Weird problem on dc

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Weird problem on dc

Post by shadowrod »

I use pso v1 jp , dial up modem and sylverant patcher. I just connect to server just fine now ( what didn´t happen before when i had to try to connect several times). However when I try to download a quest or try to choose a quest on game the game freezes. When I enter a game I see that pillar in front of guild quest nothing happens .The same happens when someone is on the ship. However
when I´m already on the ship and someone joins the game does not fsod.
At first I thought it was my dc dying but I played it for several hours past week and nothing that showns signal for dc lens failure hapenned ( the long time dc owners know how to identify these problems). So I´m really puzzled by that. I´m from Brazil and I moved recently to another far place in same country. I noticed that my connection seems (despite being dial up) faster. Could be that the problem?
Thanks in advance.
shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: Weird problem on dc

Post by shadowrod »

The quest dowload problem only happens when I use pso v2...
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

play normally ...... try going through many monsters and preferably use spells that flood the screen (see if it will hang) hang if the problem is the lack of a good video card (I had similar problems bought a video card type g-force just my problems LOL)
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by shadowrod »

legit nyck wrote:play normally ...... try going through many monsters and preferably use spells that flood the screen (see if it will hang) hang if the problem is the lack of a good video card (I had similar problems bought a video card type g-force just my problems LOL)

uh...it´s the dreamcast version nick...not pc.
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

:o LOL sorry
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

My only guess on this program is that its somehow related to network lag. I don't remember having ever seen the issue you describe with quests... Is it only certain quests, or do all of them do it?

If someone is stuck looking at the pillar, it means that for whatever reason, they never got all of the synchronization data from the team leader. My guess is that when packets get lost along the way, for whatever reason, the Dreamcast doesn't resend them (which makes this happen quite a bit more on Dreamcast than other platforms).
shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by shadowrod »

You see that didn´t happen two months ago when I connected from another city. I remember before I moved , I could connect one time in four in a row but have no problem in download quests or even choose them in the game. Now I promptly connect, everything is faster even moving between ships but downloading quests even in v2 became a nightmare because of the game freezing when loading quests. As I told you my dc is fine and don´t freeze or make noises in other games or even scratch disks. Also the freeze is different...not like standard fsod or bsod...the game freezes as it was scratched or something (which is not the case). Maybe you´re right and it has something to do with latency or those lost packets you mentioned. I´ll try again to connect from my old city which I´m gonna travel this weekend and I´ll let you know. Oh and it happens with all quests!
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Sylverant sends quests at the maximum speed supported by the client's Internet connection, which isn't fully supported by PSO. PSO PC will sometimes crash when loading quests on Sylverant, and the Dreamcast might also FSOD or disconnect, too.

Differences in connection speed can also cause players to be invisible at the beginning of a quest. If player 1 finishes downloading the quest and appears in the Hunter's Guild before player 2's download is complete, player 2 will be invisible to player 1 until player 2 finishes talking to the client and moves, at which point player 2 will appear on player 1's screen.

Until BlueCrab implements a throttle to force everyone to download quests at dial-up speeds like Sega did on their server, loading quests will remain somewhat buggy on Sylverant. People with slower connections seem to have more problems than those with fast ones, which is probably why you're having difficulty using dial up on your Dreamcast.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by shadowrod »

The problem still is bothering me...Yesterday I hosted a game and everyone could join ( 3 players). Then when I tried to join later I could see that
pillar on pioneer 2 untill disconnects. Worse now, if anyone is on the lobby when I choose a block my pso fsods when entering the ship. If i´m already
on lobby and anyone enters then no problem. This happens in pso v1. In pso v2, instead of FSOD the game disconnects. What´s going on???
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Are you interacting with GC players in the lobby? It's possible that there's a bug with the Ver.1 conversion that's causing the game to freeze, I suppose. It's strange that no other DC players have reported it, though. Have you tried using another Dreamcast? The older your system gets, the more likely it will freeze while loading.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by shadowrod »

You see Ives I really believe it´s not my dc. I really know the signs of a dying dc lens and it only happens to pso. I know that to use burned isos I must record it in the slowest speed possible. Fortunately my pso v1 is a GD original. Anyway I took my dc to another location and then I played pso just fine. Obviously it happened before due to my dial up connection. This one problem is solved. However I have a question now...Is it pso v1 jp the only one that reboot equiped items specifications to starting status? Thanks God I saved on lobby or I would lose everything. Besides I noticed that if you load the character and go to game directly you lose again loaded itens. You must load, quit the game to save and connect again to make it works.
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

burned isos I must record it in the slowest speed possible.
Not really, errors in the disk can appear at any burning speed
I always burn at top speed and never faced any issues while some ppl have burned at slower speeds and the game was nearly unplayable.
Besides I noticed that if you load the character and go to game directly you lose again loaded itens. You must load, quit the game to save and connect again to make it works.
Correct. It works that way.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

JPv1 is the buggiest version of PSO ever released, so it would be in your best interest not to use it if you have another option. It's quite possible that it contains other bugs that the server doesn't deal with yet. Initially it couldn't even connect to the server at all, because its network protocol is bugged. BlueCrab had to add special code to the server to let the game even see the shipgate. JPv1 still doesn't work on other servers at all because of that very bug.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
shadowrod
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by shadowrod »

K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:
burned isos I must record it in the slowest speed possible.
Not really, errors in the disk can appear at any burning speed
I always burn at top speed and never faced any issues while some ppl have burned at slower speeds and the game was nearly unplayable.
Besides I noticed that if you load the character and go to game directly you lose again loaded itens. You must load, quit the game to save and connect again to make it works.
Correct. It works that way.
Thanks for the Info Ives and Kireek. I´ll change the pso version then lol. Regarding the dreamcast speed unfortunately I noticed that my dc does not read if I won´t record at slowest speed...anyway my dc is PAL, that one with blue logo, I dunno if it has something to do with the subject ( I remember to have been red something about that the dreamcast PAL is is more fragile than the NTSC counterparts somewhere) .Despite that, my dc run smoothly all cd´s and gd´s.