Customizing Dreamcast music

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
haduken111
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Customizing Dreamcast music

Post by haduken111 »

I'm not 100% sure this is allowed on dcemu, but i think it should be, anyway

I'm sure many of you have heard about dreamcast backups (mainly MVC2 and CVS2) with custimized music. Does anyone have any idea how the flank you do that, or where you can find out? I'm really tired of CVS2 and MVC2's original music, and I'm sure many others are. So if someone could help me out that would be umm... appreciated
thanx
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Re: Customizing Dreamcast music

Post by Synlor »

haduken111 wrote:I'm not 100% sure this is allowed on dcemu, but i think it should be, anyway

I'm sure many of you have heard about dreamcast backups (mainly MVC2 and CVS2) with custimized music. Does anyone have any idea how the flank you do that, or where you can find out? I'm really tired of CVS2 and MVC2's original music, and I'm sure many others are. So if someone could help me out that would be umm... appreciated
thanx
this isn't allowed on dcemu and it shouldn't be. the reason it isn't is because it means doing something illegal. dreamcast backups are illegal because they aren't on the same type of disc. so even if you own the real game, it would still be illegal. this topic will be closed
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
haduken111
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by haduken111 »

cripe
:D :) :( :o :x :lol: 8) :? :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :!: :wink: :roll: :twisted: :?: :idea: :|
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

corta2863 wrote: this isn't allowed on dcemu and it shouldn't be. the reason it isn't is because it means doing something illegal. dreamcast backups are illegal because they aren't on the same type of disc. so even if you own the real game, it would still be illegal. this topic will be closed
I'm not sure where everyone gets that same media idea from but it's garbage. The fair use clause has always allowed for things like tape to cd, harddrive to tape disk, and many others. Heck, why not claim a pressed cd is structurally different than a cd-r? The fact is the backup would be legal, right up until he breaks his license agreement by modifying the software to play different music.
haduken111
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by haduken111 »

[quote="Wasgo"][quote="corta2863"]
I'm not sure where everyone gets that same media idea from but it's garbage. The fair use clause has always allowed for things like tape to cd, harddrive to tape disk, and many others. Heck, why not claim a pressed cd is structurally different than a cd-r? The fact is the backup would be legal, right up until he breaks his license agreement by modifying the software to play different music.[/quote]

Well said :wink: The question isn't about backups even just about modifying a back up. I dont wanna know how to copy games or anything, just how to modify a few sound files.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

I can't tell you how to rip or burn DC games but i can tell you how to convert files into adx..
Convert mp3s into wavs with mp32wav (or a similar app).. Convert your wavs into adx with ADXEncode.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

Wasgo wrote:
corta2863 wrote: this isn't allowed on dcemu and it shouldn't be. the reason it isn't is because it means doing something illegal. dreamcast backups are illegal because they aren't on the same type of disc. so even if you own the real game, it would still be illegal. this topic will be closed
I'm not sure where everyone gets that same media idea from but it's garbage. The fair use clause has always allowed for things like tape to cd, harddrive to tape disk, and many others. Heck, why not claim a pressed cd is structurally different than a cd-r? The fact is the backup would be legal, right up until he breaks his license agreement by modifying the software to play different music.
thats how it is here in the US. i've seen many TV shows about this subject. America has some wierd laws for these kind of things, like i believe(i'm not sure though) that cartridge backups onto any media is legal, but not dvd to cd media type things.

even if your what your saying is true(which i'm 90% sure it isn't in the US) the backup would still be illegal because most backups require downsampling audio/video, meaning you modified the original game, which is definintly illegal
dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuler »

ZacMc wrote:I can't tell you how to rip or burn DC games but i can tell you how to convert files into adx..
Convert mp3s into wavs with mp32wav (or a similar app).. Convert your wavs into adx with ADXEncode.
Thanks for the tip 8)
I can't wait to see Jet Grind Radio with my custom music , and Tony Hawk 2 with custom music !!!!!
Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride
Stopping time with hatred
emuxer001
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by emuxer001 »

This topic should be moved.
Should it be closed? I'm not quite sure, he is dealing with WAREZ but he is not hosting, selling or requesting them. Let's see what the MOD's do.
Wasgo
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Wasgo »

corta2863 wrote: thats how it is here in the US. i've seen many TV shows about this subject. America has some wierd laws for these kind of things, like i believe(i'm not sure though) that cartridge backups onto any media is legal, but not dvd to cd media type things.

even if your what your saying is true(which i'm 90% sure it isn't in the US) the backup would still be illegal because most backups require downsampling audio/video, meaning you modified the original game, which is definintly illegal
Well, I'm pretty sure from what I've read directly out of the copyright act, as well as the court cases that defined the area, gd-rom to cd-rom would be fine since a gd-rom isn't really a new format, it's just a modified version.

As to downsampling, it would violate the license agreement, making it void, and any further use of the software would be piracy. However, those license agreements don't always hold up in court, so it would really depend on how the particular judge assigned to the case covers the fair use clause. American law is set by example in terms of 'fair use'. Heck, it's even debated whether or not fair use is a right or a legal defense.
Cooltown
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Cooltown »

Not all games use adx files as music and some have them set up in a odd way(jet grind radio is one of the them).Crazy taxi is the only one thats been known to have music that can be changed but i'm sure there's more out there and there's probably music hidden inside single larger files,as some of the psx games used to have..replacing them with your own music would be another matter entirely however.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

Cooltown wrote: Crazy taxi is the only one thats been known to have music that can be changed but i'm sure there's more out there..
I'm 100% sure that you can change the music in THPS2 :wink:
NeonGenesis
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by NeonGenesis »

Yeah, THPS2 does use ADX for it's audio. As far as what the Playstation did, compressing all of it's resources into a giant CDXA file, it was still possible to extract and view the resources, like stuff in Final Fantasy VIII, which would lead me to believe that there would be a way to modify music or other resources in DC games that use a similar method as that.
dcemuler
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dcemuler »

i was trying to modify some musics and I sucessfully could change mr.driller music

It uses cda sound tracks , i think some other dc games uses cda sound tracks , about all saturn games uses cda tracks and some psx games too.

I know this might sound like illegal in us , but it is 100 % legal in my country , and i know not only my country , but a whole lot more countries.
Seeking only strenght
Couldness that could burn a person
Throwing away pride
Stopping time with hatred
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

dcemuler wrote:i was trying to modify some musics and I sucessfully could change mr.driller music

It uses cda sound tracks , i think some other dc games uses cda sound tracks , about all saturn games uses cda tracks and some psx games too.

I know this might sound like illegal in us , but it is 100 % legal in my country , and i know not only my country , but a whole lot more countries.

it violates the license agreement to change it! it is illegal in the US. once i'm modded to this forum, this topic will die
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

now to test out my modding abilites on this forum:

TOPIC CLOSED

yep, it worked.

this falls into the backup catagory, which we are not allowed to discuss here, and it is illegal to do this, even if backups are legal.