Problem using Selfboot Inducer

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
joanthedark
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Problem using Selfboot Inducer

Post by joanthedark »

Good afternoon DCEmulation folks.

I want to burn a cdi Image that contains a lot of programs (Say: mame4all, dreamsnes, dcgnuboy, doom etc) all in one cd, and I am having a hard time doing it.

I use Selfboot Inducer 5.0 and it says I need SBI files in order to work.

I read somewhere on the web that you can package all your emulators in a .zip file and then rename it to .sbi, done it, Selfboot Inducer recognizes it (I don't know if it works though)

The tricky thing starts here: The program (Selfboot inducer 5.0) tells me I need the IP.bin and 1st_read.bin in order for the CDI image to work, so I notice there is a folder named "cd_root" on the program, I assume the files must go here.

The thing that I don't understand is: How do you make the CDI to work with a lot of programs? Because it ask for a single 1st_read.bin and ip.bin, so it only detects a single emulator and ignores the rest.

Thank you in advance!

P.S.: I can explain myself better if what I wrote is hard to understand.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Problem using Selfboot Inducer

Post by OneThirty8 »

You can't just zip an emulator and rename the *.zip to *.sbi. Selfboot Inducer does use the zip format for the packages, but the files inside the zipped archive need to be arranged in a specific way, and there are xml files (named with a .dxl extension) that contain information about the Dreamcast program contained in the archive, where the binary is located, and also information about where menu items associated with the program (such as a screenshot for the program menu) are located as well. There were some programs made years ago to assist you in making these files. I believe Selfboot Inducer 4 contained a simple program to do the job, so maybe Selfboot Inducer 5 does as well.
SiZiOUS
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Problem using Selfboot Inducer

Post by SiZiOUS »

Selfboot Inducer 5 doesn't include a simple program to make SBI packages, but you can use SBI Builder Wizard to perform this task.