DC Evolution Returns With New Releases

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

DC Evolution Returns With New Releases

Post by MetaFox »

DC Evolution, the project dedicated to making CD image releases of the best homebrew Dreamcast games, demos, and apps out there, as well as the best movies, books, and more by pushing the capabilities of the great apps that have been made for the Dreamcast over the years, has finally returned after a three year hiatus.

DC Evolution has had a repository at Sourceforge since 2006, however the project was never moved there until now. The file upload functionality of Sourceforge has returned, so now seemed like the perfect time to bring DC Evolution back after a three year hiatus.

Unfortunately, it seems most of the releases have been lost to time, however a handful have been located and are available once again from DC Evolution's Sourceforge repository. If you have or know of the URL of any more DC Evolution releases that are still missing, please don't hesitate to get in contact (you can PM me here at DCEmulation, or leave a comment in this thread below) so they can be added back to the site.

Of course, just bringing the site back wouldn't be enough, so in celebration of DCEvolution's return, here is a brand new CD image release: Animated Classics - Gulliver's Travels!

Fleischer Studios, later called Famous Studios after being acquired by Paramount, released Gulliver's Travels, one of the world's first cel-animated full length animated feature films in 1939, second only to Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Gulliver's Travels, which is based on Jonathan Swift's 18th century novel of the same name, is now in the public domain. The entire film has been included along with DCDivX by Mark Dukette on one Dreamcast CD image.

Another brand new release has also been uploaded in the form of Soltys!

In 1995, LK Avalon released a humorous adventure game named Soltys. It revolved around the Soltys, or head of the village, of Wachock. He had arranged a marriage for his slothful daughter, but when the marriage began, the groom to be ran away. So, the soltys of Wachock has to find him and bring him back.

It has become a cult classic in Poland over the years since it's release on DOS 20 years ago. However, it never gained fame outside of Poland, as it never received a translation into other languages. Until now...

In 2011, LK Avalon made Soltys freeware and gave ScummVM permission to translate it into English and distribute it for free. This CD image includes the full English translated version and ScummVM, with Dream Inducer powering the menus, in one package.

Also, thanks to the efforts of Shinebi from the Assembler Games forum, many classic DC Evolution compilations have been uploaded to the DC Evolution Sourceforge repository as well.

Thanks so much to Shinebi for keeping and sharing these images, as the re-release of these DC Evolution images wouldn't be possible without those preservation efforts!
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: DC Evolution Returns With New Releases

Post by cube_b3 »

Welcome Back.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

cube_b3 wrote:Welcome Back.
Thanks. It's good to be back. :grin:
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

This is great news! DCEvo has been sorely missed.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I'm happy to see that people still enjoys those.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Baby, life's what you make it
Can't escape it
Baby, yesterday's favourite
Don't you hate it?

(Everything's all right)
Life's what you make it
(Everything's all right)

Don't backdate it
Baby, don't try to shade it
Beauty is naked

(Everything's all right)
Life's what you make it
(Everything's all right)
What you make it

Celebrate it
Anticipate it
Yesterday's faded
Nothing can change it
Life's what you make it

(Everything's all right)
Life's what you make it
(Everything's all right)
Life's what you make it
Across the Universe
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

DDD! WELCOME MAN!! It has been to long.

Your video is blocked in my part of the world. But Welcome back.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

DCDayDreamer wrote:(Everything's all right)
Life's what you make it
So nice to see you Nige :D

- Meta sent me a PM regarding the new DCEvo, did he contact you as well ?
Insane homebrew collector.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Christuserloeser wrote:
DCDayDreamer wrote:(Everything's all right)
Life's what you make it
So nice to see you Nige :D

- Meta sent me a PM regarding the new DCEvo, did he contact you as well ?
Hello Chris

Haven't heard from anyone for some time now, I just dropped by the forum by chance, just wanted to see if the good old DC still had some loving support, spotted the post by Meta and posted the first thing that popped into my head.

If I get the time I'll try and contact Meta in the New Year, if he's serious about re-populating DCEvo I still have everything backed up on a file-by-file basis from the old sites. Re-populating might be a problem though, I didn't grab a final homedir.tar from DCEvo before we went offline in 2012 (which would have made life a lot easier because he could have just extracted the file as a complete snapshot of the site), I do however have the final homedir.tar for the sub-site DCHelp from 2012 (that file weighs in at 32GB so I'll leave it up to you to figure out how large the DCEvo file would have been).

Hope everyone in DC Retroland is enjoying the Holidays and a Happy New Year to all! :grin:
Across the Universe
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I'm working with Meta. She has been back on board DCS for some time now and has basically gone through Web Archive to recover DC Evo. I asked him to pm/email you in our last meeting.

She should have reached out to you already.

We really need DC Evo for Homebrew as that is something DCS (as in me) can handle.