After The Fall for Sega Dreamcast

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Hi,

The following comes from my blog : http://nalacreations.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... mcast.html

I hope to have some further progress to speak of by the end of this week.

I'd been thinking that a small Quake project could work as a sort of refresher course on using the old mod tools, as there's a few larger projects I'd be keen to tackle some day.

As such, I've decided to work on an optimised port of Quake mod "After The Fall" for the Sega Dreamcast.

It's quite easy to get the mod running on the console, but I'm aiming for something a bit more special than that.

ATF is a bit of a memory hog, and so I'm going to edit some of the assets in the hope that the game will run with a more consistent frame rate.

I'll also be trying to fix any glitches I come across, such as broken textures or the game stopping map ATFE2M3 (you can get locked in a room with no exit).

The mod was also known for it's inconsistent art direction, so I'll see if I can't alter the odd texture, and I'll definitely be working on a new interface for the game (not all of Quakes fonts were replaced in the original mod, which added to the feeling of inconsistency).

Finally, I'll be creating a range of printable covers for the game, so that it can sit amongst the rest of your Dreamcast collection.

This project is very much a labour of love for me, as both Quake and the Dreamcast are favourites of mine.

Please keep in mind that I can't give a timeframe for this release as I'll only be able to work on it between other projects.

I'll be using the amazing Makaqu v1.5 and v1.1 of the ATF mod as the basis of this release. I already have the game running without any major issues, and with custom settings (I replaced some sounds that weren't playing and have set the HUD and control scheme to suit the game).
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Re: After The Fall for Sega Dreamcast

Post by Basil »

I remember reading your first thoughts about this optimized port around a year ago at your blog. I hope you will finish it someday and i will happy to play After The Fall on my Dreamcast.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Cool! I do remember swapping a couple of messages with you (Vasily?). Thanks for the support. I'll be sure to finish the project this time.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

Yep, i read your blog since that time.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

I've posted an update on my blog.

http://nalacreations.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... mcast.html

Hoping to have some images to share within the next few days.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Corbin »

I remember this mod for Quake, it came out a long time ago. It was okay, but as the OP said, was sort of "inconsistent". Looking forward to this.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Thanks! I'll try and post a proper update for this soon, but recently I've been experimenting with different engines and sketching out some potential cover art.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

DARKHALO2K wrote: I've been experimenting with different engines
Interesting! By that do you mean the existing QUAKE DC engines, homebrew, etc?
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Yes. I first got the mod up and running on Makaqu, as it's the most accomplished homebrew Quake port, by far. However, I wanted to replace a couple of textures as they don't display properly in software Quake, but found that I couldn't as the original ATF team used a lot of filenames that most Quake tools wont work with. Because of this, I experimented with the Bero GL port, but that's a buggy engine.

The original Titanium port looks fantastic, but then there's the GPL issue with that. I doubt id, Sega or Microsoft would care, but I don't know if it would be right to use it. We'll see!
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

It'd be great to at least see some screenshots or footage of this in action, if you don't feel comfortable releasing it with the Titanium port.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

I need to order a new capture device, but I'd be more than happy to upload a video or two of the QuakeDC build of ATF.

I'm now back to working on the Makaqu version, as mentioned on my blog, but will be using QuakeDC for some less memory intensive projects in the future.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

If QuakeDC is mostly outlawed, you'll probably get a stiff response from the community in general. My recommendation is to work with Makaqu and the developer directly - devs are always happy when someone develops a project to put their work to good use.

Just my two cents!
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

I don't think that any of the rights holders (Microsoft, Sega, and id Software) would care as long as any game built upon QuakeDC was released for free (id was ok with QuakeDC being available online as long as the full version of Quake wasn't included, and neither Microsoft or Sega have ever demanded a site remove it).

I'm developing my project with the community in mind, as the aim is to release an optimised version of a mod with known memory issues on the Dreamcast. And it's the issue of quality that made me experiment with QuakeDC (as well as RADQuake and Beros DCQuake); the higher resolution and texture smoothing makes for a far nicer presentation.

Anyway, as I stated above, I'm back to working exclusively with the Makaqu engine.

I'll try and post a more detailed update soon, and will use the PC version of Makaqu to create some demonstration screenshots using my current build of the mod.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

I've posted a couple of screenshots on my blog here : http://nalacreations.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... mcast.html

Hoping to pick up a cheap capture device soon, in which case I'll share some footage and screens of both versions (though I'm only working on the Makaqu build from here on out).

Starting work on some replacement artwork today. I'll be experimenting with different hud designs and altering some of the model skins in a bid to make the game more suitable for a console release and give the game a more cinsistent look.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

No major updates just yet as I've been busy moving house, but a new capture device arrived yesterday so I'll be looking to record some footage of my various builds ASAP and will post again here once it's been uploaded.
Corbin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Corbin »

Nice to hear some progress on this.
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Any update on this project? Keep up the great work.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Nothing worth sharing at the moment, though I'm hoping to finish the replacement HUD soon. I'll be sure to share some screenshots once I have.

Thanks for your interest! :grin: