Getting weird errors using snd_stream_poll

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
showka
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Getting weird errors using snd_stream_poll

Post by showka »

If anyone out there can try to recreate, particularly someone with a toolchain they built themselves either in Cygwin or in a Linux flavor (preferrably Ubuntu) using GCC, I'd greatly appreciate it. The steps to recreate are relatively simple.

1. Download this ogg file and save it to KallistiOS/examples/dreamcast/sound/hello-ogg/romdisk/test.ogg : http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Median_test.ogg

2. Build and run the hello-ogg example.

3. Change vorbis.c in the hello-ogg directly so the path to /rd/test.ogg instead points to /pc/$PATH_TO_YOUR_KOS_DIRECTORY/examples/dreamcast/sound/hello-ogg/romdisk/test.ogg (be careful as the /rd path appears in two places, and one just prints to the console, so it's easy to get a false positive).

4. Build and run the hello-ogg example again.

Again, while its totally possible I've screwed something up, at this point I've built three tool chains across two physical machines and this is recreating on all of them.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

According to jae686 in the IRC, he had no troubles with the hello-ogg example. I dunno if he ran through all the steps you outlined, but he asked me to pass that information along.
Bouz
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Bouz »

Has any one done the test with the 10MBps LAN adapter? It might be the source of the problem...?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I tested with the Lan adapter previously and it works fine for me with that setup... Other than there being lag from the audio data taking too long to get there, at least. I get no freezes/crashes/etc.
showka
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by showka »

So today I setup NullDC and noticed I couldn't make my program fail the same way.

So I grabbed the vorbis.elf and again, it worked fine. I fished out the cdi2nero.exe from some ancient hard drive and burned it, and whaddya know, it works.

Previously when I'd tried this, I had started with the dcload-ip disc and switched to a different disc. KOS printed a debug message saying discs were switched, which keeps me a bit suspicious that too much latency is the root cause of all this.

Of course I tried using dc-tool again right away to see if I'd screwed anything up, but got the issue.

I'm uncertain how to proceed. I've tried this on both of my Dreamcasts. I've also built a fresh dcload-ip disc as well as dc-tool.

Does it sound like the problem could really be with the BBA? I'll try a different one if I have to since nothing else seems to work, but of course I'd rather not buy a second one.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I really doubt your problem is with the BBA you're using. That just would not make any sense.