Did I order a duff SD card reader?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Did I order a duff SD card reader?

Post by MethodGit »

Hello again folks. I recently bought one of those "new-fangled" (:P) SD card readers with the serial port for my wonderful Dreamcast from this site, seeing as it was the cheapest solution I could find (the Taobao one had hideous shipping prices for which I was not willing to part cash for).

Having tried to put it into my DC just now, I find I'm unable to even get it to fit into the serial port for whatever reason - it doesn't 'click' into place or even go in fully. Maybe I'm just being stupid about this, but here are the photos of what I've got (taken with an iPhone, so apologies if the quality isn't good enough)...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Is there anything at all odd about the port end or am I not cramming it in hard enough?
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Re: Did I order a duff SD card reader?

Post by PH3NOM »

MethodGit wrote:Is there anything at all odd about the port end or am I not cramming it in hard enough?
Haha :lol: if you have to jam it in, something must not be right.

That would bum me out. I hope you can get it to work :o
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Some people just had a hard time getting it in. I heard one dude didn't try enough.

Its been since October 4th, any news on if you got it working or not?
MethodGit
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MethodGit »

Late I know, but it's not an issue anymore - I just had to get used to the fact that it doesn't 'click' into place! :lol:

I guess I should've figured that out to begin with, what with this being a very 'hacky' way of implementing SD card support into a late 90's console. I'm not too sure if the alternative SD method I've seen on a video or two - with a slot built at the front of the console - would be any speedier or 'clickier' mind you.

This adapter's practically hugging the video plug next to it, so I need to be careful when taking it out or putting it back in. At least it supports MicroSDHC!
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Sorry for the monster bump, but I have the exact same model SD adapter.

For some reason I can't get it to work. It's fully seated, and I didn't have to jam it in. I've verified the SD card is working, and formatted to fat16.

But... neither the SD loader, or File browser in Dreamshell show the adapter as being present. The option is grayed out...

Any ideas, or did I just get a bum device? Since the price of return shipping would make a return useless, I'd be wary of buying another device.

That is .... unless of course ... someone knows of a more reliable model from a different company...? Mine like above is marked as "HEYU".
ImageImageImageImage
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Iirc mine's also a HEYU model. I've got a bit of trouble getting it to work, because I had to push it really hard into the DC's serial port, but it worked wonderfully afterwards.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Mine is seated in as far as it can physically go, so I guess I'm simply one of the unlucky ones who got a non-working device. There's bound to a failure rate on manufacturing these, but I wonder how high it is.

Considering I can't even be assured if I ordered another it would work, I won't bother. I'll have to look into some other alternatives when I get the time down the road.

Thanks for the assistance. :)
ImageImageImageImage
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Stryfe wrote:Mine is seated in as far as it can physically go, so I guess I'm simply one of the unlucky ones who got a non-working device. There's bound to a failure rate on manufacturing these, but I wonder how high it is.

Considering I can't even be assured if I ordered another it would work, I won't bother. I'll have to look into some other alternatives when I get the time down the road.

Thanks for the assistance. :)
Just a shot in the dark, but trying cleaning the pins on your card reader and inside the port of the Dreamcast with a q-tip and some alcohol.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Thanks DanteJay, but no dice.

I guess I'll have to be patient until I get the tools necessary to build my own.
ImageImageImageImage