So... Ouya. Thoughts?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So... Ouya. Thoughts?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

It's basically a $99 set-top Android device, aimed at being an open-source, accessible game console. It was a Kickstarter project, and granted, I tend to see most Kickstarter projects as some variation of this:

...but it at least sounds like they're doing everything right. The price is low, it's focused on making independent development cheap and easy, and they've already struck deals with several bigger-name game and entertainment providers, including Square-Enix, OnLive, and various streaming services. Oh, and it'll have an officially supported XBMC interface.

Just curious as to what people here thought about it. It strikes me as sort of a console counterpart to the OpenPandora, but hopefully without the near-fatal pitfalls and setbacks that project suffered. Also, since it's being pitched as "developer-friendly" rather than "emulator-friendly," and is building off an established platform (Android), it should be a bit more appealing to commercial developers.

Here's the Kickstarter page. The project had a $950k goal, and has already surpassed $7 million.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy ... me-console

Thoughts?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: So... Ouya. Thoughts?

Post by mankrip »

It's starting to look more interesting than the Wii U for me. However, replacing the Android Market/Google Play with their own store will suck.

Games bought from the Ouya store won't be immediately available to any other Android devices we own (unless they allow installing the Ouya store in them), and games/apps bought from Google Play will have to be purchased again through the Ouya store, unless the user roots their Ouyas and install the Google Play app in them. Also, certainly none of those stores will have everything the other has.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

mankrip wrote:It's starting to look more interesting than the Wii U for me. However, replacing the Android Market/Google Play with their own store will suck.

Games bought from the Ouya store won't be immediately available to any other Android devices we own (unless they allow installing the Ouya store in them), and games/apps bought from Google Play will have to be purchased again through the Ouya store, unless the user roots their Ouyas and install the Google Play app in them. Also, certainly none of those stores will have everything the other has.
The Android store is kind of a mess, though... and maybe having the Ouya bring focus to it will actually lead to improvements in the Android marketplace.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Android really seems like a double-edged sword for a home console. On one hand it means that there are existing games to port and that it will be a bit less work to put together the BSP and SDK. On the other hand virtually all extant Android games are designed around the assumption of a relatively small touchscreen rather than a traditional controller and full-size display. I've also heard rumors that Android has input lag issues in the graphics infrastructure, though I'm not sure whether that was referencing Java stuff or GLES.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Input lag I can't tell for sure, but audio lag it certainly has. Even games from big companies, like the Sonic CD port, has audio lag.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Has anyone tried or looked into any of the other Android consoles/mini PCs on DX?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

ace wrote:Has anyone tried or looked into any of the other Android consoles/mini PCs on DX?
I'll admit that I haven't looked too extensively at them, but given what I have seen--and given the general nature of DealExtreme--I'd assume they're pretty junky. Cheap, low-powered hardware with controllers that will wear out quickly and minimalist loader shells that aren't really any more sophisticated than such things were seven or eight years ago.

Everything I've ever ordered from DX (a few gaming accessories, an iPod car charger/FM transmitter cradle) has fallen apart very quickly; I'd be very hesitant to buy from them if there are better-made alternatives available. Low prices aren't really much of a savings if the product needs to be replaced in 6 months or a year.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
ace wrote:Has anyone tried or looked into any of the other Android consoles/mini PCs on DX?
I'll admit that I haven't looked too extensively at them, but given what I have seen--and given the general nature of DealExtreme--I'd assume they're pretty junky. Cheap, low-powered hardware with controllers that will wear out quickly and minimalist loader shells that aren't really any more sophisticated than such things were seven or eight years ago.

Everything I've ever ordered from DX (a few gaming accessories, an iPod car charger/FM transmitter cradle) has fallen apart very quickly; I'd be very hesitant to buy from them if there are better-made alternatives available. Low prices aren't really much of a savings if the product needs to be replaced in 6 months or a year.
It's not the low price that attracts me - it's real Android as a Home Media Centre.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

From what I recall reading, the Ouya people are partnering with the XBMC team for a robust native media player. It may be worth keeping an eye on.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

At this point, the WiiU wins out because it has Amazon Instant Video/Netflix along with new Nintendo titles. But I would buy the Ouya before an AppleTV/Boxee set-top box. I can't imagine Android has any games that would really interest me.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

DaMadFiddler wrote:From what I recall reading, the Ouya people are partnering with the XBMC team for a robust native media player. It may be worth keeping an eye on.
Yeah I've read that also. I'm sure all Android devices will eventually support XBMC.
pixel wrote:At this point, the WiiU wins out because it has Amazon Instant Video/Netflix along with new Nintendo titles. But I would buy the Ouya before an AppleTV/Boxee set-top box. I can't imagine Android has any games that would really interest me.
Don't you think emulation will be the focus of these consoles with Android games as a bonus?
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

ace wrote:Don't you think emulation will be the focus of these consoles with Android games as a bonus?
Oh yeah, it'll be a primary focus of the system. But with my PC, Wii and Xbox, I've got emulators everywhere. The big question for me is what generation of games the Ouya will be able to emulate. If it isn't higher than PS1/N64, then there's no incentive of me buying it.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

So essentially you're looking for a system that will run PCSX2, nullDC and Dolphin? That seems kind of... not the point, especially since the Ouya doesn't have an optical drive.

What it does bring up, though, is the question of content. That really seems to be the central question that'll allow this to sink or swim. The Android store helps some; opening the system up for easy at-home development and publication brings intrigue (though developers have to actually take interest for it to mean anything); having big-name developers (like Namco and Square Enix) partnered with them helps a lot more. I think they'd hoped to sidestep the initial dry spell that new consoles face by incorporating OnLive, but that company's floundering may jeopardize those plans.

However, now that Valve is starting to explore a Linux version of Steam, it would be very interesting if something developed there. That's just speculation, though; so far, afaik Steam has only appeared on x86 platforms, which the Ouya is not (I believe they're using a Tegra 3 variant).
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

PS2/GameCube on any phone/tablet platform (and Ouya basically is a tablet platform minus the LCD) is probably still at least a few years away. Not sure anyone is actively working on it. A NullDC port exists but is still preliminary and not public yet.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Here is the company's blog on the official Ouya website. It contains a little more information, though details are still a bit sketchy:

http://www.ouya.tv/blog/
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

DaMadFiddler wrote:So essentially you're looking for a system that will run PCSX2, nullDC and Dolphin? That seems kind of... not the point, especially since the Ouya doesn't have an optical drive.
I think the Ouya is a fantastic idea. But I also think it'll exist outside my current needs. Whether or not my previous post was outside the realm of possibility, running a PS2, DC or GC emulator is the only thing I can't do on my TV right now. After seven years with this current generation, all the features the Ouya will have are already present in devices I've already invested in. I'm knee-deep in emulators on older systems, a Xbox 360/PC combo has all the AAA titles and most of those devices can stream the few local media files I have. I'm glad, though, that devices aren't limiting themselves to form factor and price just for a optical drive.

Edit: If there was a Steam-compatible console/set-top box, I'd be all over it.