BSOD; lost items

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Shwab
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

BSOD; lost items

Post by Shwab »

Sooo in the middle of playing TTF with my Ramar (I believe while teleporting to ruins) my GC crapped out on me and gave me a black screen that said something along the lines of "An error has occured. Turn the power off and refer to the Nintendo Gamecube instruction booklet for further instructions." My GC is pretty old and I recall this happening before...anyway, when I went to relog on under character select, it showed a message under the character I was using during the crash that said character data has been eliminated because of an abnormal shutdown. That wasn't fun to read...but after a few restarts of GC the messaged disappeared and I was able to reconnect. Unfortunately, any items I did not have equipped that I was carrying were deleted. Luckily I wasn't carrying too much more than consumables other than a Stag Cutlery and a WALS-MK2. Has anyone else had this happen before? Wondering if this means my GC is on its way out. I'm also wondering if there is any way to recover the WALS-MK2 and STAG from the server.

Since this event I have been made aware of the /Save 1 (2 3 or 4) functions by a few players in-game!
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Re: BSOD; lost items

Post by Aleron Ives »

DRE (Disc Read Error) does probably mean that your GC is dying, but PSOGC is not very stable and tends to crash all on its own. The game always deletes you unequipped items if you don't save properly, which means any kind of crash causes you to lose your stuff. This is why most people who play online duplicate all of their important weapons so as to not lose them when the game crashes.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

You will have to rely on other players to gather the items you lost, some players will remake the items you lost just like i do for those that lose the items on PSO v2.
Sadly i do not own a GC and i can't remake the items and give them to you.

It's nice to hear that you will be doing backups from now on.
Shwab
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Shwab »

Thanks guys for the replies! Good information to know...much appreciated.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Shwab wrote:Since this event I have been made aware of the /Save 1 (2 3 or 4) functions by a few players in-game!
/save basically does nothing on the Gamecube version, unfortunately. I say basically, because /save would work fine on Gamecube -- what doesn't work is /restore. Unfortunately, there's no way of doing server-side backups of Gamecube character data and restoring them safely... :cry:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Yes, the /save function is useless on GC; you can't use the server to restore your lost items: you have to make your own backups.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

All you really need to do is ask people online; many people have either an AR, proxy or some other kind of "hackback" method. I personally can back up my memory cards because I use Dolphin, but this would only produce one dupe per few minutes... relatively inefficient. XD

Of course, if you have the more-valuable non-Plus copy of PSO, you can dupe things yourself. :)
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

Capt.Durple (RAmar, high ult lvl)
LaserLemon (HUnewearl, high ult)
Winterleaf (FOmarl, mid ult)
Pocket Tank (HUcaseal, mid ult)
Tin Can Dan (RAcast, mid ult)
Dr. NOPE (FOnewm, mid ult)
OliverLeo (HUmar, low ult)
Firebolt (RAmarl, low ult)
DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
bhd1223
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by bhd1223 »

Just to ask, being I'll be playing the GC version, how exactly would you go about replacing the lost items via a dupe? If it's gone, it's gone. Personally I'm making copies of my memory cards and save files to restore if anything like this happens, but you still lose all progress made on the character that way. For random items like mates and fluids, who cares, but secondary and tertiary weapons would be a big deal. In what way can you keep your progress and return such valuable items that are lost?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You keep the duplicate weapons in your bank. Whenever you crash and lose the unequipped weapons in your inventory, you withdraw another dupe from the bank until you run out of dupes, and then you duplicate all your weapons again. The only disadvantages to this method are that you have to "waste" quite a bit of bank space if you have a lot of weapons, and if your memory card corrupts, it doesn't do you any good.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

I always had an extra memory card for that purpose. It held a character each for my HU, my RA, and my FO weapons. When I duped, I would create at least five at a time of each weapon the character owned, then gave them all to the dupeholder. When FSOD occurred, I'd restore from the dupe holder character. It meant I didn't have to dig out the non-plus disc as often and it also prevented losses from total card corruption.

Of course, none of this is necessary if you have a card backup method, but yeah.
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
bhd1223
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by bhd1223 »

Thanks, makes sense. Need to cya before something happens. Just tested out the duping last night on some worthless weapons. Kind of a pain but seems to work. Yay for the non-Plus edition! Haha. I don't know why anyone would go through that hassle outside of trying to keep from losing stuff. I can't think of a point in the game where you actually NEED more of the same stuff.

Should I assume this is not frowned upon in the "backup" sense but is in the cheating to gain an advantage sense?
Shwab
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Shwab »

Wow, well this is all new information to me...what a pain in the a**!!!!!!!
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

bhd1223 wrote:Should I assume this is not frowned upon in the "backup" sense but is in the cheating to gain an advantage sense?
Define "frowned upon." There are people who play legit and there are people who don't. Both are fine as long as they don't break the game - I can only speak for myself, but if you come in with a 35h Yas9k (which IIRC was a common dupe back in the day) and it's duped, I wouldn't care. I play legit myself, but it's not like a Yas9k ruins game balance (that honor goes to charge vulcans, IMO). If you happen to tell me yours is legit? I don't care. If you're lying to me, it doesn't affect me in any way unless you're trying to trade it to me.

So IMO the rule of thumb is, just be willing to call a spade a spade, and don't deceive anybody (i.e. trading a duped weapon to someone while telling them it's legit, or trading a weapon that you've backed up without also destroying or giving them the backups).

DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

I'm one of the people who uses a proxy, which is a tool for item creation and other such features. I will restore items for people who have lost legit items. If people ask me to restore items that are obviously fake/hacked/illegit, I will not do it for them.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat
Shwab
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Shwab »

Oh hey Kat! It's Schmegy!!! :D. Would you be able to restore my WALS and Stag!? That would be awesome!
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Shwab wrote:Wow, well this is all new information to me...what a pain in the a**!!!!!!!
It's quite amusing that Sega's main anti-duplication measure (deleting your inventory if you don't quit the game) is the main reason that people duplicate items (to prevent the game from stealing the stuff you've found when it crashes). Generally people don't seem to consider this to be cheating, as long as you only use your dupes for personal restoration purposes and don't try to give them to or trade them with other people.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

Shwab wrote:Oh hey Kat! It's Schmegy!!! :D. Would you be able to restore my WALS and Stag!? That would be awesome!
Next time I see you online I'll do it for you.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat
bhd1223
DCEmu Fast Newbie