Decent PC games of the last few years?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Specially Cork
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Decent PC games of the last few years?

Post by Specially Cork »

I'm looking mainly at exclusives (including indie games), because I've already played and beaten most multiplats. Exceptions would be something like Skyrim, which has a huge modding comunity that basically makes the game worth playing all over again.

I'm open to anything except my one bogey genre - war strategy. Just don't go there.

Thanks.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: Decent PC games of the last few years?

Post by not just souLLy now »

Fez, The Stanley Parable and Papers Please?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

War strategies.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:War strategies.
I stuck that in there for you. I knew you wouldn't miss an opportunity to share the joys of watching thousands of muscular men grapple and writhe about in full HD on ultra settings...at your command! And I understand that, but none of them are actually you Jeeba, so I'd just be living a lie. I must move on. :cry:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

not just souLLy now wrote:Fez, The Stanley Parable and Papers Please?
Actually Papers Please was one game this year that my old computer was actually capable of running (unlike loads of other completely un-optimized 2D games that are now all the rage), but I did miss Fez.

Also, I need to get into Minecraft again, because I get a decent framerate now.

Right now I'm actually torn between playing Wind Waker, Xenoblade, Dragon Quest 8, or FF XII through an emulator...
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Post by Juan »

My name is Juan and I have a problem - I'm addicted to FTL

It also has the benefit of running on any computer I've thrown at it.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

Slender: The Arrival...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Bump. I just got a new laptop in October and it's been years since I've been able to play some good PC stuff.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

People play games on computers? :o
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Nevermind. I just bought Final Fantasy XIV, so that'll be all my gaming time taken up for the near future. I'm loving it so far, although it's somewhat frustrating that the best lore and world FF has had in ages happens to be an MMORPG.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Specially Cork wrote:Nevermind. I just bought Final Fantasy XIV, so that'll be all my gaming time taken up for the near future. I'm loving it so far, although it's somewhat frustrating that the best lore and world FF has had in ages happens to be an MMORPG.

I barely lasted a month. It was way too themepark-MMO for me, which is a massive shame because it was one of two of my most anticipated games of the last decade, given that I put over 4,000 hours into FFXI. Too much focus on arcade dungeons and flair, instead of a brutally immersive world and lore to explore. Oh, you're only level 10 and you have to get somewhere on the other side of the continent? Just click your teleportation "skill" and pick where you want to go, instantly. Fucking map markers. These are the things that discourage social interactions and strong communities in these games.

I know that I sound like an old disgruntled fart riding clouds of nostalgia, but it just seems that's the way of the industry these days. As publishers grow larger and larger, and are dependent more and more on the input of their shareholders, Square isn't going to make an MMO that isn't like WoW. Nor is Bethesda going to make a hardcore RPG like Morrowind again. My biggest fear lately is seeing how much more dumbed-down Fallout 4 is going to be (when you compare the progress of casualisation from Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim).
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Specially Cork wrote:Nevermind. I just bought Final Fantasy XIV, so that'll be all my gaming time taken up for the near future. I'm loving it so far, although it's somewhat frustrating that the best lore and world FF has had in ages happens to be an MMORPG.

I barely lasted a month. It was way too themepark-MMO for me, which is a massive shame because it was one of two of my most anticipated games of the last decade, given that I put over 4,000 hours into FFXI. Too much focus on arcade dungeons and flair, instead of a brutally immersive world and lore to explore. Oh, you're only level 10 and you have to get somewhere on the other side of the continent? Just click your teleportation "skill" and pick where you want to go, instantly. Fucking map markers. These are the things that discourage social interactions and strong communities in these games.

I know that I sound like an old disgruntled fart riding clouds of nostalgia, but it just seems that's the way of the industry these days. As publishers grow larger and larger, and are dependent more and more on the input of their shareholders, Square isn't going to make an MMO that isn't like WoW. Nor is Bethesda going to make a hardcore RPG like Morrowind again. My biggest fear lately is seeing how much more dumbed-down Fallout 4 is going to be (when you compare the progress of casualisation from Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim).
I don't think it's the way of the industry, I think it's about accepting that most of the people who put hundreds (or thousands) of hours into games like FF11 and Morrowind are now a decade older and have more important things on their mind than videogames. That's why games like FF14 and Skyrim have worked out very well for me - they're no longer games that require me to plan for them; they're games that can fit in whenever I have some free time.

Obviously I can only speak from my perspective. If this trend of "casualization" hadn't happened, I simply wouldn't be a gamer anymore. I'd have no time for The Last of Us without autosave checkpoints, or Xenoblade Chronicles without a "save anywhere" feature. So I'm all for it.

I know there's a vocal group of hardcore gamers who feel they have been left behind by an industry they've supported from the start, and I feel bad for them, but in working so hard to transform gaming from a niche interest into a mainstream form of entertainment, surely they understood the consequences?
SeleenX
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by SeleenX »

DaMadFiddler wrote:People play games on computers? :o
Haha :D It is rumored... but sadly it is a dying race of the PC gaming master race... :)

Bioshock Infinite, Skyrim, maybe DayZ... other than that mostly crap.... do not buy Mass Effect 3, get Mass Effect 2 that one was really great.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Alrighty. I'm actually starting to get through some stuff.

Antichamber

This was brilliant. I absolutely love the presentation and I got a lot more mileage out of it than I thought I would - there's an immense number of puzzles. My only complaint is that a serious amount of the challenge comes from the game letting you access puzzles you don't have the tools to complete yet. It's one thing to be stuck when you're certain you've got all the tools for the job, it's quite another when you're not.

Dear Esther

Absolute load of rubbish. I see what they tried to do and I have no problem with experimental experiences like this, but the writing is a disgrace. It desperately attempts to be high-brow by forcing in clumsy metaphors and filtering everything through a Thesaurus.

Gone Home

Execution is everything. The gameplay is only a notch above Dear Esther but this game does everything right. The story is well-written and slowly piecing it together is pretty satisfying - you feel like a detective rifling through papers and painting an intricate picture of a family with endless tiny snippets of information.

Broken Age Act 1

Tim Schafer's new point-and-click. Beautifully presented but way too easy. If the second act breezes by like this one did we're looking at something more like a 4-5 hour interactive novel than an epic adventure game.

Surgeon Simulator 2013

I like this. The physics are ridiculous but it's great for a laugh, even better when drunk and very satisfying when you nail it.

Stanley Parable

souLLy recommended this. I rarely laugh at games but this one got me a few times. Brilliant narration. It was fun naturally discovering some of the endings, but I ended up hitting the wiki to "collect them all".