eBay Asshole

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

eBay Asshole

Post by cube_b3 »

So I am slowly selling my games on eBay.
It is pretty tedious mailing games to different addresses and going to the post office but it is part of what I have signed up for.

I sold Just Cause 2 last week for 6$.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Just-Cause-2-So ... 7675.l2557

This person sends me this mail after receiving the game:
If that game is like new I'd hate to see what used looks like
I respond:
I am glad you finally received the game.

I take pride in how I keep my games, the discs always run flawlessly and the cases never have dents or sun damage.

That said, If you are dissatisfied please mail the game back and I will reimburse you the 6$.

Thank you
He responds:
Case was extremely dirty cover art damaged. Refund me or ill leave neg feed back. Im not paying return shipping. For an inaccurately discribed item
I have not responded to him yet, but I drafted a response:
Hello,

A picture was provided to all bidders, you should have looked at it before bidding. Further more, the auction page clearly states seller does not do returns.
That said, send me the game back you can have your 6$.
Please note, I can also leave negative feedback.

Thank You.
All this crap for 6$, seriously?
I don't know what damage he is talking about, I guess the game case could have benefited from being wiped by a wet cloth but if it was really dirty, I would have cleaned it before listing the item.

It looks like he is just trying to pocket a free game.

What do you advise.
Specially Cork

Re: eBay Asshole

Post by Specially Cork »

Sounds like a bit of an asshole, but you'll probably have to suck it up, provide a return shipping label and let them return it to you for a refund.

If you don't, you'll get negative feedback, probably not get your game back AND still have to refund.

This is eBay. And they pretty much always support the buyer. This part is meaningless:
cube_b3 wrote:Further more, the auction page clearly states seller does not do returns.
...because eBay's Money Back Guarantee cancels it out. If he moans you won't refund or pay for return shipping, eBay will refund him the $6 themselves, then bill you for it. He can still leave negative feedback, and he won't need to return the game either.

Brilliant eh? :roll:

You could appeal it all of course, but good luck with that.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

Yeah, if he's unhappy, you'll just have to suck it up and do the refund. It sucks, but the negative feedback and the loss of a $6 game is worse than the $2 you are going to lose on return shipping.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

How do we do the return shipping label thing?

This just feels weird, I am not some corporation. I sold a game from my personal collection and I provided a picture.

I don't know if the cover was damaged in shipping, how the fuck is a cover even damaged. It can tear but what is damaged cover?
In either case he didn't buy shipping insurance so if the product is damaged by USPS who is responsible.

I feel like fighting this, I get negative feedback. He gets negative feedback. Should be a stale mate.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:How do we do the return shipping label thing?
I'm not sure in the US. Sorry.
cube_b3 wrote:This just feels weird, I am not some corporation. I sold a game from my personal collection and I provided a picture.
Yeah. It sucks, but you're expected to meet the same "customer is always right" expectation that a multi-billion dollar corporation would.
cube_b3 wrote:I feel like fighting this, I get negative feedback. He gets negative feedback. Should be a stale mate.
Nope. I guess you haven't used eBay in a while? Sellers can't leave negative or neutral feedback at all now. Ever. You can only leave positive feedback or no feedback at all.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Son of a bitch.

I've sold 5 games so far, got positive feedback on two waiting on the other two.
So so far, he seems like the only ass.

I guess I can't fight this...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Yeah, it's really a crappy platform for sellers because everything is about buyer protection.

Imagine this: If I bought a $1000 Macbook off you and claimed the box was just full of rocks, what would you have at your disposal to protect yourself from my lies? eBay policies are clear: sellers are guilty until proven innocent.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Well I guess I'll ignore him altogether.

Update: He just left me positive feedback with the comment "inaccurate description".
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Yeah it is ridiculous ebay is basically an online flea market/yard sale yet people act like they are buying from Amazon or something. I haven't had too much trouble with selling lately, the closest problem I had was when I sold a flight yoke and pedals for around $130. They worked perfectly and was in like new condition. The guy sends me an email and says they work fine but they smell like smoke horribly like I got them from a fire sale. It was during the winter time and we do heat with a wood burning stove and I know while I can't smell it other people can. I know the smell can get into clothes and fabrics, but a plastic item? He said it was so bad he couldn't even stand to be in the same room with it and he would give it a little time for the smell to go away but if it didn't we would "need to talk" I told him to put them in a garbage bag with some dryer sheets and that should take care of any smokey smell (I still don't see how an item like that could absorb the smell so much) He said he was going away for a week and would try the bag and dryer sheets. He said when he got back that the smell was mostly gone but was still there but he decided to keep the item.

I don't think he was lying but I just don't get it. Like I said if it was a blanket or something then yes I could totally understand, but a plastic flight yoke? And even if it did somehow have a smoky smell if you put it in a bag with dryer sheets for a week there is no way any smoky smell would exist.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Well, I think part of that has to do with the way that eBay advertises. A lot of their advertising strongly implies that you're just buying from a store instead of from a virtual flea market. And then on the other end of it, they force sellers to eat costs from unhappy buyers just like you would expect a retailer to go out of their way to satisfy an upset customer. In a lot of ways, they have shifted it from being an online marketplace to just a storefront for a lot of businesses.

Regarding your specific transaction, I can see your side of it but I can see his side of it as well. I really don't like the "Like New" option being selectable as a condition. To me, "Like New" should imply that the item is not boxed and packaged, but looks, feels, and performs as if it were unpackaged recently. If it doesn't look, feel, and perform in that way, then why wouldn't a seller just choose "Used" as the condition? But plenty of people sell shit as "Like New" that is definitely not like new.

One example is trying to purchase an NES a few years ago. I lost the NES I owned as a kid in Hurricane Katrina, so I decided I wanted to buy an NES and RGB-mod it. The only RGB mods back then for the NES cost a lot of money to do, so if I were going to invest that kind of money into it I wanted to do it to a really perfect condition NES. Obviously you can't purchase a brand new NES without spending a ungodly amount of money, so I looked around for an NES in "Like New" condition and so many "Like New" listings had NES consoles with serious ugly yellowing, huge visible gashes, large scuffs, etc. I understand completely that it's going to be rare for such an old console to be in perfect condition, but that's no reason to have an entire marketplace of dishonesty.

I ended up buying from a guy who had an online storefront on eBay who claims he refurbishes NES consoles and only sells them in the best condition and visually inspects them internally and externally before shipping. I bought an NES and several accessories from him, but when I got it in the mail, I freaked out the second I saw the box he shipped it in because I didn't think it was large enough to even contain all the stuff I bought. When I opened it up, sure enough, everything was stuffed in the box with little padding and some sides of the NES were against the cardboard and got cracked in shipping. The AV connectors had rust on them and when I opened the console up to at least see if the internals were good, there were bugs and bug guts all up in there. I connected it up and it all worked fine, but I emailed him and told him that the packaging was poor and asked very politely if just the NES console could be exchanged for one in excellent condition.

He basically responded and told me he packages everything perfectly and accused me of trying to scam him by sending him back a busted broken NES and keeping his good one. I was so fucking pissed off, but he included his business card so I figured he probably does get actual scammers, so I would call him up and maybe if we discussed this over the telephone he'd be more inclined to believe the reality of what happened. He must have looked up my telephone number and prepared for me calling because the second he answered the phone, before I even said who I was, he launched into a firestorm of cursing me out and accusing me of a bunch of bullshit. I kept trying to explain to him that the NES he sent me worked fine so I wasn't going to be sending him a broken NES or anything, but he was having none of it.

I ended up having to contact eBay/Paypal and they basically said just box everything you bought from him up and send it back and they'll reverse the charges when the tracking number indicates he's received it back, but I was still on the hook for the shipping fees on that transaction.

So I guess it's because of shit like that that eBay is so tilted towards the buyer.
It's thinking...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

You know I'm guilty of beeing an asshole too.

In my new American days when I didn't know better. I was extremely belligerent about shipping timings. Ideally I wanted my product shipped hours after I won it. I screwed this one guy with negative feedback for shipping the product 48 hours after payment.

He was dude wtf is wrong with you?
In hindsight, I was stupid and I did apologize to him.

I remember this one time I ordered a 360 controller and the guy didn't ship it for a week. I messaged him and was like wtf? He was like, sorry I have been traveling due to business. Will ship it Monday. I was like thanks for informing me, but you are getting negative feedback, this is bull shit.

He sent me 2 brand new 360 controllers!

I obviously gave him positive feedback and thanked him profusely.

Lastly, I would think several times before listing anything like new again.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

I also like people to ship stuff right away, but I won't give negative feedback for slow shipping because I know how it is. Things happen and you might not be able to ship it right away. The most recent time a seller kind of pissed me off was when I bought my R9 290X video card off ebay. I believe it ended at $260 and I had a $20 off coupon I won from this wheel of fortune type thing ebay had. I ended up buying it off the guy I did because he seemed pretty legit and had tons of feedback. He had several 290Xs listed and they all stated they would be shipped 2-3 day priority which is pretty much the standard on ebay. So when he ships it I see the tracking number is for UPS, I figure thats fine it might get here even quicker than priority. When I look up the tracking I see he shipped it the slowest possible way he could and it would take a week for delivery. So I email him and ask what was up, why he advertised 2-3 day and then shipped it UPS. If he had a valid reason for it I probably wouldn't have minded much but his response was "The item weighed more than I thought so I had to send it UPS" Obviously that is a lie, a video card in box is not heavy or oversized at all. So I message him back and tell him that and that I've sent many things larger and heavier via priority. Then he tells me he listed it very quickly and made a mistake in the listing. So I end up telling him that it isn't right to advertise 2-3 day and then ship it a way that takes 7 days+ and that we need to work something out to fix the situation. He tells me that he is selling the cards for less than he paid for them blah blah blah. I eventually told him that I might be forced to leave negative feedback. He messages me and says please don't leave negative feedback and asks what I want him to do. Do I want something from his store or a refund on shipping, I tell him a refund would be nice but I will leave the amount up to him. I would have been satisfied with a $10 refund. In the end he messages me and asks if a $50 refund would be satisfactory. I say that would be fine :lol:

So I ended up leaving positive feedback and getting a like new in the box Sapphire R9 290X for $190.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

The stuff we do to avoid negative feedback :P
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....
Been thanked: 0

Post by Matisfaction »

ebay tends to side with the buyer more than the seller, for the neg feedback it's probs best to just refund the guy than argue over $6.00. It's a pain but you can always relist it.
Last edited by Matisfaction on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

He surprisingly gave me a positive feedback though he did write not as listed.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

There was a guy who actually opened a case against me because the item was sent out on a wednesday and didn't arrive before the weekend.
I contacted him and suggested that he could have at least waited until Saturday and then how about messaging me first? He said not to take it personally, anyway the item arrived on the Saturday, fancy that... :roll:
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Hope he redacted.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Well the item arrived like the day after he opened the case, so he didn't have a choice really.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I sell tons of stuff on eBay. I usually take multiple pictures of the case and the disc with the sale. I clearly state no refunds or returns. Will state something like "item as pictured. Item is priced fairly and works well with no refunds or returns accepted. " That usually saves me.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

I do the same thing, multiple good quality pics, detailed description, games are tested before listing, no refunds or reurns as you know exactly what youre buying.