Hotmail vs Gmail

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Hotmail vs Gmail

Post by |darc| »

Maybe it is an American vs. British issue, because saying that you went to Chick-fil-A and got a chicken burger just screams "I'm not from here" in America.

Think if it like bacon. Everyone knows bacon is made of pork (Canadian and UK varieties of bacon are slightly different types of pork cuts, but it's all pork). Now, if you said "turkey bacon" or "veggie bacon" people would know what you meant, but know that you're talking about some substitute product made of turkey or tofu or whatever.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Why do American's insist on ruining basic English.

I thought my biggest problem with American English was Football being called soccer. Like seriously, In American Football you hold the football in your hand. WTF? Now America has ruined burgers for me.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I really don't mind about different vocabulary. Even within the UK you can find people using different words for the same things. Everyone in the UK will pretend we don't like the word 'soccer' but we actually use it quite a lot. Sky Sports Soccer Saturday has been going since 1992. Can't beat that alliteration.

There are two 'Americanisms' that get me every time though. "I couldn't care less" which literally means the exact opposite of what it's used for, and "He wrote me" because it must take a preposition in British English and sounds like a mistake I'd expect from my Chinese students.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:Why do American's insist on ruining basic English.
You pluralize words in English by adding an -s, not an apostrophe+s. Americans. So much for Americans ruining basic English...
cube_b3 wrote:I thought my biggest problem with American English was Football being called soccer. Like seriously, In American Football you hold the football in your hand. WTF? Now America has ruined burgers for me.
Uhh, carrying the football in your hand came from Rugby football, which is a British game.

It's not like the game of American football was invented and they decided to just name it "football." The concept of "football" goes back a couple hundred years, and its history blends with the history of Association football (soccer) and Rugby football, both British in origin. College students in the Northeast U.S. started playing English football as a hobby, which grew into universities having official teams. Each university had its own set of rules, though, and the visiting team and home team would agree on which ruleset to follow for each game. In what is considered the first football game, between Princeton and Rutgers, it wasn't actually legal to carry the ball and the game was basically a violent 25-on-25 mob of people kicking the ball around trying to kick it through the other team's goal, with no sets of downs/tries like in modern American football or Rugby football.

Eventually some teams adopted rugby football style rules with sets of downs. Then later on the touchdown was added. Over time, the kicking aspect played less and less of a role. And now, in the modern era, kicking the ball is even less important as safety rules have made playing defense harder and most offenses are easily able to drive down the field and make a touchdown.

So even though it might not be the case anymore, American football is deeply rooted in a game of kicking the ball.
It's thinking...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Specially Cork wrote:There are two 'Americanisms' that get me every time though. "I couldn't care less" which literally means the exact opposite of what it's used for
Yeah, but saying that one couldn't care less is considered incorrect English even in the U.S.. I mean, there's even a word filter here at DCEmu that changes "I could _ care less" to "I couldn't care less." :P
Specially Cork wrote:, and "He wrote me" because it must take a preposition in British English and sounds like a mistake I'd expect from my Chinese students.
I'm not sure what you're saying here; you mean like "He wrote [a letter] [to] me," with "to" being the preposition in question?
It's thinking...
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

It could be worse. In some parts of the world, they say "take the piss" when they aren't literally taking someone else's urine by vague means.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:I'm not sure what you're saying here; you mean like "He wrote [a letter] [to] me," with "to" being the preposition in question?
Yeah thinking about it...forget that part. Obviously "He wrote me a letter" is fine. It's the shortening of it that gets to me. I hear it a lot in American movies and TV shows.

"This is darc, I invited him here because he wrote me 3 months ago to ask me about....blah blah blah"
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It might annoy you, but that's a perfectly legitimate language construct and it has parallels in other languages. Basically, the "me" is in the dative case (indirect object). The direct object (letter) is omitted.

The Oxford English Dictionary, however, does have a separate, second definition of "wrote" (chiefly North American) which defines the word as "to write a letter to someone," in which case the "me" would be in the accusative case (direct object).

In other languages, though, like Latin, where you have to decline the noun to have a specific ending depending on its role in the sentence, the "me" would be in the dative (indirect object) case, with no noun in the accusative case (i.e. no direct object).

Think of the phrase "Did you tell her the news yet?" and the related phrase "Did you tell her yet?" The second phrase omits the direct object, but would you say that's wrong or annoying?
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

|darc| wrote:Think of the phrase "Did you tell her the news yet?" and the related phrase "Did you tell her yet?" The second phrase omits the direct object, but would you say that's wrong or annoying?
No, because that isn't wrong.

There are plenty of other verbs though where you can't omit the object. Try it with these.

Did you cook her dinner yet?

I bought a gift for him yesterday.

He sang me a beautiful song on Skype.

British people would put 'wrote' in this list.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Do British people not use the word "text" to refer to the act of sending SMS messages?
For example "I texted my wife a picture" vs. "I texted my wife."
How is this different than the use of "wrote"?
Specially Cork wrote:There are plenty of other verbs though where you can't omit the object. Try it with these.
But why would you say that you can you for some, but can't for others? Because of ambiguity. What's ambiguous about "she wrote me to say she is sorry"?
Specially Cork wrote:Did you cook her dinner yet?
This would be a poor sentence only because it's ambiguous, not because it violates some kind of language law. If English still had separate dative (indirect object) and accusative (direct object) pronouns as it did in Old English before they were merged together into an oblique, there would be no ambiguity of whether "her" was being cooked or cooked for. For example, in a language like Latin which is highly inflected, you could say "uxori coco" or "uxorem coco" which both mean "I cook the wife," but a good translator would translate the former as "I cook for the wife" (changing the indirect object to a prepositional object and adding the preposition "for") (i.e. the speaker is preparing a dish for his wife's consumption) and the latter as "I cook the wife" (i.e. we're eating someone's wife).
Specially Cork wrote:I bought a gift for him yesterday.
"bought" is the past tense of "buy," which is both a transitive and intransitive verb. So of course you can omit the object. Besides, "for him" is a prepositional phrase so "him" is neither the direct object or indirect object of "buy," but instead the object of the preposition "for."

And why is this poor English anyway? Granted, its usefulness is limited, but is perfectly fine for situations where people need to buy stuff for others without regard as to what the purchased object is... like for gift-giving.

Me: Mom, did you remember to buy Christmas gifts for your three grandchildren?
Mom: I bought for Dominic, but I did not yet buy for the others.

What's wrong with this?
Specially Cork wrote:He sang me a beautiful song on Skype.
See the first one.
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I've read all 3 pages of this topic and I can now confidently say that this website should be shut down forever.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

|darc| wrote:Do British people not use the word "text" to refer to the act of sending SMS messages?
Back in PK we would just say SMS.
Then we started MMSing as well.

But through technology evolving I think both words have been phased out by texting.

@ Soully: I am liking this thread. Maybe we can keep changing the Vs battle every page. :P
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

not just souLLy now wrote:I've read all 3 pages of this topic and I can now confidently say that this website should be shut down forever.

relevant
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

not just souLLy now wrote:I've read all 3 pages of this topic and I can now confidently say that this website should be shut down forever.
yeah it was better when this board was dominated by people calling each other fags and n00bs for not being able to burn selfbooting discs.
It's thinking...
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

lol discjuggler
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

ProtonMail really is a lot better.
|darc| was right
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I recently discovered my college offered there students MS Office for free, so now I have a TB of storage on my OneDrive. My new laptop does not have a big hard disc so OneDrive is my default storage medium.

I need my mail service to have the office features and a cloud storage service therefore, I've not bothered with Proton... I do think GMail has the better interface and similarly ProtonMail might have a better interface but the 1TB storage means Hotmail will remain my primary mail service.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

On the one hand, there is mass surveillance & native advertising.

On the other, the gfx are pertty.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Dude, we have already discussed privacy.
I get it Proton is secure.
Gmail & Hotmail are not.
Security is important.

I think you need to understand that Hotmail/Gmail offer more than just email.

You are highly stupid if you think having 1TB of free cloud storage space can be reduced to "the grafx are pretty"
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

cube_b3 wrote:I think you need to understand that Hotmail/Gmail offer more than just email.

You are highly stupid if you think having 1TB of free cloud storage space can be reduced to "the grafx are pretty"
cube_b3 wrote:Now whatever Proton mail is, it would be a new service and have their own way of doing things. I am not interested in that. I care about interface. I have nothing of real value to any hacker, therefore I don't care for encryptions. I care for a more pleasant UI instead.
Shifting the goalposts eh?
It's thinking...