devs.
*We want to contact them with the demo so they can test it and make their own minds about the project instead of a bunch of written words.

-Put up a mock-up of your case for the regular and limited edition.
*This one will be posted in the campaign very soon.

-As for other backer rewards, make a tier where you can get all three versions of the game for a slight discount.
*This one will be added today.

-Make a press release and send out to all the gamer blogs/news sites. ANY Sega related site or message board.
*I already tried to contact several of them and got zero responses, I have to admit is most likely my fault, I'm a CGI technical artist and I never worked on sales, marketing or advertising therefore I suspect my work in those areas up to this point is very flawed.

If anyone of you need/want to get in contact with me Email me at
juguefre2@gmail.com

Thank you all for your support.
Christuserloeser

juguefre wrote:-Contact other Dreamcast Indie Kickstarters and devs.
*We want to contact them with the demo so they can test it and make their own minds about the project instead of a bunch of written words.
Contact them immediately. There is absolutely no excuse to wait for anything, you need their attention now, not later. When the demo is out and when the campaign is about to end you have a good reason to contact them *again*.

Basically you have to post news every day and then update everyone on the planet about it. Basically it's a bit like this: If you had to take a shit, great, that's news!, post about it on all channels. So if a website, blog, youtuber mentions your campaign, or you have any new screenshots or videos, go and let the rest of the world know.

juguefre wrote:-Make a press release and send out to all the gamer blogs/news sites. ANY Sega related site or message board.
*I already tried to contact several of them and got zero responses, I have to admit is most likely my fault, I'm a CGI technical artist and I never worked on sales, marketing or advertising therefore I suspect my work in those areas up to this point is very flawed.
Basically you write a short synopsis of your campaign and your goals = selling points. As far as I see you got three main selling points:

- excellent 3D graphics worthy of the Dreamcast hardware's power (a first in a homebrew game, even Sturmwind was 2d)
- game engine, tools and source code will be made available (big selling point, but you have to lower your stretch goal to 50k to make it interesting)
- online play (another first, probably the biggest selling point, again: lower your stretch goal to 60k)

Any writeup you send out should focus on these three points.
dreamcast-news
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by dreamcast-news »

Orion was the 1st to released a first homebrew / Indy DC game in 3D. :-)

juguefre wrote:*I already tried to contact several of them and got zero responses, I have to admit is most likely my fault, I'm a CGI technical artist and I never worked on sales, marketing or advertising therefore I suspect my work in those areas up to this point is very flawed.
Really ? Personally I never received anything (information, email, private message ...) from you. :?
Christuserloeser

Maybe you guys do have an internal PC version for development? so you could offer a PC download for people who don't have a working Dreamcast anymore but who would want to support the project? If not, maybe you could bundle the game with a Dreamcast emulator (like Tanglewood will do for the PC version, bundling the game with a Genesis emulator in a neat package).
You could add this to the $20 pledge and subsequent tiers and I am sure you will get many more backers.

Edit: The engine is Quake 3 bsp compatible ? Does that mean that one basically could use any Q3 editor to create levels in your engine. And that it is possible to load existing Q3 levels and mods into your editor ?
Christuserloeser

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/62 ... ts/1769922

Update #1: Week 1 Coming To a Close

Thank you all for your support!

Everyone has been very positive so far, and we continue to spread awareness.

https://twitter.com/AdamKoralik/status/ ... 0568632320

A special thank you to "Beginner", for pledging 500$ for the role as Gun Cage Manager.

There have been a lot of requests to see what the covers are going to look like, and we will deliver these soon, so stay posted!

Considering we are in the week of Christmas, we expected things to slow down during this time. Do not worry, we are working full speed behind the scenes, and will make a big update soon!

Happy holidays to everyone!
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Please check your inbox, unrelated to the thread. But important.
SeGaFrEaK NL
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by SeGaFrEaK NL »

What engine is this running on? Wouldn't mind doing some levels or textures perhaps.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Read the Kickstarter description.

They have there own engine.