Cubic Vr

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cubic Vr

Post by park »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXGoPDbv3wk

What do you guys think this 3d engine be usful for?Or is only for demo purpose?I think he may have it up for download for the dc.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Cubic Vr

Post by Neoblast »

I could guess performance with this wouldnt be quite high...
I wonder how many polygons per second and framerate can you get with it...
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

i've got two responses from the author:
It's using the KGLX (PVR OpenGL) library from Kallistios coupled with the compiled normal & dynamic lighting arrays from CubicVR's SH4 Optimized lighting. Currently only point lights are supported but there is no limit on the number of lights. The PowerVR in the Dreamcast can only transform 3Million polys/sec but has no lighting engine .. However the SH4 can actually transform 5Million/sec which makes it ideal for lighting -- but it can only be utilized efficiently through SH4 Assembly code.
I haven't taken a look at the chui improved version but I have downloaded a copy now (thanks for the suggestion) and will definately check it out as I was having serious memory and clipping issues with the standard kglx.

I've already gone to the extent of building the lighting engine from scratch so I will probably investigate what it would take to use the powervr api directly -- but I'm guessing we'll stick with OpenGL bindings as they're the most compatible between platforms.
park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by park »

Seems they took notice that some people wanted them to continue dc development and have started to do so again.But they also ask for people that know how to program for the dc to take a look at it and help out. http://www.cubicvr.org/index.php?option ... e&Itemid=1
Re:Dreamcast port 2 Weeks, 2 Days ago Karma: 4
Thank you everyone for the interest and support!

I have committed the first portions of the DC projects to the CubicVR GIT repository. At the present time it successfully builds along with Bullet 2.78 and one of the physics example projects but I have not had a chance to test if the result actually works yet

I will be doing some work on it in the near future and hopefully can get something stable out this summer for folks to tinker with. Anyone with DC dev experience is encouraged to help test and submit issues, ideas and patches via GitHub.

Cheers,
-CJ
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

I have compiled the CubicVR engine, it is running on Dreamcast.

But, I am not sure if the included demo, 'bullet', is supposed to be rendering textured polygons or not.
It currently renders un-textured polygons, with a maximum frame-rate reported at 20fps.

I have tested on real hardware, and the results are the same:
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

:(
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by park »

PH3NOM wrote:I have compiled the CubicVR engine, it is running on Dreamcast.

But, I am not sure if the included demo, 'bullet', is supposed to be rendering textured polygons or not.
It currently renders un-textured polygons, with a maximum frame-rate reported at 20fps.

Iam guessing its suppose to look like either of these 2.Most likely the more simple scene.It doesnt seem to be that slow in these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXGoPDbv3wk , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFMEAeUpCAA
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

I tried that example and it's textured.

Emus have some problems with the homebrew stuff...
park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by park »

Looks like he answered you question personally Phenom back at where u posted it at cubivr forum.And he still seems to be requesting help for the dc section if anyone(knowledgeable in dreamcast's workings) wants to help him out ,I guess.
Hey PH3NOM,

You hit the exact same issue I did when I fired up the port recently; since the last working build I've apparently broken or hit a bug with the optimizations that use the KGLX OpenGL transform stack -- as a result only objects positioned by bullet are showing (hence the missing landscape). The missing texture issue was simple, I have a fix for that but am waiting to commit it when the transform issue is resolved.

I'm likely going to scrap using the KGLX transform stack and roll one that leaves room to customize SH4 ASM for optimal handling of all transforms. The stack needs to be rewritten for OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenGL 3.x as well so I'm making it my top priority for the next commit. I will first implement the transform system in pure C++ and then will provide the SH4 optimizations later on for DC.

Cheers,
-CJ
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

park wrote:

Looks like he answered you question personally Phenom back at where u posted it at cubivr forum.And he still seems to be requesting help for the dc section if anyone(knowledgeable in dreamcast's workings) wants to help him out ,I guess.
Hey PH3NOM,

You hit the exact same issue I did when I fired up the port recently; since the last working build I've apparently broken or hit a bug with the optimizations that use the KGLX OpenGL transform stack -- as a result only objects positioned by bullet are showing (hence the missing landscape). The missing texture issue was simple, I have a fix for that but am waiting to commit it when the transform issue is resolved.

I'm likely going to scrap using the KGLX transform stack and roll one that leaves room to customize SH4 ASM for optimal handling of all transforms. The stack needs to be rewritten for OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenGL 3.x as well so I'm making it my top priority for the next commit. I will first implement the transform system in pure C++ and then will provide the SH4 optimizations later on for DC.

Cheers,
-CJ
Wow, that guy is awesome. I knew I had it right :lol:

I look forward to his next build. Later, I will post back on that forum.
park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by park »

Looks like he gave you the go ahead on implementing vq texture compression.Looks like the dreamcast version might be going somewhere now.
Hey PH3NOM/All,

The latest commit to github is now working (and textured) on DC again; I was able to replace the GL matrix stack dependence with a far simpler one which will be optimized for SH4 soon. The landscape appears to have some new bullet quirks but they are present on all platforms so that should be resolved soon as well.

And PH3NOM feel free to give the VQ texture support a go -- all I load right now is PCX files so that area will be DC-specific; you should find what you need in Texture.cpp and possibly IMAGE.cpp.

Feel free to move the conversation over to a GitHub issue and we can reference lines of code and post comments there.

Cheers,
-CJ
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

The latest build has those bugs I experienced worked out, and the FPS is much higher on Dreamcast ( ~60fps at idle )

The render quality is very possibly the best I have ever seen on DC.

It will be very interesting to see what we can do with this engine!

At the very least, it is a very impressive tech demo.

In case anyone else wanted to check it out, I have uploaded a scrambled binary:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GPYP6629

PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Now supporting PVR (VQ) Textures.

The textures included with the source ( 64x64 .pcx ~20kb )
For testing I grabbed some higher res textures from the 'net ( 256x256 .pvr (vq) ~20kb )

park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by park »

PH3NOM wrote:The latest build has those bugs I experienced worked out, and the FPS is much higher on Dreamcast ( ~60fps at idle )

The render quality is very possibly the best I have ever seen on DC.

It will be very interesting to see what we can do with this engine!

At the very least, it is a very impressive tech demo.

In case anyone else wanted to check it out, I have uploaded a scrambled binary:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GPYP6629
Wow.Thats before optimizing for dreamcast no?(he did say something along those lines.)So I see youve made your own addition,explains why you were so quiet hehe.The darker areas are there because they are faded out/clipped or because its not lit?Since you seem rather impressed with it and made your own addition,do you plan to help out on it every now and then?Hopefully it becomes more than an impressive tech demo.Hmm tried to build a cdi but it looks like the tools I normally used arent compatible with 64bit windows.Looks like ill have to use my xp pc.

Edit:Finally got it to work.Wouldnt work for me in nulldc when built with fastboot.Had to use bootdreams.Didnt feel like burning a disc.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

Impressive... glad to hear this engine is being worked up...

Phenom, Do you think it will reach a decent performance anytime soon?
What is the max polygons you could show at 60 or 30 fps with this build?
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Neoblast wrote:Impressive... glad to hear this engine is being worked up...

It is very impressive, considering the level of physics being used.

Why dont you take a look at the current build, supporting PVR textures and see for yourself!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QI8TEED5
park
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by park »

PH3NOM wrote:
Neoblast wrote:Impressive... glad to hear this engine is being worked up...

It is very impressive, considering the level of physics being used.

Why dont you take a look at the current build, supporting PVR textures and see for yourself!
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QI8TEED5
What exactly do you use to make pvr textures with vq compression though.
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

park wrote:What exactly do you use to make pvr textures with vq compression though.
A modified version of vqenc, source and .exe included here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UL7QOSAZ
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Ayla »

The second one needs anti-aliasing... But is really impressive :)
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

Initial 30 fps, so far it looks good.
When popping up a few boxes it slows down a lot....
It would need antialiasing and some other features the DC can do...

So... is the cubicvr owner going to work on the dreamcast port of the engine?
People sure showed support there...

EDIT: Nevermind I see this build isn't optimized, I?m sure queezing the pvr andsh4 will give a great performance :)

BTW look at this tech demo for dc:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2PyYxI_ ... ded#at=137