PSO Questions & Answers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: PSO Questions & Answers

Post by BlueCrab »

I suppose it is possible there is something wrong with the ethernet cable itself. If you have another one, I'd try using it instead of the one you've been using. It can't hurt to rule out one more potential issue.
S N K
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by S N K »

BlueCrab wrote:I suppose it is possible there is something wrong with the ethernet cable itself. If you have another one, I'd try using it instead of the one you've been using. It can't hurt to rule out one more potential issue.
I'll give that a shot and let you know. Thanks for the tips on this.
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

Yeah my guess is the cable then. IIRC those lights come on if it detects anything live on the other end, even if it doesn't actually have a connection. But may depend on modem model as far as I know.

What are your chars btw? Just in case I see you ingame.
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

Capt.Durple (RAmar, high ult lvl)
LaserLemon (HUnewearl, high ult)
Winterleaf (FOmarl, mid ult)
Pocket Tank (HUcaseal, mid ult)
Tin Can Dan (RAcast, mid ult)
Dr. NOPE (FOnewm, mid ult)
OliverLeo (HUmar, low ult)
Firebolt (RAmarl, low ult)
DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
S N K
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by S N K »

Sir Rappington wrote:Yeah my guess is the cable then. IIRC those lights come on if it detects anything live on the other end, even if it doesn't actually have a connection. But may depend on modem model as far as I know.

What are your chars btw? Just in case I see you ingame.
Just the one being S N K. It's the name I originally had years ago on PSO when it was Sega's Servers.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Sir Rappington wrote:Probably unrelated: I usually fail on my first connection attempt before getting the lobby flyover screen, can't remember what error number. Second attempt always succeeds. I'm guessing this is more a quirk of the Dolphin emulator that I use, though.
I always have to wait on the "Connecting to the DNS server" screen for a long time (even if I run the DNS on the same PC), but I don't get any connection errors.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
tueidj
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tueidj »

S N K wrote:Well what it is when I connect the cable directly from the BB Adapter to the DSL, The Ethernet doesn't even light up. I figured it might have been the cable at 1st but I connected the router to the modem and then from that I ran it to the BB Adapter and the Ethernet Light came up so the cable seems fine. I'm scratching my head here at this.
Sounds like it's a crossover cable and neither the modem nor BBA has auto port configuration.
S N K
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by S N K »

tueidj wrote:
S N K wrote:Well what it is when I connect the cable directly from the BB Adapter to the DSL, The Ethernet doesn't even light up. I figured it might have been the cable at 1st but I connected the router to the modem and then from that I ran it to the BB Adapter and the Ethernet Light came up so the cable seems fine. I'm scratching my head here at this.
Sounds like it's a crossover cable and neither the modem nor BBA has auto port configuration.
Well when this hub arrives I'll give that a shot. If that doesn't work I guess it was never meant to be.
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

S N K wrote:Well when this hub arrives I'll give that a shot. If that doesn't work I guess it was never meant to be.
...just to be sure here, did you try using another cable yet? It may well be the problem from what you've posted here, and if it works maybe you can return the hub. Because unless my memory of network hardware is failing me here, then your router already performs every function that hub does and then some. :-/
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Sir Rappington wrote:
S N K wrote:Well when this hub arrives I'll give that a shot. If that doesn't work I guess it was never meant to be.
...just to be sure here, did you try using another cable yet? It may well be the problem from what you've posted here, and if it works maybe you can return the hub. Because unless my memory of network hardware is failing me here, then your router already performs every function that hub does and then some. :-/
Pretty much exactly this, hence my statement earlier about finding it unlikely that a hub would solve the problem. Routers have switches built in. Switches do everything hubs do, plus give you an increase in bandwidth across the switch (because hubs pretty much just connect all the ethernet ports together, whereas switches only connect them as needed -- so hubs send your packets to every computer on the network whereas switches only send them where needed).
Chocotricks
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Chocotricks »

Hey Guys, first time poster and I was looking to get into some online, but I honestly still have yet to get the game. Does it matter if I have the Plus edition or not?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Chocotricks wrote:Hey Guys, first time poster and I was looking to get into some online, but I honestly still have yet to get the game. Does it matter if I have the Plus edition or not?
Gamecube wise, no the Plus version doesn't really get you anything of that much importance. The offline quests (which are all downloadable from the server now) are a part of PSO Plus already, but that's about the only real (noticeable) difference.
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

BlueCrab wrote:Gamecube wise, no the Plus version doesn't really get you anything of that much importance. The offline quests (which are all downloadable from the server now) are a part of PSO Plus already, but that's about the only real (noticeable) difference.
When I'm standing still in the middle of six Belras and not getting hit unless I move, I'm inclined to disagree with you. :P

Beyond that, no, nothing else important (unless you're really OCD about Secure Feet not having the right name color).

DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
Chocotricks
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Chocotricks »

Sir Rappington wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:Gamecube wise, no the Plus version doesn't really get you anything of that much importance. The offline quests (which are all downloadable from the server now) are a part of PSO Plus already, but that's about the only real (noticeable) difference.
When I'm standing still in the middle of six Belras and not getting hit unless I move, I'm inclined to disagree with you. :P

Beyond that, no, nothing else important (unless you're really OCD about Secure Feet not having the right name color).

Do you mean the game is buggy?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Yes, the original release has more bugs, but some of them are useful, while others are annoying.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

Chocotricks wrote:Do you mean the game is buggy?
Well specifically (if this wasn't obvious), there's a big difference when fighting Belras in Plus. Stand still in front of an Indi Belra, and it'll fire endlessly and never hit you unless you move. In non-Plus, you get hit anyway. Given that this was deliberately changed for Plus, I'm guessing ST thought getting hit this way was a bug (or otherwise unintended behavior).

DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Yes, non-plus is bugged. You're able to stand still in front of Indi Belra in JPv2, USv2, EUv2, PSO PC, GC PAL, GC JP+, GC US+, USBB, and JPBB. GC US non-plus (and JP non-plus?) is the only one where you can get hit when standing still, so it's one of the game's many bugs. All other releases before and after the initial GC release work correctly.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
tueidj
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tueidj »

There are actually two GC US non-plus releases (1.00 and 1.01), not sure what the differences are between them.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I know that there are two JP non-plus releases, as the 1.01 release was supposed to fix some sort of networking bug. I haven't found any evidence of there being two US discs, though, as I can't find any secondary US ISO checksums or any explanations as to what the re-release would have been for. It would make sense that if the JP 1.01 disc fixed a network bug that the US 1.0 release would have been based off of it and thus a US re-release wouldn't have been necessary. Then again, redump.org's checksum database is hardly complete.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
doctor_oran
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by doctor_oran »

tueidj wrote:There are actually two GC US non-plus releases (1.0 and 1.1), not sure what the differences are between them.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64864

Looks like bugfixes, different codes for AR, and not much else. But yeah there's 1.0 and 1.1 US versions for PSO GC. 1.0 is probably tough to find since it got replaced early on by 1.1. I've gamed with someone on scht who said they had 1.0 (Cody).
Miss Mattie - RAcaseal 200 (1/3/15)
Korneleus - HUcast 199
Violette - RAmarl 196
Chester - HUmar 167
Berri - FOmarl 167
Juggernut - RAcast 167
Gerard - FOnewm 167
Cosine - HUcaseal 151
Peony - FOnewearl 132
Itai - HUnewearl low
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Thanks for the link. It appears that it was the US 1.01 disc that was released to fix a netoworking bug and not the JP version. I wonder what kind of duping bug JP 1.0 has, though. Perhaps it's like JPv1 and allows you to drop all your items and power off to clone your equipment. :lol:
"Fear the HUnewearl."