Opinions on the Everdrives?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Opinions on the Everdrives?

Post by melancholy »

Can you do that with GBA carts? Specifically to make a Mother 3 translated cart?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

melancholy wrote:Can you do that with GBA carts? Specifically to make a Mother 3 translated cart?
There's a wealth of GBA flash cartridges out there that are perfect for homebrews and translation patches. That would be a much more cost-effective investment than a custom cart.

The reason it's necessary for Star Fox 2 is because the game relies on an onboard Super FX chip, which none of the available flash carts can emulate.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:Buy a copy of Stunt Race FX (for yourself, I already have one) and have it shipped to my address, and Paypal me $30 (marked as a gift, so you pay fees instead of me) to cover the costs of a few EPROMs, lunch for that afternoon, and the shipping costs for me to get it back to you, and I'll ship you a copy of Star Fox 2 in a cartridge that looks like it's Stunt Race FX. You can remove the label and design/create your own label however you see fit yourself. How's that sound?
Sounds reasonable. PM me your address and PayPal info, and I'll set the wheels in motion next weekend.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

These things are pretty cool. I didnt know they existed. is tototek.com the company that makes them, or another company, or multiple companies?
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
melancholy wrote:Can you do that with GBA carts? Specifically to make a Mother 3 translated cart?
There's a wealth of GBA flash cartridges out there that are perfect for homebrews and translation patches. That would be a much more cost-effective investment than a custom cart.

The reason it's necessary for Star Fox 2 is because the game relies on an onboard Super FX chip, which none of the available flash carts can emulate.
I realize that, and I even have one. I still want a custom cart for Mother 3, though. It's more special than the average GBA game.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It's definitely possible (there are Mother 3 English repros that are sold online), but off of the top of my head I don't know what's required. I'll look into it, but I know for sure that if my programmer will program the chips, at the very least they won't fit and I'd have to get an adapter board to do it.
I.M. Weasel wrote:These things are pretty cool. I didnt know they existed. is tototek.com the company that makes them, or another company, or multiple companies?
No. They are designed and manufactured by a solo amateur Ukrainian developer named KRIKzz.
It's thinking...
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

so is tototek the best place to get them from?

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

http://shop.retrogate.com

I didn't know tototek was selling them.

Retrogate is an approved vendor, I would only buy through approve vendors as the Chinese have already started created clone versions of the Everdrive-N8 that have some issues.
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:
It's definitely possible (there are Mother 3 English repros that are sold online), but off of the top of my head I don't know what's required. I'll look into it, but I know for sure that if my programmer will program the chips, at the very least they won't fit and I'd have to get an adapter board to do it.
Okay, that's cool. Looking on EBay, the price for a premade one isn't that bad at all. I'll just go that route someday.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I'd never seen Rose Colored Gaming before. I'm amazed they haven't seen any legal issues - they seem awfully high profile. Most of the reproduction sites are basically 1 guy working part in his basement. I guess it's such a small market it isn't worth the effort anymore?

On another note, I wish more of them could do what RetroUSB does - they use newly manufactured parts. I have mixed feelings about cannibalized games.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Lartrak wrote:I'd never seen Rose Colored Gaming before. I'm amazed they haven't seen any legal issues - they seem awfully high profile. Most of the reproduction sites are basically 1 guy working part in his basement. I guess it's such a small market it isn't worth the effort anymore?

On another note, I wish more of them could do what RetroUSB does - they use newly manufactured parts. I have mixed feelings about cannibalized games.
Exactly how I feel.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I generally don't mind people who cannibalize extremely common parts/games for personal projects (like how I'm making Star Fox 2, for example), but to sell to others or make a product on a mass scale, I have big concerns.
It's thinking...
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

If they can cannibalize sports games like NBA 2k on dreamcast thats fine. Or some over-produced sports games is fine.

But a bad example is Buster Douglas Knockout boxing on SMS...the game is fucking $300...

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
|darc| wrote:Buy a copy of Stunt Race FX (for yourself, I already have one) and have it shipped to my address, and Paypal me $30 (marked as a gift, so you pay fees instead of me) to cover the costs of a few EPROMs, lunch for that afternoon, and the shipping costs for me to get it back to you, and I'll ship you a copy of Star Fox 2 in a cartridge that looks like it's Stunt Race FX. You can remove the label and design/create your own label however you see fit yourself. How's that sound?
Sounds reasonable. PM me your address and PayPal info, and I'll set the wheels in motion next weekend.
Are you still interested in doing this? I finally got around to converting my Stunt Race FX cartridge last night and it works great. I bought extra EPROMs so I can do yours too if you still want to do it.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Sure!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Sure!
Well, when you're ready go ahead and Paypal me the $30 and send me a Stunt Race FX cart. The info is still the same as the PM I sent you before. :)
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Got it. I'll take care of Stunt Race on my break tomorrow and send payment once the cartridge is secured.