Dreamcast question

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast question

Post by Smiley »

So Im burning a homebrew game in cdi format using disjuggler: followed a tutorial on youtube on how to burn; Yet they boot past the licensed by sega screen and then goes back to that one screen wheere u choose to play a music cd or manage your memory saves. Is it how Im burning or xouldit be the cd rs that I am using. Using TDK's.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Re: Dreamcast question

Post by mankrip »

Maybe the CDI file wasn't properly built.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

It might be the discs. Does it sound like it's trying to read and then gives up?

Try burning DAO and not SAO (disk-at-once, not session-at-once).

Other things you can try:
-Try different burn speed
-Alternately, you can try burning with Alcohol 120%.
-Upgrade your cd burner's firmware with new OEM or Custom firmware (CodeKing over at CDfreaks is a wizard with custom firmware).
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

DanteJay wrote:Try burning DAO and not SAO (disk-at-once, not session-at-once).
What's the difference? Most references I've seen either just stick with one term or explicitly say that they're synonyms (e.g. cdrecord/wodim).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Ex-Cyber wrote:What's the difference? Most references I've seen either just stick with one term or explicitly say that they're synonyms (e.g. cdrecord/wodim).
According to CDRfaq.org:
If you use disc-at-once (DAO) recording, the lead-in is written at the very start of the process, because the contents of the TOC are known ahead of time. With most recorders there is no way to specify that more than one session should be created in DAO mode, so creating a multisession disc with DAO recording isn't generally possible. Such discs must be created with track-at-once (TAO) or session-at-once (SAO) recording.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

I just went through an entire spindle of blank cds trying different settings..nothing
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

It may be your CDs or your CDI file. I always use Taiyo Yuden for CDs and DVDs.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Thing is: some of them booted past the title screen and then went back to the music screen, while others stayed on the white dreamcast screen before going to that very same music screen. IVE BEEN USING TDK BRAND CD-R'S.
k3nny1550
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by k3nny1550 »

Did you check the model on your Dreamcast? If it's made on or after October, 2000 with firmware 2, then there's significantly less chance of being able to run homebrew. I would know because I happen to own an October 2000 dreamcast with Firmware 2. So I can't run any homebrew most likely. I've tried once or twice to make a boot disc, think I might have used a demo of Alcohol 120% but I forget.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Smiley wrote:Thing is: some of them booted past the title screen and then went back to the music screen, while others stayed on the white dreamcast screen before going to that very same music screen. IVE BEEN USING TDK BRAND CD-R'S.
When you say "past the title screen", do you mean that the program you burned actually puts something on the screen? Also, is it consistently the same behavior with each program each time you run it, or is it intermittent?
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Alcohol 120% may no longer be the best option for most.

I've personally switched to the freeware ImgBurn. All you need is a single library file from Padus's site. Actually, you may even be able to use the one included with Bootdreams. It's worked great for the last ten, or so, cdi images I've burned.

You'll know which one I mean if you try burning a CDI right after installing ImgBurn. It won't waste your disc, but it'll pop up with an error.

BTW:
Are you using Bootdreams to build the image, or something like Selfboot Inducer?
ImageImageImageImage
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Which homebrew program are you trying to burn?