dcload stuck on receiving data after send an *.elf [Solved]

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
Dormoxx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

dcload stuck on receiving data after send an *.elf [Solved]

Post by Dormoxx »

Hello!
I've setup my Dreamcast with a static IP address.
When I send a file over the network, dcload hangs at "receiving data...".

Any and all help is appreciated. If you need any more info just let me know.
Last edited by Dormoxx on Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#PlaySkullgirls
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: dcload-ip stuck on receiving data after send an *.elf

Post by |darc| »

which version of dcload-ip are you using?

This happened to me before, but I can't remember how I fixed it. I think it ended up just starting to work on its own after a few hours or something, lol.
It's thinking...
patbier
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by patbier »

Hello, is your OS windows ?
I had problems years ago and TapamN found the solution :
"I found that was apparently caused by how the Windows firewall handles UDP connections. If a UDP connection is idle for more than 60 seconds, it's removed from the NAT and blocked, even if it's still kept open. Adding an exception to the firewall seems to have fixed this."

Hope this will help you too !
ImageAlice Dreams Tournament Dreamcast fans : http://www.facebook.com/alicedreamst
In August 2015, we had to change "Dynamite Dreams" name to "Alice Dreams Tournament"
Dormoxx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Dormoxx »

|darc| wrote:which version of dcload-ip are you using?
v1.0.4 on the Dreamcast and v1.0.4 or v1.0.5 on the PC
patbier wrote:Hello, is your OS windows ?
Yeah, Windows 10. I've made a Linux install, but I have yet to test it.
Edit: I've got a working install of kos on my Linux install and dcload still hangs on loading data.
patbier wrote: ...Adding an exception to the firewall seems to have fixed this."
Hope this will help you too !
I'll work on that. Thanks!

Update: I've tried both Windows and Linux Mint,*.elf's and *.bin's both cause the dcload to hang at loading data.

...I really wish this would just work like it did when I first started in DC dev <_>

Update the Second: The router I currently use is both a router and a modem. I'm going to buy a regular router and make a second network to see if that does anything.
#PlaySkullgirls
Dormoxx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Dormoxx »

Success!

I went out to my local department store and picked up a basic router. I've got my Dev PC and Dreamcast hooked up to the basic router then that is hooked up to my cable router/modem. I've set everything up and I'm able to send *.elf's over the network now!
Though, I do get a flash of a blue screen with what looks like hex or decimal codes, then it flashes back to the dcload screen. Once I send it over the network again, it's fine.

Thanks everyone, I should be posting more now that I'm getting back into DC Dev :mrgreen: .
~dormoxx
#PlaySkullgirls
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SiZiOUS »

Well done! ;)
Dormoxx wrote: Though, I do get a flash of a blue screen with what looks like hex or decimal codes, then it flashes back to the dcload screen. Once I send it over the network again, it's fine.
Seems that your elf program is crashing :mrgreen:
Dormoxx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Dormoxx »

SiZiOUS wrote:Well done! ;)
Thanks! :^)
SiZiOUS wrote:Seems that your elf program is crashing :mrgreen:
Strange. The only programs I've been sending to the Dreamcast are from the example folder in kos. It's not giving me any problems right now (other than having to resend the file), so I'll worry about it if it does come to that.
#PlaySkullgirls
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: dcload stuck on receiving data after send an *.elf [Solv

Post by Newbie »

In the source code of DC load, i think i have seen a sort of "first run" command that force an exception to occur and a dump or register like blue screen of death.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

There is no such thing in the code of dcload to give a blue screen with a register dump on the first run (after all, that would be completely and totally pointless).

If you're getting that screen, it likely means that some packet was either lost or corrupted along the way. Resending the binary likely fills in the missing piece and thus makes it work, hence why you would have success on the second try.

If you're on Wifi, it's a whole lot more likely that you'll have such problems than if you're on a wired connection.
Dormoxx
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Dormoxx »

BlueCrab wrote:If you're getting that screen, it likely means that some packet was either lost or corrupted along the way. Resending the binary likely fills in the missing piece and thus makes it work, hence why you would have success on the second try.
I should have said this earlier, but it only does the blue screen on the first *.elf that I send. Every executable I send after that, the screen doesn't appear.
BlueCrab wrote:If you're on Wifi, it's a whole lot more likely that you'll have such problems than if you're on a wired connection.
Nope. My current network setup is all wired and as follows: PC and Dreamcast->D-Link Router->Cable Router/Modem->Internet
#PlaySkullgirls
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

That's certainly strange... Did you compile dcload and dc-tool yourself? I see that you're using two different versions on the PC side, maybe try using the current Git code on both sides?

Like I said, that screen on program startup usually means that some packet got corrupted or lost on the way. I'm guessing there's something wonky about either Windows or your router that is making it lose the first packet, and thus you get that blue screen of death...

Of course, since it's pretty much working it's probably just as well to deal with having to send the first binary twice...
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Newbie »

I should have said this earlier, but it only does the blue screen on the first *.elf that I send. Every executable I send after that, the screen doesn't appear.
I have the same behavior too :)