Getting ready to attempt PS3 surgery

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Getting ready to attempt PS3 surgery

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Launch model 60GB PS3. It hasn't YLOD'd yet, but something is clearly wrong with it.

When you turn it on, you can hear the fan very strongly for about two seconds, then the fan spins down completely and stops. The system boots normally, but beeps and shuts itself down after a moment or so to prevent overheating. It started doing this a few months ago; I've kept it off and unplugged since then, except to test it once or twice and make sure it wasn't just a fluke occurrence.

If the problem is the fan itself, it should be reasonably simple to swap it out for a new one.

I'd like to open it up, put in a new fan, and perhaps replace the thermal paste and thermal pads since I'll be in there anyway. (From my understanding, Sony didn't use particularly high-quality products for either, so redoing these can significantly improve longevity.) The PS3 is a ridiculous morass of tightly packed layers, so it'll take time and care to disassemble, but the fix seems easy enough--IF it is the fan.

Has anyone here worked on PS3s? Any thoughts? Would I just be wasting time/money that would be better spent toward a new system? (Repair seems preferable to replacement if possible, as it is the fully compatible 60GB model... and any replacement I got at this point would be just as old, likely with just as much wear anyway. Plus, they seem to sell for $200+, whereas the new fan, thermal paste, and pads are $35-$50 combined.)
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Re: Getting ready to attempt PS3 surgery

Post by Code-Red »

I bought a 60GB BC model off Craigslist with YLOD for $50. I tore it down, threw it in the oven for 10 minutes at 310F to reflow the solder, then applied Arctic Silver 5. Haven't had a problem with it since.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I came across similar stories when my laptop died a few months ago. How long ago was this, and how often do you use it? From what I understand, those quick-and-dirty "oven reflows" only work for about 6 months, since you're just reflowing the old solder rather than replacing it, and introducing other weaknesses as well since the whole board's being done.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

This is a common problem.

While I never repair my own systems, back home repair centers were as common as game stores and this problem called "freezing" was very common and a quick fix for the pros.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Well, it looks like the system's a bit further gone than I'd originally hoped.

Any recommendations on a good place to get it reballed?
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

There's a place in Va that came highly recommended but I didn't wanna pay the shipping, luckily I found a place here in me that fixes it for 75 dollars.