Let's have an iPhone 6 Discussion

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Let's have an iPhone 6 Discussion

Post by cube_b3 »

Big whoop?

Nothing new Xperia is already supposed to be resistant to everything.

My brother loves to demonstrate his phones durability by dropping it on the floor and then dipping it in a jug full of water.

GIVE ME INNOVATION!
Wagh
Wagh
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wagh »

Seems the day is approaching. It'll be interesting to see what features apple lifts from google this time. From what I've read the big change is going to be a bigger screen. Something Job's said they wouldn't do but then again that's what apple has a history of ( users don't need apps, tablets are a gimmick etc ). I'm mostly interested in the supposed wearable. I use a pebble now and will probably get an android wear at some point. At least there will be some useful competition as the pebble just can't compete with what wear offers. That said it seems unlikely that whatever wearable apple produces will work with android devices. I'd really like to see apple work to close the socioeconomic gap that comes with their devices ( in general those who have less run android ). Though I doubt they will as apple hasn't catered to this market in some 20+ years besides the 5c which imo doesn't really count. An easy way to see this divide is to check out some of the user maps put out this year, found here.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

@DmF: Yeah, I totally messed up. The price tag was with a contract.
iPhones are still super expensive, which is good.

As for my impressions:
Attachments
Untitled.png
Last edited by cube_b3 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

You do realize that's the SUBSIDIZED price, right? Off-contract, they're rather expensive; a used iPhone 5, depending on condition and capacity, should still be worth $100-$200 on the open market.

According to the Apple Store, the 6 and the 6+ start at $650 and $750, respectively. The 5s starts at $550, and the 5c--which has basically the same hardware as the 5--starts at $450. The low numbers you quoted are what you get when the phone cost is subsidized by a 2-year contract. However, paying the full cost of the phone up front and getting month-to-much service such as T-Mobile or Virgin Mobile actually costs you less, so long as you keep your phone for a least a year or so.

And yes, Apple gear tends to hold its value a little better, but overall gadgets are NOT an investment. You should buy them with the intent of using them up, and without the expectation of being able to resell them when you're done. They're not exactly built to last a lifetime, and the tech evolves too quickly for models that are more than a year or two old to remain desirable.

I have a 5, and I'll probably keep it until either it develops a problem or Apple Pay becomes indispensable. You shouldn't count on being able to recoup much from an older gadget when you upgrade unless you're a perpetual early adopter. Buy electronics with the intention of getting all the use you can out of them, and save your money by upgrading less often rather than counting on being able to resell the older model.

For example, I'm getting ready to buy a new laptop. I doubt I'll be able to sell my MacBook Pro at *all* at this point; it's too old to be desirable. But I did manage to make it last seven years, so I got my money's worth.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

As for my own thoughts:

The 6+ in particular has a very compelling feature set. The 1080p resolution (and the utility--both demonstrated and implied--of the additional screen space) is definitely appealing, the camera enhancements are always welcome, optical stabilization is a big plus, and Apple Pay really does have the potential to be a game-changer.

However, I'm still wary of the size. I've known people with Galaxy Notes, and those do *not* look like comfortable phones to use. They don't fit your hand well, they're not really pocketable, and they certainly wouldn't work well with the "wallet" cases I tend to prefer. I've noticed that most people with big phones like that tend to be people who carry a backpack, purse, or other sort of bag around, so they're not as worried about fitting it in a pocket.

I've only had my 5 for about 15 months (I bought it the moment it came to Virgin Mobile, which was a VERY long wait), so I probably won't be looking for a new phone until the 6s rolls around. I suppose I'll reevaluate the size issue then.

The watch I'm less sold on. The square design doesn't really appeal to me, a watch with poor battery life (as all smartwatches seem to have) seems like a hassle, and I don't really see what utility it offers unless you're part of the Fitbit crowd. It is rather clever to have the watch support Apple Pay so that 5-series iPhone users can use it as a sort of NFC upgrade for their phones, but other than that, it honestly seems like a completely unnecessary accessory. I don't think I'll be retiring my Omega any time soon :P
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:You do realize that's the SUBSIDIZED price, right? Off-contract, they're rather expensive; a used iPhone 5, depending on condition and capacity, should still be worth $100-$200 on the open market.
Apple's trade-in system is quoting me $225 store credit for my used iPhone 5 (16gb white) which is in perfect condition. So I'll be trading in my iPhone 5 for $225 and buying the iPhone 6 for $199 (plus tax). I'll probably also get the Apple official leather case for day-to-day use, and the LifeProof standard/waterproof case for occasions when I know there will be elements (pool parties, going fishing, etc.). I can get the LifeProof case on a discount so that's no problem.

The iPhone 6 announcement is a little underwhelming, but I'm excited for iOS 8's advances and integration with Yosemite, so I still have a big draw to stay on the platform. I'm also excited about ApplePay--I understand that Android phones have had NFC for some time now, but now that Apple is on board, we'll actually see significantly more businesses offering this method of payment. And since the technology isn't locked down to Apple, this is a win for everyone all around.

As for AppleWatch, I think it looks awesome and is way better than most of the offerings in the smartwatch space. But I am not really sold on wearables in general... I work from home so I barely have a reason to own a smartphone much less a smartwatch. At $349, there's no way in hell I'll be getting one of those. If it were $99 or maybe $149 I'd maybe get one to have one to fuck around with, but $349, not just no, but fuck no.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

I think we discussed cameras earlier on in this thread and I believe one of you said 48MP is nothing special and what matters is quality. Something to the effect of, "greater resolution equal to blown up blurry photos".

My Android fan boy brother took me to GSMarena and compared iPhone 5s's camera with all the other cameras on the market at the time of release and Apple ranked fairly low, if not the last place. You guys should check the website out.

I would like to physically inspect the iPhone 6 before deciding anything... but I am strongly considering iPhone 5s instead. Also my brother has increased my chances of moving to a different brand from 10% to 20%. My current plan is to target black friday as the day I buy a new phone. Now I am new to this country, and I have never engaged in the black friday or cyber monday madness. The question is does Apple engage in it or not.

I worked at Kirkland's during Black Friday and we did open at midnight and everything but we weren't really having the greatest sale of the year. We just had an additional 20% off on everything, but people were unable to use their 20% coupons so that made the whole exercise targeted towards idiots who did not know how to look for the 20% off coupon that is printed in the news paper.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

So Conan did this

In order to test the reliability of this joke I tried to find the music only videos and failed.

But I did watch the commentary videos from 6 to 4s and they are all virtually identical.

* A chip increases in number
* Pictures are not about mega pixels but gyroscope bs (as mentioned I watched a ton of photo comparisons on gsmarena.
* longer battery life
* thinner phone
* phone is getting larger

0 Hardware innovations or even evolution it is basically minimalistic refinement.
Yes, I excluded the unapologetic-ally plastic 5c.

It reminds of how I kept upgrading my Intel D815 P3 machine back in the day by changing the ram 1 year and then processor the next. Used the mother board for 6 years. I think I took it from 64mb ram to 512mb or even 1024. It had 4 ram slots. The processor even went from 500mhz to 1.4ghz.

My memory might be foggy so don't quote me on that.

Imagine if Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft introduced no original features and just ripped off features from one another. I know we already did a VG controller analogy already but look at it this way.

Nintendo innovated with Wii's motion controller.
Sony basically plagiarized it.
Microsoft innovated on their innovation and did something completely different.

Apple right now isn't even doing what Sony did. They haven't even plagarized and produced something better.

I've only been in Apple's camp for a little over a year and I have encountered some limitations like the phones inability to play midi files. I still don't have my Clotho ring tone from Columns but that is just nitpicking.

My 99% satisfaction took a hit and went down 10% when iPhone 5s offered no innovation.
I have taken another 10% hit with iPhone 6.

You have been in this camp from the beginning. How have you remained complacent for so many years?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Buy the phone that works best for you. This isn't some existential crisis, it's a damned phone.

The innovation with Apple is that it works out of the box. I used an iPhone 4S for years, but recently switched to a Galaxy S5 for giggles. I love the phone, but to ever proselytize over a damn phone is retarded. Apple and Android are two sides of the same coin. Using my Galaxy is like having a utility knife with 100 ill-tested attachments. Whereas the iPhone has 20 features, but they will damn sure work.

Thinking a phone a phone should have MIDI support is crazy. Even if they did, what instrument set would it use? I just tried opening a MIDI file in VLC and that program doesn't even support them without plugins. And all you want is the Columns theme?! Here's the damn M4R file that I made in two minutes. I've done half the work, you can crop it down with Audacity or whatever. If you don't know how to do that, learn. It's easy.

Question: If Apple isn't innovating, what features are you looking for?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:* A chip increases in number
* Pictures are not about mega pixels but gyroscope bs (as mentioned I watched a ton of photo comparisons on gsmarena.
* longer battery life
* thinner phone
* phone is getting larger

0 Hardware innovations or even evolution it is basically minimalistic refinement.
Yes, I excluded the unapologetic-ally plastic 5c.

It reminds of how I kept upgrading my Intel D815 P3 machine back in the day by changing the ram 1 year and then processor the next. Used the mother board for 6 years. I think I took it from 64mb ram to 512mb or even 1024. It had 4 ram slots. The processor even went from 500mhz to 1.4ghz.

My memory might be foggy so don't quote me on that.
I'm not sure what your point is? That producing a device that does the same things as before except faster is a waste? Maybe I shouldn't have bothered with my current computer, because despite two decades of technological improvement since the first PC I owned, it's basically a keyboard, mouse and monitor running productivity applications and games the way PCs always did.

Why can you not see the value in continued improvement? You seem to be blind to everything except new ideas.
cube_b3 wrote:Imagine if Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft introduced no original features and just ripped off features from one another. I know we already did a VG controller analogy already but look at it this way.

Nintendo innovated with Wii's motion controller.
Sony basically plagiarized it.
Microsoft innovated on their innovation and did something completely different.
Terrible example. A generation on, you've got Sony leading the current console war because they just made a simple innovation-free console, Microsoft U-turning on their decision to not unbundle Kinect because nobody wants to pay for it, and Nintendo back at the bottom of the pile promising to focus on hardcore gamers in the future.

According to the hype at the time, Nintendo's innovation was going to revolutionize the way we play games. Turns out it was a bit of a fad that caught the public's imagination for a couple of years then fizzled out. A new idea for the sake of a new idea; gamers turned their backs on motion control pretty quickly and we're right back where we started - upgraded hardware and good old reliable buttons.
cube_b3 wrote:My 99% satisfaction took a hit and went down 10% when iPhone 5s offered no innovation.
I have taken another 10% hit with iPhone 6.

You have been in this camp from the beginning. How have you remained complacent for so many years?
Like everything purchase I make, I choose based on how well something can do the things I want it to do. I'm not interested in a feature pissing contest.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

My point was that more of the same has been their only priority.

See prior to buying an iPhone I didn't really have a smart phone. So I really enjoyed properly using the iPhone but I quickly realized all the iPhone's in my home are basically the same phones.

My mom has a 3GS.
My dad has an iPhone 4.
My elder brother has an iPhone 4s.
I have a 5.

They all look almost identical.
They all ppractically have the same functions with the exception of 3GS cause Apply stopped updating it.

I don't think I've come across a phone with so little difference. I was with Nokia before this and their phones were all over the place. Additionally they consistently supported a hundred phones or so concurrently. Apple as a whole has like 10 products.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:My point was that more of the same has been their only priority.

See prior to buying an iPhone I didn't really have a smart phone. So I really enjoyed properly using the iPhone but I quickly realized all the iPhone's in my home are basically the same phones.

My mom has a 3GS.
My dad has an iPhone 4.
My elder brother has an iPhone 4s.
I have a 5.

They all look almost identical.
They all ppractically have the same functions with the exception of 3GS cause Apply stopped updating it.

I don't think I've come across a phone with so little difference. I was with Nokia before this and their phones were all over the place. Additionally they consistently supported a hundred phones or so concurrently. Apple as a whole has like 10 products.
Yep. And now Nokia have lost all their market share, had to sell their phone business to Microsoft, and promote nothing but their Lumia range - minimalist touch-screen smartphones.

What do you want Apple to do? Turn the mobile phone market completely upside-down the way they did with the original iPhone? Destroy Samsung and HTC the way they did with Nokia and Blackberry? That kind of thing is a very, very rare event.

What are Android companies doing that's any better? Isn't it all just software features? I have no idea why you've put this all on Apple.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Some things never change.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

That's the MacRumors forum thread from the announcement of the original iPod in 2001.

Choice quote:
It's now at the online Apple Store!

$400 for an Mp3 Player!

I'd call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time...and it's not really functional.

Uuhh Steve, can I have a PDA now?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Technology is iterative. Periodically, something big and new will get released that upsets the market, then that new thing will create its own product category (or redefine an existing one) as it goes through years and years of revisions and refinements.

Unless there's something you don't LIKE about the way your phone works or what you can/can't do with it, why does the category need to be redefined? Do you remember how awful and clunky phones were before the iPhone? PDAs were a dying category, the mobile web was a joke, and nobody had really innovated in mobile UI since the release of the Palm Pilot in the early 90s.

The iPhone took a really cumbersome product that nobody was really satisfied with it and turned it into the Star Trek vision of how people actually wanted it to work. It was such an obvious sea-change event that everyone else started redesigning their products in response. But the first iPhone still had plenty of rough edges, and there were lots of missing features. It couldn't run third-party apps at launch, the camera was mediocre, it didn't have anything close to the array of sensors that current models contain (nor the software functions those sensors enable), and it didn't even have 3G support. You say each iteration looks more or less the same, but the same is true of any computerized tech. A computer now looks largely the same (plus a couple ports, minus a couple drives) as one from 5, 10, even 15 years ago, but the user experience is most definitely NOT the same. We didn't have a sudden leap from the P3 to Haswell-based Core i7, because that's not how evolution works... but you'll sure as hell feel the difference.

There are two axioms regarding Apple products--really, any tech product.

1. Don't buy the first version.

The first version--the disruptive new thing--is usually only a partial realization of the product's potential, and the next couple of versions will typically add substantial new features until both the designers and the users have reached a sort of comfortable stability in terms of what they expect from it and what it can do. The iPhone has long since reached that state of stability, so improvements at this point are iterative (better processor, more storage, better camera, bigger screen, more refined UI, etc.) rather than revolutionary. That's because it's already become what it set out to be, so now it's just a matter of staying current. It doesn't need to change radically again until its design is no longer relevant/desirable.

2. Don't buy every version.

Again, evolution is iterative. Small changes over time that add up to big changes when you compare across larger gaps. Comparing your iPhone 5 to a 4S--or a 5S--may not seem like there's much point to upgrading between them. But compare it to an original iPhone, or even a 3GS, and would you really be happy with that? Of course not. Its hardware is outdated, and there has been an accumulation of new features, improvements, and refinements whose absence would be felt rather severely.

The iPhone 6 is actually a bigger change (at least, in terms immediately apparent to the consumer--I still maintain that the 64-bit architecture introduced by the 5S will really start bearing fruit in the next year or so) than the last couple of iterations. And the mobile billing system is a refinement of an old idea, yes, but--like smartphones with the original iPhone--it's something that hasn't really been done in a clean and appealing enough way to give it wide appeal and lead to mass adoption. If Apple Pay is handled well, it has the potential to be another game-changer.

But ultimately, yes, they are all still smartphones. Their basic function is largely the same. You know what a smartphone does. A revolution occurs where a revolution is called for; that revolution has already happened in the world of smartphones, and now is the long, slow process of watching that design mature. Constant revolution for revolution's sake leads to perpetual chaos and a lack of refinement on anything.

But, as it looks like we're all kind of making the same point here, that's all I'll say until a new need becomes apparent in the discussion :P
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

pixel wrote:Buy the phone that works best for you. This isn't some existential crisis, it's a damned phone.

The innovation with Apple is that it works out of the box. I used an iPhone 4S for years, but recently switched to a Galaxy S5 for giggles. I love the phone, but to ever proselytize over a damn phone is retarded. Apple and Android are two sides of the same coin. Using my Galaxy is like having a utility knife with 100 ill-tested attachments. Whereas the iPhone has 20 features, but they will damn sure work.

Thinking a phone a phone should have MIDI support is crazy. Even if they did, what instrument set would it use? I just tried opening a MIDI file in VLC and that program doesn't even support them without plugins. And all you want is the Columns theme?! Here's the damn M4R file that I made in two minutes. I've done half the work, you can crop it down with Audacity or whatever. If you don't know how to do that, learn. It's easy.

Question: If Apple isn't innovating, what features are you looking for?

:clap: I appreciate you so much right now.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Hey Pixel,

I missed your reply thanks for converting Clotho. I can't get it to download but I really appreciate you taking the time and all.

As for your question what I'm looking for has been answered earlier in the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=102879#p1042073

I wanted edge to edge display, that would have been a hardware innovation.
The side to side display was pretty cool as well.

I also like Xperia's water and shock resistant hardware.

What I did not want was a bigger phone.

I think by Next friday all of us would have physically held an iPhone 6 and then we can share our impressions.

EDIT 1: @ Pixel: I got the theme to download, however it is really soft. Not exactly a ring tone.
Could you do this?
Last edited by cube_b3 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

@ Pixel: The one you did is a little to soft to be a ring tone.
Can you do this one for me?
http://vgmusic.com/music/console/sega/g ... lassi.midi

This one was my ring tone on my old Nokia :)
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

cube_b3 wrote:I wanted edge to edge display, that would have been a hardware innovation.
All this fuss about a lack of innovation in smartphones, and your main wish is the removal of a couple of millimeters of plastic, which would offer no benefit beyond being aesthetically pleasing. Brilliant.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Did you see the video?

They had the screen extend under the speaker and home button.
As well as the sides of the phone.

I loved it.

This one is pretty good but I am not a fan of the touch screen over kill. I like the buttons.
The battery charged led is a good idea though reminds me of the crazy things that we had at devcast.