PS3 Price Drop

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PS3 Price Drop

Post by DanteJay »

Starting immediately, it's now $249.99 for the 160GB model.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/16/ps3-price-cut-to-250/
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: PS3 Price Drop

Post by melancholy »

Wow, that seems like a terrible idea right now when they are having trouble even stocking the units. Seriously, PS3's are a rare sight around town. Everyone is either completely sold out or only have 1-2 systems. I hope they have a plan to push thousands of units to retailers real fast.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

melancholy wrote:Wow, that seems like a terrible idea right now when they are having trouble even stocking the units. Seriously, PS3's are a rare sight around town. Everyone is either completely sold out or only have 1-2 systems. I hope they have a plan to push thousands of units to retailers real fast.
Perhaps it depends on the region? They are regularly in stock at my local stores. I was at Walmart yesterday, and there were some.

Although, I have a gut feeling that something is up. I don't think they needed to drop at the moment, and it's not like Microsoft did it either. I wonder if they are in fact prepping the PS4 to come out much sooner than expected.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DanteJay wrote:
melancholy wrote:Wow, that seems like a terrible idea right now when they are having trouble even stocking the units. Seriously, PS3's are a rare sight around town. Everyone is either completely sold out or only have 1-2 systems. I hope they have a plan to push thousands of units to retailers real fast.
Perhaps it depends on the region? They are regularly in stock at my local stores. I was at Walmart yesterday, and there were some.

Although, I have a gut feeling that something is up. I don't think they needed to drop at the moment, and it's not like Microsoft did it either. I wonder if they are in fact prepping the PS4 to come out much sooner than expected.
My guess is that they want to make sure they are set to beat out Microsoft this holiday season. There's no doubt that parents looking to buy a game system for Christmas would have seen the $100 price difference between PS3 and 360 as a deciding factor, so they decided to close the gap a bit. It also probably doesn't help that Move was a pretty big failure while Kinect, while only marginally better, is going for round 2 of influencing sales. Offering the system at $50 cheaper than the Kinect bundle and pricing the Move bundle at the same price as a Kinect bundle might be their way of fending off Kinect sales. Of course that whole strategy would go to pot if Microsoft dropped the Kinect price by $50.

Either way, I don't think this decision has anything to do with a PS4.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

IIRC, they're also introducing a new hardware rev (rumored to be "hack-proof", though the scene has a tendency to say that about every new hardware rev); the combo of price cut and low stock might be an attempt to clear out the old stuff.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

The systems only been profitable for a couple of years... And they're finally nearing surpassing the 360 in global sales... and now have way more exclusive content than the 360... I don't see the PS4 coming anytime soon. Maybe a 2013 E3 showing.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I refuse to buy another Sony console until they stop peddling that shit 17 year old control pad.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

not just souLLy now wrote:I refuse to buy another Sony console until they stop peddling that shit 17 year old control pad.

While I'm a diehard mouse+keyboard for FPS... the 360 controller is TEN times more bearable for that genre than the PS3...
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:I refuse to buy another Sony console until they stop peddling that shit 17 year old control pad.

While I'm a diehard mouse+keyboard for FPS... the 360 controller is TEN times more bearable for that genre than the PS3...
Why do people think the XBox/Xbox 360 controller is better? It's exactly the same as the Playstation controller with the left stick swapped with the dpad.

Besides, anyone will tell you the Playstation controller is FAR better. :P :lol:
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Yeah, Sony pads always felt a bit wrong to me. It's like they wanted to clone the SNES pad, but needed to add their own special fuckups in order to own it. Also, I noticed that newer DS2 pads seem to feel a bit cheaper than the old ones. It might just be my imagination, I guess.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Chilly Willy wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

Why do people think the XBox/Xbox 360 controller is better? It's exactly the same as the Playstation controller with the left stick swapped with the dpad.

Besides, anyone will tell you the Playstation controller is FAR better. :P :lol:

I have small hands for someone of European descent... And the PS controller is still too small for me. It's impossible for anyone to wrap their hands around while using the joysticks.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Chilly Willy wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

I loved my Playstation pad and have defended it many times on this forum and in other places.
Then I bought a 360. WOW.
I can't play shit on my PS3 anymore. The pad just feels cheap, nasty and uncomfortable in comparison.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Honestly, I use either controller just fine. For me, it's only a swapped analog stick position. I do tend to like the PS3 controller slightly more just because the 360's battery pack is in a ridiculous position that crams my fingers.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Chilly Willy wrote:
Jeeba Jabba wrote:

No, that's just you.

The PS3 controlller is shit. Hasn't been good since the original Playstation.
mrandyk
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by mrandyk »

PS3 controller does suck.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Very tempting. I really want a PS3 but I'm afraid it might interrupt school. Walmart has a deal now, $300 for an extra controller, headset, blueray remote and "Game of your choice". I just got a $100 gift card from thankyou.com too... Hrm...
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Most people I know that defend the PS controller consider it perfect. Which I find insane, as it's uncomfortable no matter how you are using it. The only thing I guess would feel normal playing on it, would be a very menu driven RPG, that only uses dpad and face buttons (which made sense for post SNES games.) Pushing any other button feels so awkward to me. The dpad on the controller, when used heavily hurts my thumb too.

I have a lot of well deserved hate for sony. But I do own a PS2 and agree that it has a pretty solid library, but I have nothing good to say about the controller I use for it.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

I don't consider the PS controller "perfect" by any means, but a lot of people seem to hate it for no particular reason other than "if I play with it for 100 hours straight, I get a hand cramp!" Well DUH! There are plenty more other controllers that are FAR more uncomfortable than the PS controller. You want uncomfortable, that's the N64 controller. :lol:

My main complaint is I prefer six face buttons instead of four. That's better for fighters than four buttons. The Saturn controller was nearly perfect... just add two analog sticks to the standard Saturn pad and you have the "perfect" controller... in my opinion. 8-)
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

BTW, I don't know if any of you know this, but the ps3 works with many usb controllers. I found this out last night over at my friends house. I had my logitech controller and suggested plugging it in. We didn't really think it would work, but it fucking did. I was pretty dumbfounded at the entire situation. Now that I've found that out the ps3 has a much larger selection of controllers than the 360 and that makes it pretty bitchin in my book. I use that logitech controller to play games on my netbook and sometimes on my desktop and now I can use it to play games on a ps3? Not every controller works, but it really seems like a lot of them do. Controllers that need special drivers (360 controller) are not going to work, but fighting pads, most pc steering wheels, and many other controllers work just fine.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

You can run into some snags, though, since some games expect/require motion control and most pads also don't have a "PS button".