Hours put in for grad school

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hours put in for grad school

Post by Lartrak »

So I just started grad school. Looking at the workload got me thinking. I remember hearing for undergrad classes you were supposed to put in something like 2-3 hours for every credit hour of the class in a week, which I found to be ridiculously high for almost all my classes. For grad classes, I'm hearing around 3 hours per credit per class per week. This also seems high, though not nearly as ridiculous as the undergrad classes. On my estimations, I'd say it looks like more 1.5 hours per credit per week, but I just started so we'll see. I'm going for a Master's in Library Science, BTW.

I know a few people on here have gone through master's programs (Fiddler, for one, IIRC). How many hours did you find yourself putting in? I think there's a PhD on here too, or there was at one point. I gather the hours for those are insane.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Hours put in for grad school

Post by BlueCrab »

For Computer Science, I've heard that the average is 5-10 hours per week, per credit hour. I can't say that I've spent that much time during my Master's program in CS, but it certainly seems like its more than 2-3 hours per week per credit.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hours put in for grad school

Post by JuddWack »

I'm in my 2nd grad class in a field completely unrelated to my undergrad major. I'm probably at a 2:1 ratio of out of class to in class time. I feel like that is probably more than most people I've encountered so far but I haven't be there long.

Also I go to a Penn State campus for working adults located in the center of a corporate suburban jungle. It might be different where everybody was fulltime with little outside distraction and could dedicate themselves completely to school. I doubt anybody coming out of my school is going to turn into real thought leaders or innovators in the field.