Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by melancholy »

Final Fantasy Type 0 (PS4) - this game does not belong on the PS4 at all. It's a HD remake, but only partially, as there are ugly textures and low poly objects everywhere. It's a PSP game that should have just been ported to the Vita instead. Or the PS3 at a $40 price. I have yet to see anything in this HD version that could not have run on the PS3. I'm sure it will shape up to be a great game itself, but it looks like they only put it on a next gen system just to justify charging $60.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Why are you buying video games when you have all those children to look after?
It's thinking...
lazareth
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
Been thanked: 0

Post by lazareth »

|darc| wrote:Why are you buying video games when you have all those children to look after?
lol'ed

But seriously... he has a PS4, he's probably OK on money. I'm not okay on money, so I don't have anything newer than a Wii.

On topic:
Bought E.T. for Atari 2600 for $3 because of its significance to the history of gaming. Still worst game of all time, gave up after 20 minutes.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

lazareth wrote:Bought E.T. for Atari 2600 for $3 because of its significance to the history of gaming. Still worst game of all time, gave up after 20 minutes.
Think that all changed when the App Store launched. Spend a few minutes in the darkest corners of that place and you'll find some absolute toss.
lazareth
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by lazareth »

Specially Cork wrote: Spend a few minutes in the darkest corners of that place and you'll find some absolute toss.
I don't consider tosspot apps original games. They are all built off of the idea of something else, even angry birds. When I refer to a game as being best/worst of anything, it has to be an original, not a copycat, ripoff, or spinoff of an older game. (Exceptions can be applied when referring to best/worst re-make/spinoff)
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

E. T. is pretty bad, but there are quite a few Atari games as bad or worse. Ones that are incoherent. I can't think of any offhand as they are so forgettable.

Oh, and I have received bunch more NES games. Probably the most notable is Ninja Gaiden 3. It was under $40, and that's a good deal these days - can hit $60 loose on eBay.

I am also thinking about making some storage cases with double wide DVD cases and Cover Project prints. Anyone try this?
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Final Fantasy Record Keeper - iPhone

There we are. Who said Freemium is always bollocks? They've absolutely nailed it. Pick-up-and-play ATB system battles where you work through the key moments of all the Final Fantasy games. Sam enemies, bosses, music etc. albeit presented in a faux 16-bit style. Brilliant fanservice.

There's the usual freemium trappings: stamina bar, multiple currencies etc. but it's pretty generous by mobile standards. Feels more pay-to-cheat than pay-to-win.

Obviously not going to be GOTY or anything but I've got a few hours out of it already without paying a single cent.
ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by ccb_v2 »

ESO: Tamriel Unlimited. :o
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

My wife and I split a copy of Pillars of Eternity through GOG, so that's the newest time sink.

I also plunked down the cash for the Humble Indie Bundle 14.

Also got the Mac version of BioShock (the original) through a weekend sale. We already had it on PS3, but Rapture in 5k is something that must be seen to be believed :o
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Just pre-ordered Splatoon with the 3 Amiibos.
That'll be 9 Amiibos I own then.

31 years old.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

|darc| wrote:Why are you buying video games when you have all those children to look after?
The more serious question is why do I buy new games when I end up just playing old games anyway. I bought Type 0 and Assassin's Creed Unity in the last few weeks, yet they are just sitting there as I play Final Fantasy VII, Half-Life 2 and Yoshi's Island again.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

not just souLLy now wrote:Just pre-ordered Splatoon with the 3 Amiibos.
That'll be 9 Amiibos I own then.

31 years old.
I own 17, with 7 more on preorder.

And I built a custom shelf to display them on.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Preordered another 3. This is tearing my family apart.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

You're the reason little Timmy's Christmas hopes were crushed, destroying his belief in both Santa and happiness.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

melancholy wrote:
The more serious question is why do I buy new games when I end up just playing old games anyway. I bought Type 0 and Assassin's Creed Unity in the last few weeks, yet they are just sitting there as I play Final Fantasy VII, Half-Life 2 and Yoshi's Island again.
...yeah. I do play my new games, especially PC, but I think I'm putting more time into my old stuff. I just got Felix the Cat for NES, and beat it. Pretty excellent platformer.

Oh, and a couple days ago I got Kickmaster for NES. Which is both kind of hilarious and awesome. It's a shame the price has gotten so high - it used to be like a $10 game, now it's $60ish.

Look at the cover art:

Deserves to be better known.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

Yes it does. I remember being impressed by the progression with all the kicks you unlocked.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

GOG Indie Platformers bundle: http://www.gog.com/promo/bundle_tower_i ... ers_140415

That's Dust, Spelunky, and the two Trine games. (Oddly enough, Trine 1 is listed as Windows-only on the site, but in the account it offers a Mac download. I'll have to get a Wineskin wrapper for Spelunky, though.)

...I also found a 107-key IBM Model F keyboard. Best keyboard ever made. IBM's beautiful buckling springs, capacitive keyswitches with n-key rollover (unlike the Model Ms), and (unlike the other Model F variants) a layout that pretty closely resembles the ANSI standard. Built like a goddamn tank with an all-steel enclosure. I'll need to do some work before it's ready to use (repaint it, replace the foam padding, upgrade it with an Xwhatsit USB controller, replace/remap some of the keys), but I am stupidly excited about this thing.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I bought GTA V for PC. I've now owned every single graphical generation of this game (360, PS4 and now PC). On the plus side I only had to pay for it once because the trade-in credit of each purchase paid for the preorder of the next version up. Bad thing is now I have to watch the first 5 hours of story again for a third time.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Super Paper Mario Wii - £5.99

Spotted it in Cash Convertors of all places, surprisingly in excellent condition, even had an unused club Nintendo points card inside.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Here it is! The IBM Model F: arguably the greatest keyboard ever made. Capacitive PCB keyswitches, buckling springs, solid steel construction, the precursor to the modern ANSI layout.

...er, some assembly required :lol: