Ash vs Evil Dead Discussion

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Ash vs Evil Dead Discussion

Post by cube_b3 »

I watched the first two episodes and I am fairly disappointed.

Although I was being stupid for expecting it to be better than it's low budget B movie roots.

The episodes are moving at a fast pace, sometimes a bit to fast. Kind of like ED2: Dead by Dawn as it wanted to quickly remake scenes from the first movie, retcon the ending and move forward. I wanted to wait till the season was finished and just binge it on netflix but the crazy hype sucked me in. After watching episode 2, I can say I would have enjoyed another movie or trilogy instead. The problem with the TV series is the pacing. It has the right amount of action but it will keep on building up to the big showdown for the series finale and I kind of like want to get to that already.

I am giving it a 6/10 which is what the team was probably aiming for in the first place.

On an unrelated note: What is the whole B.S. of staying silent about the events in ED3: Army of Darkness. I mean the entire plot of AOD was explained by Annie Knowby as she translated the Necronomicon for Ash and by the end of the movie, Ash is thrown into the portal and back in time. So if they have ED2, they have the plot of ED3 as well.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Re: Ash vs Evil Dead Discussion

Post by cube_b3 »

What?
No one cares here?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lartrak »

Army of Darkness was made by a different company, and they don't have the rights. So they can't directly reference it.

I thought the pilot was excellent, but nothing has quite lived up to it since. I've enjoyed the show overall though. Episode 6 was definitely an improvement on 3-5... 5 in particular I was kinda meh on. The whole Eligos arc wasn't that great. Great creature design, not great episodes.

Overall, I'd rate it like this:

Pilot 9/10
Episode 2 8/10
Episode 3 6/10
Episode 4 7/10
Episode 5 6/10
Episode 6 8/10

I think a lot of your problems are down to the TV format. They just can't put the time in to a show like this they could to the old films. That's the nature of TV generally really.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I'm aware of Universal owning Army of Darkness but, which is why I said it didn't make sense as the whole plot is foreshadowed in ED2.

Anyway I am over the show, it's not working.
I liked the movies, I used to watch them over and over. The nature of the TV show is just get you amped for the next episode instead of satisfied with what you just watched. It's not a good feeling.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

cube_b3 wrote:I'm aware of Universal owning Army of Darkness but, which is why I said it didn't make sense as the whole plot is foreshadowed in ED2.

Anyway I am over the show, it's not working.
I liked the movies, I used to watch them over and over. The nature of the TV show is just get you amped for the next episode instead of satisfied with what you just watched. It's not a good feeling.
Fair enough.

I'd say keep an eye out for when the second season starts for what people are saying. They've talked about their writing and how they're attempting to take feedback into account. They're also getting very wide creative latitude from Starz, so it could definitely seriously improve structurally (which I think they should try as well - it feels like a hybrid of a serialized show and an episodic show with the location usage, and I think going for a straight serial would be better).

Edit: Also, I'm going to hazard a guess and say they avoid any of the medieval stuff both to simplify storytelling and avoid even a remote possibility of legal interference from Universal. Universal could claim that any reference to the medieval stuff would cause market confusion with their property of Army of Darkness. I mean, the USA is a place where a man was sued for sounding too much like himself. He won, but it still cost him money. Renaissance Pictures/Starz would win a legal action like that, but it'd still cost them money.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

The show has won the critics it has a crazy high rating at Rotten Tomatoes so my complaints of the story telling is not something being echoed by the main stream media.

Though I suspect they might just give in and make the next season full hour long episodes than half hour ones. As it really feels like an hour long episode being sliced in half, every week. Especially since each director helms two episodes.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I saw Army of Darkness when it was first released on VHS back in the day and then later on went to watch ED1 and 2. I've been a fan of both Bruce and the ED movies for many years. I thought the show was great. They did what they could with the budget of a TV show. Not to mention Sam Raimi only directed the pilot, so what more do you want?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800